• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesRich99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2020
    n/a
    Hey fellas, quick question. I'm very new to the whole gun world, and I recently bought a pistol off a friend, (FN-9C), and there was no Bill of Sale done when purchased. I have the original receipt, with the owners original information. Is there anything I need to do, or is this ok to be owned by me currently? Im under 21 so I cant buy through a vendor. Thanks for the time.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    There are only three requirements when doing a person-to-person sale in Indiana.

1- Buyer must be at least 18.
    2- Both must be Indiana residents. If either of you are not an Indiana resident, then the sale has to go through an FFL and they can't sell to an 18-20 year old.
    3- Seller must have no reason to think you are a prohibited person (no felonies, domestic violence, etc).

No paperwork is necessary, though some prefer to have it. That is between you and the seller. There is no "gun registration" in Indiana, so nothing to file with the state.

JamesRich99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2020
    n/a
    Ok, I'm 20, we both live in Indiana, and I have no priors. Do I need to do anything to get this gun under my name, or does it just stick to the original owner?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You are legal to own it. There is no "under your name". That implies that there is a registry somewhere and there isn't. The purchase is basically the same as buying a bicycle, though there are the restrictions listed above.

Note that you can't carry without an Indiana License to Carry Handgun (LTCH). You can keep it at home (practice safe storage) and take it unloaded to the range or for training.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, I'm 20, we both live in Indiana, and I have no priors. Do I need to do anything to get this gun under my name, or does it just stick to the original owner?

No registration in Indiana, so the gun is NOT in anyone's name.

That said, authorities can track through the mfg, to the distributor, then to the FFL that sold the gun new, who could pull his forms to track it to the original purchaser. But this is NOT registration... and if authorities do contact the original purchaser, he/she can just state, I sold it, I lost it in a boating accident, I gave it to... etc, whichever is the truth, and has no duty to keep records of the sale, etc

JamesRich99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2020
    n/a
    You are legal to own it. There is no "under your name". That implies that there is a registry somewhere and there isn't. The purchase is basically the same as buying a bicycle, though there are the restrictions listed above.

Note that you can't carry without an Indiana License to Carry Handgun (LTCH). You can keep it at home (practice safe storage) and take it unloaded to the range or for training.

Yes sir. I just have to go up to the police station to finalize the application. Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it alot.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You need to be licensed to carry. That is the only legality to be concerned with. You should get that going immediately.

Otherwise, responsible gun owners seek firearms training. We certainly hope that you would peruse the Tactics And Training sub-forum and enroll in a class or few.

:ingo:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    [h=2]Indiana Personal Firearm Purchase[/h]

What the devil is this? Do you have a trust or corporation? What is going on?

What do you mean by "Indiana Personal Firearm Purchase"???

Hey fellas, quick question. I'm very new to the whole gun world, and I recently bought a pistol off a friend, (FN-9C), and there was no Bill of Sale done when purchased. I have the original receipt, with the owners original information. Is there anything I need to do, or is this ok to be owned by me currently?

Original receipt? Who cares? Is this relevant to valuation for your trust or corporation? Who exactly is buying?

Is there anything I need to do, or is this ok to be owned by me currently? Im under 21 so I cant buy through a vendor.

Can't buy from a vendor? If you cannot buy from a seller, then what is really going on here?

There are age limitations as to FFLs but any seller is a vendor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Ok, I re-read everything for a third time, see if this helps.

If you are 18, 19 or 20 you can buy a handgun from a non-licensee (licensee=FFL) IF:

►the buyer is not a prohibited person under state and federal law--felony, DV conviction, renounced citizenship, habitual drunkard, inter alia (long list, I can go into if you want)

►the handgun involved is NOT Title II

►the handgun involved is NOT stolen or possessing an altered, destroyed serial number

►the seller is not buying to further a crime and the buyer knows this

►There is no paperwork requirement, there is no record keeping requirement

Sorry about the confusion but I found your language . . . imprecise (dude, vendor means any seller or a supplier of a manufacturer, you mean FFL).

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

If you are 18, 19 or 20 you can buy a handgun from a non-licensee (licensee=FFL) IF:

►the buyer is not a prohibited person under state and federal law--felony, DV conviction, renounced citizenship, habitual drunkard, inter alia (long list, I can go into if you want)

►the handgun involved is NOT stolen or possessing an altered, destroyed serial number

Sorry about the confusion but I found your language . . . imprecise (dude, vendor means any seller or a supplier of a manufacturer, you mean FFL).

You forgot the Welcome to INGO and the gun world...

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    What the devil is this? Do you have a trust or corporation? What is going on?

What do you mean by "Indiana Personal Firearm Purchase"???

Original receipt? Who cares? Is this relevant to valuation for your trust or corporation? Who exactly is buying?

Can't buy from a vendor? If you cannot buy from a seller, then what is really going on here?

There are age limitations as to FFLs but any seller is a vendor.

^ this is what happens when a lawyer answers a question.
    Heaven help us if someone asks about the weather

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ^ this is what happens when a lawyer answers a question.
    Heaven help us if someone asks about the weather

I'm going to need a retainer of $5,000 and I will bill against that at $250/hr, INGO family rate.

Then I will answer the questions that have already been answered.

Top Bottom