• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    Granddaughter is in the IMPD academy class 20 . She informed me that they can purchase an AR and qualify with it . Any idea what brand or brands they must purchase ? What optics or sights they require ? I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another weapon .

utahskies

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    NWI
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]https://citybase-cms-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/66f41663c4394ab9aaf58c7c4f7a4fc7.pdf[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]GENERAL ORDER 1.8 EFFECTIVE APRIL 21,2015 [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]AUTHORIZED PATROL RIFLES [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]RECOMMENDED MANUFACTURERS:

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Armalite Heckler & Koch Rock River Arms Bushmaster JP Enterprises[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Sig Sauer Colt Larue Tactical Smith & Wesson Daniel Defense [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Lewis Machine & Tool Stag Arms DPMS Noveske Wilson Combat[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]APPROVED OPTICAL SIGHTS:Aimpoint Bushnell Leupold Burris Eotech [/FONT]

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Unless it has been changed, there is no longer an approved model or manufacturer’s list. I’ve been gone for a year and half so I would suggest confirming this before spending money but there are so many manufacturers out there it became near impossible to try to maintain a current list. As long as the rifle is not an obvious piece of garbage or will not run it should be approved. I would recommend buying a rifle from a reputable manufacturer, if it won’t run the firearms training staff will not authorize it for carry. SBRs are allowed provided a copy of the tax stamp is submitted, pistols with braces are not authorized. Red dot sights are but not magnified optics. Triggers need to be at least 5lbs, single or two stage are allowed. A light on the rifle is a necessity in my opinion but I don’t recall if it’s required.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    i had a rookie come in the shop one day he'd gone to rural king, and bought the bushmaster that was on sale, that came with a primary arms red dot sight (the cheapest one they make) and was asking why the red dot went out everyother time he pulled the trigger...he told me who he was, the nephew of the chief of police (who had been on the swat team too!), to which I asked "did you ask him before you bought this rifle?"...thankfully he replied "no why?"...I said "ask him what you should buy!"

I asked him if he'd but the cheapest vest he could?...if he'd but the cheapest boots he could?...if he had to buy his own ammo, would you buy the cheapest ammo you could?...he replied no, to which I asked the why did you buy the cheapest rifle you could???

my choices would be (in this order)
    1 Daniel Defense
    2 Rock River Arms
    3 LMT
    4 Larue
    5 build it myself! ...that way I know the parts weren't sourced to the lowest bidder!, you're buying a rifle to defend yourself and others!, your not buying a range toy that if you have a problem with you can take home and fix when you want, or have time!

the saying is "buy once, cry once!", if your looking to buy her one, why not ask her how much she was planning on spending, if she replies 500 or so, tell you you'll chip in the rest so she can get a rifle she can trust her life with!

the read im getting off your question (and I might be wrong) is you might be shopping for her, that's why I said pool your money, and if you've got money left over, use it for the aimpoint or eotech!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Granddaughter is in the IMPD academy class 20 . She informed me that they can purchase an AR and qualify with it . Any idea what brand or brands they must purchase ? What optics or sights they require ? I'm always looking for an excuse to buy another weapon .

Trusted AR manufacturer. Sturdy, proven red dot. I've run the same EoTech for the last 15 years but most run Aimpoints. Have a light, even if it is just a TLR1. Stay away from gimmicks and gizmos. MUST have iron sights regardless of optics. What's your granddaughter's last name?

T755

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    That list is not a "authorized list" but a "recommended list" under G.O 1.8. Any quality Ar pattern will do NFA or rifle. No pistols at all currently. Stick with quality. It must pass a initial inspection by the armorer and he will have no problem whacking a problem gun continually choking on the line. Buy a quality optic like a aimpoint Pro, quality back up iron sights that cowitness, a quality tactical sling and avoid having "a buddy build you a Ar cheap" Only the Armorer can modify or alter a firearm used in a official capacity and she is more that welcome to discuss parts and options. Most major gunshops in Indpls, Like elmores or Beech Grove are familiar with what works and the Armory's expectations. If she has questions its free to call the Armory and expensive if she guesses and wings it.

SNAFU-M1A

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    Morgan Co
    If she’s in the academy now then I would look at getting her a Glock 26 or Glock 43 as a backup/off duty instead. She can qualify with it and carry it as soon as she hits the street but an AR-15 it will probably be 2021-2022 before she can qualify/carry it. If she’s in the class going now she won’t finish until June & then she has 5 months of field training & then a year of probation. They usually only do a couple of rifle classes a year due to time restraints & she has to apply along with everyone else that wants to carry one. The good news is they are doing small refresher classes for military & LEO who have already been rifle trained rather than making them go through the full 40hr class so she will have a better chance of getting in.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Cost does not always correlate to reliability/durability, and there is certainly a point of diminishing returns. There's no reason to spend a gazillion dollars on an AR. Remember, she'll be carrying a $398 pistol as her primary issued weapon.

I'd go with a Smith & Wesson M&P15 variant with a good optic, a Radian Raptor charging handle and a good high-lumen light on the handguard like a Streamlight TLR. Better to have a good backup pistol AND a good AR than to spend too much on just the rifle.

A Glock 26 makes sense as an on-duty backup gun for mag compatibility with the duty weapon, but I think the Sig P365 is a better concealed carry option overall, being less bulky and more ergonomic.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Im not saying don’t buy her a rifle, but it’ll be a good long time before she has a chance to get to go to rifle school. We have folks with 5 years on who don’t have seniority to get to the school right now. Last year we only trained about 40 new rifle officers.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Im not saying don’t buy her a rifle, but it’ll be a good long time before she has a chance to get to go to rifle school. We have folks with 5 years on who don’t have seniority to get to the school right now. Last year we only trained about 40 new rifle officers.

Prices are probably about as good as it's gonna get right now, so there's that. :)

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Word is the recruits are going to qualify in the academy. Or is that just a rumor?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

I thought all the recruits who wanted to were going to be able to qualify while in the Academy this go round. Is that just familiarization, then?

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I thought all the recruits who wanted to were going to be able to qualify while in the Academy this go round. Is that just familiarization, then?

I’m going to guess that it’s just familiarization. Rifle school is a solid week so I don’t think they have time to do that with recruits.

Top Bottom