Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by femurphy77 View Post
    I know some people that can afford essentially any commercially available firearm available in the world. Their justification for carrying a "cheap" side arm is that if they are ever forced to use it then when it is confiscated as evidence and "misplaced" in the evidence room they aren't out much.
    I have heard this argument as well. My thinking is that if my gun is in an evidence locker, and I am alive, it did it's job. I can buy another one. And if it is in an evidence locker, I'm probably more worried about lawyers and proving self defense than I am getting my gun back.

But to each his own.

User Info Menu

Treat them all the same...

Use and abuse.
    Nobody lurks better than I...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I'm not familiar with a Ravine or a Bear, though I do know of a Les Baer.

Cheap? No way. I define "cheap" as poorly made, sub par components, cutting corners.

That is different than "inexpensive". While it is true one get's what they pay for, you can find quality for less expense. And secondly, "inexpensive" is different for people. $100 for something may be expensive for me while some Wall Street tycoon could add a couple zero's and still call it inexpensive. I own a $3500 bicycle but would never spend $500 for a watch.

Best is a totally objective term. That is why advertisers can say something is the "best". It can't be defined by any set of criteria.

I do have a motto; The best is just good enough for me. But in reality my best is someone else's mediocre. I used to try to own the top tier products in everything I have, but as I grow older and my bank account is not growing I have come to realize that I need to match the quality with how I intend to use it.

Short story long, for a carry firearm, I will have something that has proven itself to me to be dependable. If it is not, I won't carry it. And I can shoot it well enough.

But when friends ask me about what gun to buy, I usually say a Glock 19. I don't own any Glocks, but if that friend likes the feel of it and can learn to shoot it, then I don't see that as a bad decision.
    I really wanted to like Glocks because they do have such a great reputation, but they just don't feel right in my hand. I like the way my Shield feels (my EDC) and I liked my full sized M&P 45 when I had it (traded it or sold it for something I wanted more). The S&W ergonomics just worked better for me.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier45 View Post
    I have heard this argument as well. My thinking is that if my gun is in an evidence locker, and I am alive, it did it's job. I can buy another one. And if it is in an evidence locker, I'm probably more worried about lawyers and proving self defense than I am getting my gun back.

But to each his own.
    Bingo. You know what I carry.
    I want it to work. Every time.

I have wrestled with the argument put out as to evidence/loss etc. Hell I would need therapy and 1911 group but if I need it I am alive so winner.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DoggyDaddy View Post
    I really wanted to like Glocks because they do have such a great reputation, but they just don't feel right in my hand. I like the way my Shield feels (my EDC) and I liked my full sized M&P 45 when I had it (traded it or sold it for something I wanted more). The S&W ergonomics just worked better for me.
    Same here. I shoot/ carry a Shield or a 2.0 compact.
    Anything is possible

User Info Menu

Hard to beat an mp 2.0 or a glock....

Cost generally buys things you don't want to carry around like steel frames, super light triggers, niche holsters, fear of scratching so you walk around like a robot...

450 to 700 will cover a top choice carry gun.

Expert

User Info Menu

I think the word we are looking for is value. The problem is there is perceived value and real value, and even those are elusive.

In example, getting a relic worth $1500 for $1000 would be a bargain but not a value if said relic is to be used in a roll it was not intended.

An old fella once told me, "buy what you can afford, run it and if it is not reliable you might as well wrap a $50 bill around it and toss it in a ditch. Because if you carry it and it let's you down when you need it, it is of no value..."
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

Glock is perfect for me. Reliable and cheap. Can buy several and stash them around. Don't care if they get beat, stolen, lost, fall off the side of the boat or whatever life throws at them. I can pick another one up at any street corner in America. Don't have to be a gunsmith either should something break. Parts are common and cheap.

Something like a more expensive gun like a Bear was mentioned. Makes my skin crawl thinking of owning one. Too much invested to enjoy it. Tolerances too tight to be reliable. Need a Smith should it go down. Would get into fetal position and cry if it got confiscated, lost, or stolen.

I'll take inexpensive gear all day every day.
    I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on.

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper 79 View Post
    Glock is perfect for me. Reliable and cheap. Can buy several and stash them around. Don't care if they get beat, stolen, lost, fall off the side of the boat or whatever life throws at them. I can pick another one up at any street corner in America. Don't have to be a gunsmith either should something break. Parts are common and cheap.

Something like a more expensive gun like a Bear was mentioned. Makes my skin crawl thinking of owning one. Too much invested to enjoy it. Tolerances too tight to be reliable. Need a Smith should it go down. Would get into fetal position and cry if it got confiscated, lost, or stolen.

I'll take inexpensive gear all day every day.
    I would never buy a Baer/Wilson etc let alone carry one.
    But I do jump off head first sinking funds into dark holes that I do carry. But in this I am fully competent they will work if the need arises. And like most I pray it never does.

I can make no argument as to the Poly offerings mentioned. They serve a well defined purpose. And serve it well.
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

Depends on end game. If you are setting out to use the gun a lot (which is the only way to improve skillset) then moderate to premium dollars will go the distance and return your money in value of marathon distance evry time. If you have time to look around on the ground for missing parts, take three hands to work with jams and malfunctions, misfires, use cheap substandard equipment (holsters, belts, ear protection, and ammo) then there isn't much time or motivation left for you to become a better shooter. So if the end game is to buy the piece, pepper a poster at 3 yrds and then put it in your sock drawer forever, then cheap is the better bargain.

JOB 11:18

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast