Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ACCURACY OF RUGER 22/45 TACTICAL PISTOL

Plinker

User Info Menu

ACCURACY OF RUGER 22/45 TACTICAL PISTOL

Hey guys, I know some of you have ruger 22/45 .22lr pistols.I am wondering about if this pistol can do head shots on coyotes consistently at 50 yards if I do my part.I want to get this one because of upper and lower rails for sights and light.If this pistol cant do that tight of group, I might have to go with a smith wesson model 41 with upper rail only and no light rail on bottom.I plan on using segmented 32grain bullets from CCI.With ruger I can put a ACCU-SHOT MONOPOD on lower rail for stability,thanks for input on idea.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I know some of you have Ruger 22/45 .22lr pistols. I am wondering about if this pistol can do head shots on coyotes consistently at 50 yards if I do my part.
    My older 22/45s are capable of that level of accuracy and I would think the newer Tactical would be as well. I mostly use 40 grain for accuracy. Not familiar with the CCI 32 grain segmented bullet.

User Info Menu

I think you'll find that, by far, the most limiting factor in this will be the shooter.

A bonafide pistol scope will help a great deal.

50 yards is hard to even resolve the head of a coyote unless it's open, and the coyote is still.

Be it pest control or hunting, you owe it to the coyote to be sure that you won't just maim it to run and die a horrible death hours or days later.

User Info Menu

I would think if you're wanting to shoot totes at 50 yards a rifle sure would be more suited for that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by d.kaufman View Post
    I would think if you're wanting to shoot totes at 50 yards a rifle sure would be more suited for that

This. and if MUST be a rimfire, I'd opt for a 22WMR or 17HMR. LR is a bit small for a dog sized animal unless you are talking about a SHTF situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

User Info Menu

As stated, they certainly can be accurate enough.

There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phylodog View Post
    As stated, they certainly can be accurate enough.

If we didn't see the group that produced, how would we know? Man sized silly-wet is a pretty big tgt at 80 yds.

I have and have had several rimfire pistols capable of head shots on squirrels at 50 yds. The question always was, am I capable of headshots with a pistol at 50 yds. Still trying to understand why he's limiting himself with the pistol. Sounds like a bad choice if dead coyote is the true end game.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t take 50yd shots on a coyote with a 22lr pistol, just demonstrating that it’s possible.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

I own more than several, suppressed and unsuppressed, over the past 25 or so years. RIght ammo, right conditions, right light, yeah, maybe.

As for me, I know it's just a coyote, but if I needed to kill it and avoid suffering, I'd want a rifle.
    I told you to buy ammo, mags and lowers. Get on it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phylodog View Post
    I wouldn’t take 50yd shots on a coyote with a 22lr pistol, just demonstrating that it’s possible.
    Not picking on you my friend. Just separating possible from likely. Hope you and the farm are getting along.

Last edited by patience0830; 01-25-2020 at 00:00.
    Parkerizing lollipops since 1973.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast