• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chase45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2019
    Evansville
    The coolest sub gun that not everyone has heard about. Not only does it 'look' cool but supposedly they perform admirably.

Beyond that the gun also has a deep history. Designed and made after WW1 and a bit before and during WW2. Germany after WW1 was hit with the Treaty of Versailles which made it illegal for Germany to make certain arms, sub machineguns being one of them. However this did not stop Germany. German arms company Rheinmetall acquired a Swiss company called Solothurn and had them design the S1-100; which essentially was a much more refined MP18.

However Solothurn was unable to produce them in the capacity that Germany wanted. So Germany again circumventing the Treaty of Versailles acquired Steyr in Austria who had the capabilities needed to produce the S1-100. These were sold to a few different countries for a short period of time.

After the war kicked off Germany annexed Austria and took over the manufacturing capabilities of Steyr. To which they redesignated the S1-100 the MP34. Soon after the MP34 was essentially discontinued in favor of the cheaper and easier to produce MP40.

There however was one last batch of these guns made in 1942. They went to Portugal.

This gun was then used by the Portuguese military forces for the next few decades in different roles.

I happened to luck into a Portuguese MP34 kit a few years back. However it has been heavily demilled. Much of the receiver is gone. Below the receiver was also a trigger box which held the firing components. This was discarded along with most of the receiver. The next thing they did was bore out the trunion threads for the barrel to attach to the front stub.

This thread is about its reconstruction, legally of course.

rsukl0Kh.jpg

okNgfqSh.jpg

txbSjqZh.jpg

And if there was ever a gun project meant to be it is this one for me. So for the semi auto modification I believe the best way to go about this will be to split the bolt. Since the rear end of the bolt has a rat tail that proceedes into the stock, I plan to use the rear of the bolt as a striker. Put a spring inbetween the now two seperate bolt pieces which will remidy the close bolt portion of the modification. So I found and acquired another MP34 bolt just in case I mess up during this portion of the semi modification.

What are the chances that a bolt kicked around the world, ordered off a random website and not produced in more than 80 years matches the last 3 out of a 4 digit serial of my original kit.:):

06EZNrbh.jpg

This gun still has a ways to go but I have made enough headway that I feel confident in its ability to be rebuilt. I have been making a receiver out of a pipe from Lowes Home Improvement. So Im going to give it a bit more hand filling and then its off to the engraver for the NFA markings, as this will be a SBR.

4P9kPIsh.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy
    [SUB][/SUB]

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Think I saw you over on WeaponsGuild with this kit. BTW, chances of the matching bolt are 1:1000 so good job there. Wish you were closer so we could work together on the build,.....my kit is ready to go and the form1 is in hand. These are beautiful guns but I'll tell you something,......I've shot the full auto version many times and personally I'll be just as happy to have a semi. The SMG is so smooth that it's kinda boring to shoot.

Top Bottom