Palmetto State Armory Derangement: Real or Fake News?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    PSADS... Real or Fake News? I see a lot of love (and hate) for Palmetto State Armory here and on other gun boards. I have started this thread for the INGO crowd to share the good, bad and the ugly.

Anyone who recognizes my username and recalls my posts realizes I support what PSA is doing. I’ve had some quality issues with their stuff in the past but they’ve always been quick to make good on any complaints I’ve had and I certainly do appreciate their mission of putting reasonably priced firearms in the hands of as many Americans as possible.

On the other hand, if you want to bash PSA, fire away. Just the facts, not hearsay or generalizations please.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I am happy that PSA exists. I also have no interest in buying their products.

(I have made purchases from them, and will likely do so again in the future, but I have no interest in their house brand ARs.)

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I want to see PSA stick around for a long time to come. I've bought some uppers from them (premium series, which didn't have CHF barrel but is CL and CHF series which are FN stamped). I've bought several LPKs and C158 BCGs. No regrets and no problems. They've shot very well and are serviceable. The LPKs fit well and again no issues. Will buy again if/when the time arises and the price is competitive

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN
    I am also happy they exist. Am I a superfan? No. I think PSA has done a good job in helping lower the admission price of getting into the AR platform.

I didn't feel like I needed to pay ransom money for a solid neutronium and unobtainum rifle made by the progenitors. I just wanted to see if I would even like the system.
    Their kit offerings also suited my needs for wanting to build to have that experience as well. I'm not going to be putting 5,000 rounds through any of the PSA builds I've done on a mission to clear a xenomorph infestation at moonbase Alpha.

I also like their stated mission of making such rifles "common use", thus making them all the more difficult to regulate under previous SCOTUS rulings.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    My journey down the .224 Valkyrie road started with a complete PSA upper. It functioned just fine but didn't seem to like the Valkyrie's heavy/long bullets. Turned out the 1:7 twist barrel shot 55 gr reloads better than anything else. We've got plenty of rifles that shoot light varmint bullets so I have changed to a 6.5 twist Faxon. Due to the weather and hip replacement surgery, I have not made it to the range with the new barrel. This is my first experience with PSA. The jury is out.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I have one of their mid-length 16 inch MP CL uppers that had a canted front sight base that was easily corrected. Bought it very lightly used for $200 complete. In fairness I could get the sights regulated but the rear was all the way to the right and it bothered my OCD. Bolt was pretty stiff due to rough park. It was also easy to fix. I'd have to check and see if I have any of their lowers.

There is a place in Nevada that rents all kinds of MGs called Henderson Defense. The owner posts on AR15.com. Very interesting comments about just about everything tactical. No links as I'm not a member there. He has no problem buying PSA.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I have no issues with PSA, however I will not buy any of their new releases until they are proven. They have had a history of letting their customers be beta testers, only for them to release gen 2, gen 3 and so on.

Their premium AR parts are generally very good with FN barrels and Toolcraft bolts. Their lower tier parts aren't terrible, but are probably on par with any other lower tier supplier. My only gripe is that they do not have a consistent product line up and sku's seem to come in stock only to go out of stock for months, while other hodgepodge configurations pop up daily only to follow the same pattern. In my opinion a solid consistent core lineup would help when making a recommendation to a newbie.

The PSA glock clone looks like a winner, but again as a new release I will wait for reviews.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    Bear in mind I am a novice concerning AR's and based my component purchases on info I found at AR15.com and M4carbine.com and similar (excellent) AR websites. Both rifles remain 100% stock except for adding a rear folding sight, a Tritium front post and SIG ROMEO 5 red dots.

I have purchased two identical 16" AR's from PSA and are COMPLETELY satisfied with both. Have put at least 2K rounds through each with absolutely ZERO problems or issues. I will add 95% of the ammo has been brass cased 55grn FMG Wolf Gold and the rest was 99% similar quality from domestic manufacturers. Fired about less than 100 rounds each steel cased ammo. I would without hesitation recommend them and are planning on buying two of their house AR-9's.

I did research their components and picked what I felt were the best value for the money at that time. I will add as widely recommended I run my AR's wet and as a minimal reliability test did fire the first 500 rounds from each without a cleaning or maintenance of any sort except added lube every 100 or so rounds. I didn't do any extreme high rates of fire but did empty more than a few 30 round mags as quickly as I could acquire a clay bird at 50-100 yards. I can not submit an honest evaluation of either rifles accuracy as I've only used Iron sights or red dot sights but using red dot sights I can stay under 2" at 100 yards and have to try to miss 5" steels plates at 200 yards the max distance at my gun club.

Neither of them came with rear factory Iron sight so I bought a 100% all steel USGI Matech MBIS folding rear sight made by Knights Armaments for both and are again completely satisfied with it.

CallSign Snafu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Apr 3, 2015
    Indy
    I think it is really interesting that their AK's are better than their AR's. They are slated to offer a 6.5 Grendel AK next year so far, which I think is pretty exciting.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    PSA- i have bought from them in the past, have had no issues what so ever, i even have 1 ar 18" that will shoot under 1/2" at 100 yards all day long. will continue to shop there for sales ect!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I used PSA a lot when I was just getting int ARs and wanted to customize them to my preferences. I still have many of their builds still in my collection. For many gun enthusiasts who will never compete or go to battle with an AR, I think their offerings and prices are fantastic. I have only had one issue with them ever (sent me the wrong gun) and they were very quick to remedy thew problem.

I am really happy to see them being innovative now and bringing some neat guns to market (PSA MP5, JAKL, DAGGER, AK-V). I will continue to support them.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    I started my 6.5CM journey with a PSA upper kit last summer. Decent reviews, pricing was great. No problem getting 1/2 dollar groups at 200yds. I believe they fill a space. If they didn't their sales wouldn't be what they are. Its going to be interesting to see how the Dagger shakes out. Specifically if they have worked out the kinks and brought a decent/reliable product to market.

Just do your homework. I miss the 10 packs though.;)

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    I don’t own of their complete firearms. But have bought parts, like someone else said, the parts they make are good for cheaper builds.
    I feel I buy most of their ‘package’ deals like 30 pmags and a Vortex red dot, or 1000rds and mags.
    BUT*** My biggest greef is the shipping. I could get a Greyhound bus and travel to SC and get it faster than shipping label is printed off on their end, And don’t think about calling costumer service. I sat on hold for 55mins looking for tracking info.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don’t own of their complete firearms. But have bought parts, like someone else said, the parts they make are good for cheaper builds.
    I feel I buy most of their ‘package’ deals like 30 pmags and a Vortex red dot, or 1000rds and mags.
    BUT*** My biggest greef is the shipping. I could get a Greyhound bus and travel to SC and get it faster than shipping label is printed off on their end, And don’t think about calling costumer service. I sat on hold for 55mins looking for tracking info.

I think their shipping times have gotten better, although it's been probably a couple of years since I ordered from them. I'd heard horror stories though, especially back during the Obama Panic Part II. When I finally got into the AR game, I didn't have any real issues. I've had better, and I've had worse. I've always been happy with their products though, but admittedly, I'm no "operator". Absolutely love my PA-10, which was my first build. I think it's a Gen 2, but couldn't swear to it.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have absolutely no interest in their ARs, but their AKs are a different matter. I want one of the 9mm AK pistols. That 9mm pistol that takes the Scorpion mags they had a prototype of at SHOT looks awesome also. Hopefully it doesn't take forever for them to bring it to market.

As a whole I think they are doing good things, but I won't buy one of their ARs.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    They sell a quality product at an affordable price. Their budget AR line is actually really good. Rob over at AK Operator's Union did a 5,000 round endurance test on a PSA Freedom rifle, and it held up. Some other AR brands didn't do so well. Keep in mind PSA doesn't actually make anything. Aero Precision was making their receivers. I'm not sure if they still are.

That being said, their customer service is outstandingly poor. I've gotten into it with several of their reps, and I swore off the company for a long time. They still refuse to ship "high capacity" magazines to South Bend, because they don't understand Indiana law, and they refused to listen when I cited the actual statute from in.gov that says local governments cannot enact their own gun laws.

I keep a BCM for home defense/boog type situations, and I shoot pretty frequently, but if you can only afford a $350 AR, get a PSA. Just got my dad one for Christmas.

PSA's mission is definitely one I stand behind. Arm every American with an AR, and now you can add AK to that, too.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Love PSA. Anything new in the future will be from them.

I've used parts, barrels, and recent kits. No real issues to speak of. All guns ate steel or whatever I stuck in it without much lube and no cleaning until 5-700 rounds.

I'm happy to see a company bringing it to market like they are.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I have bougie guns and poverty level guns and I love them all. One of those poverty guns is a franken-rifle consisting of Spikes lower, S&W LPK, and PSA complete upper. I did change the BCG to a Nickle Boron also from PSA, but subs, supers, suppressored or not, she runs good

Top Bottom