• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    My boys are putting me in the red shooting my AR's and I plan on buying some high cap mag fed 22LR semi-auto rifles to satisfy their shooting enjoyment and keep me from having to sell a kidney to help finance the ammo costs.

I'm having a little difficulty deciding between two Remington 597's and two ATI GSG-16's.
    For those unfamiliar with the ATI GSG 16 here is a link:https://palmettostatearmory.com/ati-gsg-16-22-lr-16-25-carbine-black-gerggsg1622.html

The cost difference is not an issue and I admit the ATI-GSG-16 is a much more attractive looking firearm than the Remington 597 and I have researched the GSG-16 extensively and the reviews are overwhelmingly positive, but I would appreciate the input from members here who own them and have some experience with them.

Which ever I buy the rifle will see use at least one range session a month and at least 500 rounds will be fired through each per outing.

Thank you to those who reply for your time.

Arthur.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I can’t help on the GSG, but I’ve not heard very many good things about the Remmy 597. I’d avoid the 597.

If you want an alternative to compare the GSG with, I’d look at the Ruger 10/22.

I’d probably buy the 10/22 over just about any semi-auto 22 for the purposes you are looking at.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I’d look at the Ruger 10/22. .

what he said!!!!

I have a gsg5 and a 5pk, they both picky on ammo, and the 5 has been back to the factory 3 times!

I have 3 10/22's and cant say enough good about them!!! when I worked in a gun shop and someone asked about a 22 rifle, its the first one I recommended!!!, its a platform that can grow with the shooter!, if you want you can buy kits for the 10/22 that will make it look like anything from a p90 to a mg42, but you can also swap trigger parts, barrels, stocks as your kids grow, you can easily make it a competition gun by dropping a bx trigger in it (3 pound pull) for about 55 bucks, or drop some serious coin on a brimstone trigger, or buy the tandemkross trigger kit, and do the work yourself!, buy a volquartsen or tacsol barrel and make 1 hole groups. or leave it stock, one if mine is a tricked out steel challenge race rifle, one is a heavy barrel, thumbhole stocked tac driver, and the third is stock. AND you can do just about anything to that gun without needing a gunsmith!

I know you said you had 2 boys, you can buy a version (or buy an aftermarket) that has a collapsible stock (like an ar15) so it will fit them (and you!)

the 10/22 is cheaper than the ati (you should be able to pick one up new for around 200), a 25 round ruger bx25 mag is about 20-25 bucks, plus ruger will stand behind their product! one of my 10/22's (bought in the 80's according to the serial number) was having light strikes I called ruger, and they asked if I wanted to fix it myself, or sent it to them, they sent me the parts (free) and I did it myself, my gsg had a 3 year warranty!

I don't think any gun collection in America is complete without at least 1 10/22!

so my opinion of the gsg5 isn't very high! and i'd bet the only difference between the gsg5 and the gsg16 are the outsides, and well...you can put lipstick on a pig...but in the end, its still just a pig!

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Another vote for the Ruger 10/22. You can get 10-, 15- or 25- round mags. Custom modifications to suit your wallet and taste and they have been a proven platform for decades.

Second choice if you are just commited to an AR style .22 would be the M&P

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Another vote for the 10/22... If you don't have one in your safe, pick one up on the way home and let your boys give it a try this weekend...

Customizations = your wallet size.

That's what my sons started with and we are now at 3.

:ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Best solution;

Buy a M&P 22 and a 10/22. They can switch off and learn both platforms.

Maybe even scope the 10/22 and RDS the M&P 22?

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    The S&W M&P 15 in 22lr is a proven platform.

Thank you for the suggestion coincidentally I just realized I had over looked the M&P 15/22LR as a very viable and reliable platform.

I also considered the 10/22 and still might end up with it as its as good a GP semi-auto 22 as can be bought. I asked about the 597 and the GSG-16 as I have no real 1st hand experience with either. I have many friends who own 10/22's and all have been quite satisfied. I was just looking for something different as long as it equaled the 10/22's reliability and durability. Not looking to do any custom work at this point.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Tippman M4-22 is a solid choice. Or maybe a dedicated 22 upper for you AR. Both are budget dependent though.

It may not be unique, but it’s just hard to beat the 10/22 if you want an inexpensive and reliable 22. The M&P 15-22 would be next.

There is the Ruger Charger as well, could set it up as braced pistol.

The Savages aren’t bad choices either. Better than the Remmy.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    10/22 or M&P 15-22. I'll also add that you can get 110 round GSG drum mags for the 10/22. My daughter has 2 drum mags, 2 BX25/2 mags along with another 4 regular Bx25 mags. That's 440 rounds loaded and ready to go before we even hit the range

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'll echo the choir and say 10/22 or S&W. But, if you wanted to slow them down just a little, there's a reason it took so long for the 10/22 to overtake the Marlin model 60. It's a heck of a rifle sold for peanuts. If not for tube fed vs mag fed, I believe it would still be #1.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Thank you for the suggestion coincidentally I just realized I had over looked the M&P 15/22LR as a very viable and reliable platform.

I also considered the 10/22 and still might end up with it as its as good a GP semi-auto 22 as can be bought. I asked about the 597 and the GSG-16 as I have no real 1st hand experience with either. I have many friends who own 10/22's and all have been quite satisfied. I was just looking for something different as long as it equaled the 10/22's reliability and durability. Not looking to do any custom work at this point.

with the popularity of the 10/22 if you buy one now, and decide to modify it 20 years from now, you’ll still be able to find parts!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Another direction is to influence the boys to shoot accurately at longer distances. .22LR bolt gun, decent glass, bipod, rear bag. Spotting scope for the spotter.

Anyone can pull the trigger fast. It takes real marksmanship and discipline to shoot well accurately.

Top Bottom