No idea how to actually use a long range rifle scope.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Long read!!!!!!!

Im just gna be honest... I have been around and used firearms since I wa 9 years old. And I honestly don’t really understand how to properly use a rifle scope... There I said it. Laugh, make fun of me, call me names.... I don’t care.

I recently decided to get into long range shooting. Did my research, found what I liked in my price range and got a new rifle. On to the rifle scope, and realized I have no idea what I need to satisfy my level of long range shooting when it comes to rifle optics. I began to wonder how many other gun fanatics, such as myself, doesn’t really know the details of a rifle scope. Sure I know how to put crosshairs on a target and pull the trigger but that’s about the length of my knowledge.. so my question..... is There anyone out there with this knowledge that would like to answer a bunch of questions I have????? And I do have a handful of most likely basic questions. Before everyone starts saying just google it, I like to communicate with real people. It’s easier to learn from a person than a machine and also maybe there’s someone out there who actually enjoys teaching people. Thank you all and hope to learn some stuff.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    When I first got a rifle that really needed something beyond a red dot, I read a lot. Talked to several people here on INGO, and bought my scope from Alan at A&A optics.

I’m still no long range shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a few cool rifles, with scopes. Something that has really helped me, was getting a good app for my phone. Again, I’m not a long range shooter. The two or three times a year that I need to shoot a 6” plate at 4 or 5 hundred yards, the app is very helpful.

There are several apps out there, as we have had these app discussions before on INGO. I went with the Ballistic Advantage, and it’s very helpful in dialing in a scope. The app makes it look easy.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    When I first got a rifle that really needed something beyond a red dot, I read a lot. Talked to several people here on INGO, and bought my scope from Alan at A&A optics.

I’m still no long range shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but I have a few cool rifles, with scopes. Something that has really helped me, was getting a good app for my phone. Again, I’m not a long range shooter. The two or three times a year that I need to shoot a 6” plate at 4 or 5 hundred yards, the app is very helpful.

There are several apps out there, as we have had these app discussions before on INGO. I went with the Ballistic Advantage, and it’s very helpful in dialing in a scope. The app makes it look easy.

StrelokPro is another good one.

You might recall it way over adjusted my Creedmoor....yep...user error. Had the wrong load data entered.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "Long range" is kind of a subjective term.
    I've seen people say they want to shoot long range, like out to 200 yards. This is not considered long range in my book.
    I've also talked to people who think 600 yards is a turkey shoot.
    It might be helpful to give a little better idea of your definition of "long range".

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I am discovering that the age of the internet is changing the way I like to learn new things in the sphere of hobbies. When I'm in your position on any subject (starting the process) I like to start with immersion in online reading, video's... with FULL knowledge that I still don't know what I don't know and may be reading/watching bad advice. The main purpose of this is to at least get the lay of the land: -are their different camps or schools of thought on the subject, -you can start to patch together a time line of older information vs newer concepts, -who are the main players, experts. -pick up on basic vocabulary and concepts to research as "side bars".
    Then when you take an actual class, or talk to someone you get much more out of it because as they are explaining things you are not constantly getting hung up on as many basic terms and concepts.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    When saying you want to shoot "long range" you should give us an idea of what sized target you want to shoot at said "long range". :cool:

You can hit "man sized" targets out to ~500-700 yards using irons but hitting a golf ball at ~100-200 can be very difficult without a scope.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    This may give you some ideas:

[video=youtube;9EEDjn8fAiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEDjn8fAiA[/video]

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    This may give you some ideas:

[video=youtube;9EEDjn8fAiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EEDjn8fAiA[/video]
    Very helpful video that really demonstrates the technology that is available. The use of some type of ballistic computer, eliminates the math and guess work out of dialing the elevation into the scope. Like he said in the video, “it feels like you’re cheating”.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom