• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'll probably take some flack for this but I think the new(ish) stuff like the Honey Badger and the ARX have potential for sub 9mm power level calibers. Hunters seem to have proven the design works on game. The gel tests seem decent too.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    that article is 4 years old. I wonder if there are any new offerings since then.

Potentially. https://www.shootingillustrated.com...-for-2020-federal-hydra-shok-deep-in-380-acp/

I don't like how they insinuate that it passes FBI protocols at a casual glance, but if you read further it shows it actually only passes for bare gel and heavy clothing.

I am unaware of any professional independent testing done at this point or how it does on bone strikes. I would *guess* that it still will break bone like .380 ball at least, but that is just a guess. As such, I'm sticking with "potentially" for now.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    380 while not bad for what it is like many pocket type autos. Reaching a 12-18" (with the 1 1/2 X expansion) like the FBI suggests is sort of an unreal expectation over a more powerful, longer barreled duty size gun. That said it seems Hornady Critical duty gets about as close as anything. But to each their own

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    My edc is a .380 S&W Body Guard. The .380 Federal Hydra-Shok Deep sounds very interesting. I will have to utalize some Google-fu and see what I can find on it. Currently using .380 Gloden Sabre. My wife also uses her 380 for her carry gun and has hers loaded with the same Golden Sabre.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    I've been using Browning BPT 95 grain FMJ flat point. They are suppose to run at 1000 fps/211 ft. pounds muzzle energy. Have functioned perfectly for me so far. A little more expensive but worth it since I carry it in my 380's. I have found them at Cabela's for around 16.99 a box when they have them.....otherwise getting them online about the same price.

CPblaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    I don't want to stock another caliber, so I avoid .380 guns for that reason alone. 9mm pistols have gotten so small that I don't see a need to give up more stopping power. Love .45 too, but I'll just stick to 9mm for carry needs.

Top Bottom