• ...and so much more!
  • Barbrgrl2327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2020
    Avon
    Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a somewhat delicate issue, My fiancé & I live in the Avon area & our next door neighbor likes to shoot on his own property which I could care less about(he takes all the precautionary measures possible). The problem is my fiancé suffers from PTSD. He served 20+ yrs in the USMC and I really don’t feel like I am asking too much for our neighbor to just give us a quick call and let us know he’s going to be shooting off a few, especially when he does it after dark, and it’s not the shooting that causes the problem it’s that it comes out of nowhere and my fiancé has a tendency to act first - ask questions later which on rare occasions has put me in a dangerous situation(and you can imagine what that does to him:().I really don’t want to have to move, but I can’t think of anything else to do. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Barbrgrl2327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2020
    Avon
    Thank you for replying. Yes, I have only spoken to the man once and he made it quite clear that he did not care, then told me if I bothered him again he would call the police. That in itself was not very neighborly.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Sounds like you may have to go the next step and call your local law enforcement even though you'd like to keep it friendly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    ell, he has put you in the position to take the next step. Is it even legal to shoot after dark. Check with the local sheriff and see what he says. If the guy is that much of an ass then yes, respond in kind.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg
    I'm sorry your fiance is struggling with PTSD. It's a terrible disease, but there is hope and help out there.

If this is one of your fiances triggers, I would suggest him discussing this with a licensed clinician. Especially if he is acting out with these triggers. While I understand that the neighbor could be a little more courteous, he is not breaking any laws, and technically doesn't owe you a phone call to do something legal on his property.

Right, wrong or indifferent.

As someone who also struggles daily with PTSD, I would strongly encourage you to have your fiance seek professional guidance. Calling the police really won't do anything but tie up their time.

Best of luck to you both.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Crappy neighbors are sometimes a fact of life, help with his PTSD is the best course for his and your future happiness.

If your fiance is not receiving help from VA, he is entitled to immediate assistance. VA is very responsive to these type of issues. Here is a phone number that will assist him ASAP.

Let your Fiance know that the best course is to seek a solution from VA. I really hope that he will be OK soon.

National Veterans Crisis Line
    800-273-8255

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Agree on all posts. You have tried to be neighborly. You have asked nicely (I presume) and a quick heads up is not hard. it takes 30 seconds to send a text or make a call. Hell, Im sure you guys would be happy with "I'm shooting now, bye." *click*

What gets me is the rude attitude. You didnt ask him not to shoot, just to warn you. Thats not excessive. Thats like standing around the range talking while nobody is shooting, and then a jackwagon just opens fire without warning anyone to put on their hearing protection.

And DEFINITELY make sure he's talking to the VA and getting help too. Its not a substitute for neighbor's warnings, but should help in the long run in his life overall.

And you can always try dropping off a plate of cookies with a note apologizing for disturbing him, and reiterating you have no problem with whenever he shoots and dont want to be able to say no, you just want a warning. And if that doesnt help, a second plate of chocolate chunk cookies but use Ex Lax instead of chocolate. LOL (OK, thats probably not a good idea, but sounds funny)

Seriously though, after all that, maybe a visit from an officer who is well trained on conflict intervention might be able to discuss it with him and actually get through to the man.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree on all posts. You have tried to be neighborly. You have asked nicely (I presume) and a quick heads up is not hard. it takes 30 seconds to send a text or make a call. Hell, Im sure you guys would be happy with "I'm shooting now, bye." *click*

What gets me is the rude attitude. You didnt ask him not to shoot, just to warn you. Thats not excessive. Thats like standing around the range talking while nobody is shooting, and then a jackwagon just opens fire without warning anyone to put on their hearing protection.

And DEFINITELY make sure he's talking to the VA and getting help too. Its not a substitute for neighbor's warnings, but should help in the long run in his life overall.

And you can always try dropping off a plate of cookies with a note apologizing for disturbing him, and reiterating you have no problem with whenever he shoots and dont want to be able to say no, you just want a warning. And if that doesnt help, a second plate of chocolate chunk cookies but use Ex Lax instead of chocolate. LOL (OK, thats probably not a good idea, but sounds funny)

Seriously though, after all that, maybe a visit from an officer who is well trained on conflict intervention might be able to discuss it with him and actually get through to the man.

Great approach my friend.

And in the end if all of that fails an INGO open carry cookout might just sway the neighbor to your side.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Me too! Any excuse to socialize with good peeps and consume mass quantities of meat, and I'm there.

And for context, Barb, an "open carry cookout" is an event often used to annoy an anti gun neighbor. (or in this case, show support) Basically everyone shows up to for some good food, drink, and socialization while EVERYONE is blatantly carrying a firearm openly to send a message to a neighbor. Sometimes its to signal to a hostile party "You really dont want to mess with this neighbor. They have MANY friends and they are all VERY well armed." (They dont realize we are harmless, but we wont tell them that. We'll let them worry and assume. ;) )

I dont recall, havent we actually had one or two of these, or have they never made it past the idea stage?

Wait a minute. Barb, is your neighbor a short guy named Kelly? I sense a connection here. (J/K if it were Kelly, he would have been a gentleman to you and most DEFINITELY would have called, texted, sent smoke signals, etc whenever you needed him to)

And I forgot to say it earlier, but please tell him from me, and probably everyone here, "Thank you for your service. It is greatly appreciated." .

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Me too! Any excuse to socialize with good peeps and consume mass quantities of meat, and I'm there.

And for context, Barb, an "open carry cookout" is an event often used to annoy an anti gun neighbor. (or in this case, show support) Basically everyone shows up to for some good food, drink, and socialization while EVERYONE is blatantly carrying a firearm openly to send a message to a neighbor. Sometimes its to signal to a hostile party "You really dont want to mess with this neighbor. They have MANY friends and they are all VERY well armed." (They dont realize we are harmless, but we wont tell them that. We'll let them worry and assume. ;) )

I dont recall, havent we actually had one or two of these, or have they never made it past the idea stage?

Wait a minute. Barb, is your neighbor a short guy named Kelly? I sense a connection here. (J/K if it were Kelly, he would have been a gentleman to you and most DEFINITELY would have called, texted, sent smoke signals, etc whenever you needed him to)

And I forgot to say it earlier, but please tell him from me, and probably everyone here, "Thank you for your service. It is greatly appreciated." .

SHORT!!?? At least you didn't say old so I guess I should take this as a win. I'm in the town limits so target practice off the back porch is a no-go. I'd definitely work with my neighbors if I was "in the country" once again.

Avon's town limits look like a Gerrymandered nightmare. I'm south of US-36, north of 100S in town limits and there are homes north, south and west of this neighborhood NOT in the town limits.

OC-BBQ? It's a bit cold right now, but Spring is coming!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    SHORT!!?? At least you didn't say old so I guess I should take this as a win. I'm in the town limits so target practice off the back porch is a no-go. I'd definitely work with my neighbors if I was "in the country" once again.

Avon's town limits look like a Gerrymandered nightmare. I'm south of US-36, north of 100S in town limits and there are homes north, south and west of this neighborhood NOT in the town limits.

OC-BBQ? It's a bit cold right now, but Spring is coming!

Cold...….You big sissy.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Welcome to INGO ptsd is no fun, i hope your neighbor wakes up and actually supports your other half service!! But shooting after dark kinda wonder what he is shooting at, is it a one shot deal or rapid fire??

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Cold...….You big sissy.

You spelled "You big highly experienced, been in the cold enough for one lifetime including 3 years in the country named after frozen water, knows warm is better dude" wrong. :laugh:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone can help me out with a somewhat delicate issue, My fiancé & I live in the Avon area & our next door neighbor likes to shoot on his own property which I could care less about(he takes all the precautionary measures possible). The problem is my fiancé suffers from PTSD. He served 20+ yrs in the USMC and I really don’t feel like I am asking too much for our neighbor to just give us a quick call and let us know he’s going to be shooting off a few, especially when he does it after dark, and it’s not the shooting that causes the problem it’s that it comes out of nowhere and my fiancé has a tendency to act first - ask questions later which on rare occasions has put me in a dangerous situation(and you can imagine what that does to him:().I really don’t want to have to move, but I can’t think of anything else to do. Please help, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you explain it the way you did here to the neighbor? He may think you are anti gun and doesn't want anything to do with you. If you did explain I would think kindness would be to invite the hubby over to shoot with him.
    My oldest son who served 8 years as a 19 Delta "Cavalry Scout" still hits the ground if the sound is loud enough and unexpected. He enjoys shooting and it helps relax him because it takes his mind off all his troubles and he just concentrates on his shooting.
    I live in the country have some land. My neighbor works 2nd shift. So I usually wait until around noon on his work days. His days off if the weather is nice I'll be out early morning and start.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom