• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    With all the talk about Awareness I find it interesting that most shooters don't know the person in the next bay. Introversion and keeping your head down in today's world is taught or practiced by many. My observations are the same rather it is a commercial range or private club. To be better aware of a person takes interaction, everything else is casual observation or being heedless. Before he died Paul Harvey said something like with social media, texting, emails, facetime and skype, we have never had so many ways to communicate but yet say nothing to each others soul.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Sad but true. I'm always looking around and at least say howdy to the people who pass me. Sure they may think I'm strange but that's just me.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’m not at the range to make buddies. We have a clubhouse for that. My range time is often limited and I’d rather not waste it talking.

Conversations are fine while the range is cold, but it when it goes hot leave me be. I’m there for a reason.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I’m not at the range to make buddies. We have a clubhouse for that. My range time is often limited and I’d rather not waste it talking.

Conversations are fine while the range is cold, but it when it goes hot leave me be. I’m there for a reason.

Agreed. And also, if I waited to get a pistol bay by myself, don't expect that I waited just so I could share the bay with someone else.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    A range trip is not required to be a social event and it's really not much different than anything else I do. I monitor people regardless of where I'm at and I don't necessarily need to interact with them unless something they do requires it. I will be cordial and greet people, even offer to help if they look like they need it. However, my time is limited and if I'm at the range solo then I have something I will need to focus on and not be constantly bothered by people who just want to shoot the breeze all day long. If my family is with me, they get my attention more than strangers who just want to **** chat. This does not mean that I don't monitor or interact with people. I can tell if someone is being unsafe just by watching them. I don't need to know all of their life story.

OP, I think it's very naive to assume that just because people don't want to talk to you at the range that they are an introvert or something. I'm not saying introverts don't exist, but I'm saying some people just want to be left alone and not bothered. Not everyone is a social butterfly. Maybe for once, consider that other people don't share your same perspective and that's okay. If your online presence is anything like your in person presence, you might want to consider that your condescending and overbearing attitude has more to do with your lack of fulfilling interactions than the just the people you're trying to interact with. Maybe your just making people nervous, upset or annoyed because of the way you're coming off to them? Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A range trip is not required to be a social event and it's really not much different than anything else I do. I monitor people regardless of where I'm at and I don't necessarily need to interact with them unless something they do requires it. I will be cordial and greet people, even offer to help if they look like they need it. However, my time is limited and if I'm at the range solo then I have something I will need to focus on and not be constantly bothered by people who just want to shoot the breeze all day long. If my family is with me, they get my attention more than strangers who just want to **** chat. This does not mean that I don't monitor or interact with people. I can tell if someone is being unsafe just by watching them. I don't need to know all of their life story.

OP, I think it's very naive to assume that just because people don't want to talk to you at the range that they are an introvert or something. I'm not saying introverts don't exist, but I'm saying some people just want to be left alone and not bothered. Not everyone is a social butterfly. Maybe for once, consider that other people don't share your same perspective and that's okay. If your online presence is anything like your in person presence, you might want to consider that your condescending and overbearing attitude has more to do with your lack of fulfilling interactions than the just the people you're trying to interact with. Maybe your just making people nervous, upset or annoyed because of the way you're coming off to them? Just my 2 cents.

To be condescending takes at least two viewpoints. Being judge-mental is often confused with stating facts. We may not like our character but it is what it is.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    To be condescending takes at least two viewpoints. Being judge-mental is often confused with stating facts. We may not like our character but it is what it is.
    The problem is you think your viewpoint is always full of facts, but it's usually just full of your opinion. I've read enough of the threads you've been involved in to know I'm not alone in being tired of your tone around here. You may very well have some good insight on things, but your opinion isn't received well and now you have a thread about how people don't want to conversate with you at the range. Just take a minute and think about that. We all can be better people to each other, but sometimes we need reminded of that. All I'm saying is you're coming off as a jerk and it's not just me seeing that.

If a moderator feels this is over the line, then so be it, but I'm really trying to be cordial about this. Some things just need to be said.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I always said that cell phones just allowed people with nothing to say to say it all day long. (person on plane...plane lands cell phone on, "we just landed, I'll call you when I get to baggage claim", SMH)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    When I belly up the the line I do spend a few seconds trying to observe those around me, but it's more of a general safety assessment than anything. I want to see if there is anyone nearby doing something blatantly unsafe.

Also, since a lot of my range time is unfortunately indoors, I want to see what the neighbors are shooting. It seems I always wind up next to the jack wagon doing mag dumps with a .308 and I don't necessarily want to be surprised when that **** show starts.

But as others have said, I don't spend a lot of time **** chatting, primarily because I don't belong to a private range, so I'm paying by the hour.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I pay attention to who comes n goes.
    Avoid indoor ranges.
    Outdoors at private club Ill BS. Usually somebody has an issue and asks for help.
    IIRC last one guy had scope turned so turrets 90 degrees off......and he couldnt figure it out.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Im not a safety nazi either. Have seen guys safe get yelled at by somebody that thought they saw something that wasnt.

Also seen some pretty bad behavior by those that swore they were safe, and werent.

I just pack up and leave.

Cant fix stupid so just leave it on its own.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Where do you have to wait for a bay?

Mcf&g depending on when I go.

Apparently I need to spread some reputation around before I can rep you again. Someone else will get that taken care of I'm sure.

Top Bottom