• Which would you have to procure and rely on in SHTF? 9mm JHP, or 45acp FMJ

• Total voters

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I seriously think The Walking Dead or The Road type economic collapse is a lil far fetched. No ones running through tubs of ammo. If one is constantly getting into firefights, they're doing it wrong and wont last very long to even be worried about ammo inventory.

9mm or 45acp? Matters none. I trust the SME's who do this for a living. There are no advantages to 45acp over 9mm.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I figure I would just find a case of .45 ACP Hollowpoints and a case of canned bacon. Or Vienna Sausages. Gotta love those slimey lil suckers

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    The solution is to have a viable qty of defensive ammo on hand. I really can't imagine any scenario where I would ever deplete 1000 rounds of defensive handgun ammo.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . I figure I would just find a case of .45 ACP Hollowpoints and a case of canned bacon. Or Vienna Sausages. Gotta love those slimey lil suckers

WHY is that one cannot find a case (or a can) of reasonably priced canned bacon anymore? Pop, a penultimate cold warrior, used to keep a few cans of the Dak brand around. I haven't seen it in years, but even then it was kind of expensive.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'll go with a bigger hole and more penetration.

Wait, what thread is this? :pimp:

KJHMshX.jpg

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    In keeping with my normal tendency, I'll take the option not offered,........40S&W.

Easy cartridge to reload and it's a good cast bullet round. 180gn cast swc can put out a lot of hurt,.....wouldn't be afraid to tackle a large bear with one. Size/weight/capacity is very good. Lots of modern, incredibly inexpensive used models just begging for buyers. Just shot a couple of them today in fact and I have less than $500 in the pair. They're both 11+1.

20200123_185630 (Small).jpg

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    9mm and 45 both suck equally. I ditched 45 many moons ago. I can handload and shoot twice as many 9mm for the same money.

HP vs FMJ.....meh, I carry whatever I can order in bulk and get a deal on.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    It's handgun ammo. .096" ain't enough size difference to be worth giving up capacity. I'm not talking about running around with 400 rounds at the ready but unless you can reload faster than whoever is shooting at you can fire another round you're putting yourself at a disadvantage. Believing you'll enjoy 100% accurate shot placement (or anywhere near that) in a life and death fight at anything past two feet is a dream. Might it happen? Sure. Are the odds in your favor with bullets coming your way? Not by a long shot.

Carry what you have and can shoot proficiently. A .45" round hole drilled through a non vital area of a committed attacker isn't going to accomplish much more than the .354" hole will. You gotta put the rounds where they count. Odds aren't good that it'll be easy, you're likely to need several attempts. I'd rather be shooting than reloading if someone is shooting at me.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    At that point I think your choices are being dictated to you by circumstance and availability.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I reload and shoot both calibers. Nothing scientific, but I like the bigger hole created by 230gn round nose.

I am a dyed in the wool .45 CP guy through and through.

But I pray never to be shot with either caliber. Please.

I have in the last couple of years acquired some really nice CZ's in 9mm and a 9mm AR pistol. My truck bag is all 9mm with the AR and a well tuned CZ.
    The AR fits in he bag very well. And no sense mixing calibers so it is all 9mm may God save my soul.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    9MM, it’s everywhere the world over. I run out, just stop at the crashed MRAP, take their bullets. I’m in Africa, stop at the crashed Hilux, or Land Cruiser, take their ammo. In South America, stop at the crashed Nova, take their ammo. At Walmart stop...wait they don’t have ammo.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Yeah, I see lots of 40S&W guns for sale at good prices all the time, since it has fallen out of favor with law enforcement. I agree, there may very well be a pendulum swing back to the 40 at some point...

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    9MM, it’s everywhere the world over. I run out, just stop at the crashed MRAP, take their bullets. I’m in Africa, stop at the crashed Hilux, or Land Cruiser, take their ammo. In South America, stop at the crashed Nova, take their ammo. At Walmart stop...wait they don’t have ammo.

Says I have to spread the rep around a bit.

Top Bottom