• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I do not have a lot of guns but i do have have a gun safe... rarely are guns stolen taken from gun safes...i do not remember of any student shooters getting a gun from a safe for school shootings... i live in Indianapolis with a very high murder rate... a city where many would like to take our gun from us... i am wondering how many of us have safe for our guns??? i was talking to a person the recently who owned approximately 20 guns and said he could not afford a gun safe... i said to him to sell a couple and buy a safe***he though i was crazy... WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR GUN RIGHTS!!!!!! how many of you know some one who has had their guns stolen that where not in a safe??? i wonder where these guns end up??? i was wondering how many of us would support having gun owner with multiple guns being required to have a safe??? AGAIN i am trying to protect our gun rights*** this would stop most in home accidental shooting among kids and keep gun out of their hands*** in doing this possible protect our gun rights!!!!! i am not trying to take away our gun rights... BUT IF WE THE GUN OWNERS DO NOT SHOW WE ARE TRYING TO HELP KEEP GUN OUT OF THE WRONG HANDS WE ARE GOING TO LOOSE OUR GUNS TO THE GUN GRABBERS !!! THEY WILL EVENTUALITY BE ELECTED!!!! we need to do something to head them off at the pass!!!!

Sorry for the screaming but i want to keep my guns

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It doesn't matter if you store your guns locked away and disassembled in an underground bunker that only opens for you and you alone. Gun grabbers still want to take them away from you.

I think everyone should lock them up if they choose to or have small kids in the home, but mandatory? Hell no. Safe storage requirements have already been ruled unconstitutional.

ETA: you must have a short memory or else you're pretty uninformed. The kid that brought a gun to Noblesville middle school a few years ago and shot his teacher and another student stole the gun from his parents safe. It's why State Sen Jim Merritt is pushing for BS safe storage requirements.

The Sandy Hook scum bag murdered his mother and took the rifle out of her safe on the way to killing a classroom full of kids.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think you are well intention-ed. I agree that locking up your guns is a good idea.

We need less laws though, not more. Educating naive firearms owners is a much better plan.

Not to be a wet blanket, but your early argument is incorrect. One of the few Indiana school shootings that has occurred was in Noblesville. The shooter got the gun from the family gun safe. Cops came to the shooters house after the school shooting to find the keys hanging out of the lock in the safe's door, as they always did.

Actually a fair amount of folks with safes make the mistake of advertising them to any and all, making themselves a target for theft. Kids, their friends, service contractors, guests, all know that a safe means valuables. The same with other folks who have no room for the safe, other than the garage. Garage door opens 2-3-4 times a day or even gets left open for periods. Everybody knows. Loose lips sink ships.

Last edited:

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    I also think that you are well intentioned but I strongly disagree. Should people store their firearms in a responsible way? Yes but not everyone has the same living situation so what would be responsible storage for one person may not be for another. I see no reason to ask the government to pass a law like this when all it would do is punish someone who is a victim of a theft and discourage reporting the theft due to knowing they would be charged if they were not storing their guns to the states standards.

Last edited:

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Most responsible gun owners do store their weapons in a safe manner...but not all have or can afford an expensive safe!
    It was only after I got married and had kids that I purchased my first safe...and now I have two having picked up a second safe used from a buddy who was in the process of moving.
    It has been deemed 'unconstitutional' to require individuals to have a safe in which to store their firearms...however, that doesn't negate the need for safe storage..especially regarding kids and access.
    As bwframe stated, 'Educating naive firearms owners is a much better plan.' but it still comes down to each individual being capable or willing to behave in a safe manner, and that includes firearms storage!
    We teach and practice safe gun handling and shooting skills to our kids and allow them to handle firearms within rules...and it fulfills their curiosity such that they don't mess around with them without permission.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Safes, and gun safes in particular, consolodate valuables. Skilled criminals know how to get into your safe, and unless you have a very expensive, very high grade safe, it's not as safe as you think it is. Plenty of guns get stolen from safes. Plenty of school shooters have stolen guns from parents' safes.

Your argument is invalid. Your reasoning is invalid. Forcing your will on other people is not a solution to any problem. Safe storage laws could potentially endager more lives than it could help. Would I have to secure my home defense weapon in a safe? Would I have time to get it out when I need it? By requiring people to buy a safe, many people will buy cheap safes, because we all can't afford a $2000+ safe, thus making everyone's guns easy picking.

Your idea, despite several people seeing it as noble, is reckless, irresponsible, and just as poorly thought out as you typed it.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Storage solutions, such as a gun safe, have their place. When our son was younger, we kept all our weapons, save the one I was carrying, in the safe. I don't have the best safe ever, but it will keep my valuables and weapons out of the hands of the quick "smash and grab" guys. More determined burglars, or a possible insider? Not so much.

When I visited the People's Republic of Massachusetts over the summer, I brought a Massachusetts-required storage container for my handgun (which, but for LEOSA, I wouldn't have been otherwise able to bring to the state. So much for what used to be part of the cradle of American liberty.) When the weapon was locked up, it was essentially useless for self-defense.

Let responsible people make responsible decisions. Existing criminal laws and civil liability exist to address individuals' unreasonable actions. We need to quit the "do something!" method of lawmaking.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I do not have a lot of guns but i do have have a gun safe... rarely are guns stolen taken from gun safes...i do not remember of any student shooters getting a gun from a safe for school shootings... i live in Indianapolis with a very high murder rate... a city where many would like to take our gun from us... i am wondering how many of us have safe for our guns??? i was talking to a person the recently who owned approximately 20 guns and said he could not afford a gun safe... i said to him to sell a couple and buy a safe***he though i was crazy... WE NEED TO PROTECT OUR GUN RIGHTS!!!!!! how many of you know some one who has had their guns stolen that where not in a safe??? i wonder where these guns end up??? i was wondering how many of us would support having gun owner with multiple guns being required to have a safe??? AGAIN i am trying to protect our gun rights*** this would stop most in home accidental shooting among kids and keep gun out of their hands*** in doing this possible protect our gun rights!!!!! i am not trying to take away our gun rights... BUT IF WE THE GUN OWNERS DO NOT SHOW WE ARE TRYING TO HELP KEEP GUN OUT OF THE WRONG HANDS WE ARE GOING TO LOOSE OUR GUNS TO THE GUN GRABBERS !!! THEY WILL EVENTUALITY BE ELECTED!!!! we need to do something to head them off at the pass!!!!

Sorry for the screaming but i want to keep my guns

Huh?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you value freedom and liberty then stop itching to get government to mandate the things YOU believe are good ideas and believe everyone else should like/do them too. Stop asking the government to ban the things you don’t like and think no one else should like/do them either. Any government powerful enough to do that for the things you agree with is powerful enough to do them to/for the things you dislike.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Sorry OP, but I grew up in a house where none of the guns (or ammo) were locked up. We had pick ups parked in the school parking lot, with rifle racks and rifles in them. There is a deeper problem here.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I view gun safes as something to save my firearms from fire that's about it, and maybe the common thief that does not have the tools to get into them.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I think he means the cops.
    You know how those ****ing donut eaten gun grabbing cops will do anything to disarm us.......... just to steal our wallets.

Pigs!
    fNN3al3.gif

JustinApex

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Indy North
    I agree with what's already been said and would like to add that I moved from a state where they passed a law forcing you to keep guns in a "safe". This actually made my firearms more likely to be stolen IMO.

I had been using multiple locked and well hidden storage areas. It was very unlikely that any burglar would be able to find one, let alone all of these areas without spending hours systematically tearing apart the entire house to the studs.

This method of storage however was not state approved. I would have to buy a state approved "safe" which would cost 1000's for my needs, place everything in one location, and make them one crowbar away from being stolen.

I think it's best to keep the government out of it except for educating/promoting responsible ownership.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

I think he means the cops.
    You know how those ****ing donut eaten gun grabbing cops will do anything to disarm us.......... just to steal our wallets.

Pigs!
    fNN3al3.gif

No pretty sure he means our pathetic excuse for a city county council. If they had their way we wouldnt eat meat on mondays, we would all be forced to ride the bus/redline/purple line/black line, whatever line it is and not own guns because they are good for nothing but shooting people.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    I think that many gun owners have enough tools in their home/garage that the majority of safes are not much deterrent. With some knowledge, time and tools the bad guys will get in.

@bwframe - thanks for the rabbit hole that video opened up. Entertaining youtube channel.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I think that many gun owners have enough tools in their home/garage that the majority of safes are not much deterrent. With some knowledge, time and tools the bad guys will get in.

@bwframe - thanks for the rabbit hole that video opened up. Entertaining youtube channel.

Don't you hate that?
    Just the videos in my YouTube "Watch Later" library alone will take me 20 years to watch let alone all the subscriptions. :n00b:

Top Bottom