• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    I was sitting around eating chips and reloading some mags with hollow points. It suddenly came to mind that his might not be good. Eating and ammo, lead content, poison, etc. Anyone ever hear of a discussion of this nature?

(I can't wait to hear all the defensive use jokes, including to 'giving someone lead poisoning'.)

But seriously, any thoughts about bullets and avoiding over contamination?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    While I am unaware or any definitive studies being done concerning lead ingestion via handling ammunition, I doubt that many would consider eating while loading magazines to be a "best practice."

Buzz Saw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2012
    Southeast IN
    I hand load approximately 10,000 rounds of ammunition a year with hard cast lead, a lot of which is shot at an indoor range, although I don't cast bullets myself. I think standard caution applies in this. I wash my hands well with cold water (keeps pores closed) after handling lead and usually use D-Lead soap just because. I requested my doctor do a lead test the last time she took blood and that came back normal. I am a mechanic by trade and also do a fair amount of soldering, but I never heard of increased lead levels from that. Maybe not a great idea to eat or smoke while handling lead but if your hollow points are jacketed I would be less worried. If it would put your mind at ease have your doctor do a lead test, it really isn't very expensive.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes. You are more likely to suffer effects from the grime on the shells during depriming, etc than the bullets themselves. I think its Lead Acetate that is used in powder and primer production.

I always use dawn dish soap or orange pumice cleaner to clean up afterward.

These are handy for after a trip to the range. I used to use baby wipes, then found out they really dont take off the lead residue like I expected them to. I bit the bullet and bought a box of these so I can toss packets in my range bag.

A little pricey, but unlike the tub of rolled wipes, I dont have to worry about them drying out and wasting half the container.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JLLPQW4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Cameramonkey, keep us informed on those wipes drying out or not. If they are alcohol based I wouldn't be surprised if they dry out over time. I have seen many eyewear wipes do exactly that and anti fog wipes as well.
    I am glad that you gave a link to them. I had seen the tub kind and it's too bulky for range trips.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It wasn’t a joke, but I’d you laughed or groaned, you’re welcome.

And anyone in the Indy area wants to buy some from me I’ll sell you a few so you dont have to buy a whole case. I’d rather sell off some and re buy sooner then have them go to waste.

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Ive taken to wearing gloves when I deprime and sort my brass. Usually im sorting roughly 2k rounds so the gloves keep my hands dirty free.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    40+ years of working with lead and hexavalent chromium, never had elevated levels in my blood or anybody else in the industry that I've known. Checked every year. I laughed when government wanted to do away with lead wheel weights out of fear of them coming off the car tires and contaminating land around the roads. The yellow traffic paint on those roads is full of lead chromate by direct mandate of the same government. It's not good for you but like a lot of things with chemicals it's exaggerated to make money for somebody.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The salts and oils from the chips are bad for your loading and the lead isn't good for you. Pick the reason you want and modify the behavior to be safe.

If the concern is brain damage, in my case it would be hard to evaluate new from pre-existing. The Mrs already thinks I'm nuts for having all these guns...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've reloaded with hard cast bullets for years. As mentioned above I wash my hands afterwards and I've not had any lead poisoning. I guess you could say I'm unleaded.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well seeing yawls responses, you may not believe what I'm about to say. I have a friend that I have known for probably 30yrs that does a bunch of competitive shooting. Lots of pistol and a good deal of cowboy action stuff. He reloads multiple calibers and I couldn't even guess how many rounds he shoots per year. A few years ago during an annual blood test follow up his Dr had some concerns regarding heavy metal levels being too high. It was determined that it was from lead exposure. He took about 2 months off from any shooting or reloading and the numbers came back down where they should be. His Dr also told him when he is done handling ammo/reloading supplies to first wash with cold water because hot water could open the pores and allow more absorption of contaminants. So that is what he has been doing and hasn't had any more issues that I am aware of

I never gave it much thought beyond using hand cleaner wipes before I leave the range.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    • High blood pressure
    • Joint and muscle pain
    • Difficulties with memory or concentration
    • Headache
    • Abdominal pain
    • Mood disorders