• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Curious to know what INGO thinks is a “big” gun collection. When the media says a guy has an arsenal with 5+ guns, what do people who know about guns think is a large collection???

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    If I think big firearm collection, I'm thinking over 100+ and that doesn't count wall hangers either

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    About 100 million Americans (30% of U.S. population) own about 400 million firearms. So the mean is about four firearms per owner.

I would suggest that double the mean is what the populace at-large would find to a large collection. So my answer is eight.

But you are asking on a site where all participants self-select on the basis of interest in firearms, so the mean here is likely to be quite a bit higher.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    When you can’t answer how many you have without looking at your log or spreadsheet. Wherever you keep your list. That is when you know you have a “big” collection.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Some poor fellow at a soiree stated he had TWO guns! And was excited about it. I said "Really?!? Me too!". He said. "What kind?". And I replied. "What do you want?". The wife said "Shuddup,. axxhole..".... She wasn't wrong.
    To sort of make it up I did a little oohing and ahhing over his trade in G22..

But yeah. I need a list to know for sure.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have been told that I am just an accumulator, not a collector, because I just buy one of everything instead of obtaining all of the variations of a particular model.

With that in mind:

2+ of one particular model = Collection
    5+ = Arsenal
    One of everything = Accumulation

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    If they ask how many guns, say 'weapons'. If they say weapons, say 'firearms'. If they say firearms, say 'tool'. If they say tool, say 'art' and so on.

So, I don't know what you all are talking about...

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    When my dad was still with us there was a a call for a flood in his area. So he asked me to get his guns to a safe dry place. Only had 2hrs before the dam was going to release more water so a few friends of his and I loaded my Jeep Cherokee from floor to ceiling and packed as many in the front seat as possible. Did that twice and took them to a safe dry place. The water was at my floor boards as I drove out the second time. His friends packed out what they could and all the ammo in 2 full size trucks. He packed the rest in the attic. As I drove I couldnt see anything except out the front windshield... Not a 1 was damaged . I took as many long guns as I could and my mom carried all the handguns in her Ford Explorer. She couldnt see out the back but could use her side mirrors . Before that I thought 10-20 was a large collection, needless to say he enlightened me. Before he past he sold 90% of them so not to burden my mother with them but he left me with a half dozen or so and gave his closest friends a few. Some day I would like to be lucky enough to have 25% of what he had. Far from it as we speak but I still have my aspirations.
    If you think a couple dozen is a large collection think again. My dad said compared to some of his friends he had a good start. Thank God they became my friends too.
    To answer your question I would say the media is full of ****, 5+ isnt a arsenal. When you need a ledger book a inch thick of serial numbers you have a good start.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    When my dad was still with us there was a a call for a flood in his area. So he asked me to get his guns to a safe dry place. Only had 2hrs before the dam was going to release more water so a few friends of his and I loaded my Jeep Cherokee from floor to ceiling and packed as many in the front seat as possible. Did that twice and took them to a safe dry place. The water was at my floor boards as I drove out the second time. His friends packed out what they could and all the ammo in 2 full size trucks. He packed the rest in the attic. As I drove I couldnt see anything except out the front windshield... Not a 1 was damaged . I took as many long guns as I could and my mom carried all the handguns in her Ford Explorer. She couldnt see out the back but could use her side mirrors . Before that I thought 10-20 was a large collection, needless to say he enlightened me. Before he past he sold 90% of them so not to burden my mother with them but he left me with a half dozen or so and gave his closest friends a few. Some day I would like to be lucky enough to have 25% of what he had. Far from it as we speak but I still have my aspirations.
    If you think a couple dozen is a large collection think again. My dad said compared to some of his friends he had a good start. Thank God they became my friends too.
    To answer your question I would say the media is full of ****, 5+ isnt a arsenal. When you need a ledger book a inch thick of serial numbers you have a good start.

So what you are saying is this guy only had a good start?

lots-o-guns.jpg

Picture from gun seizure in LA

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    Some poor fellow at a soiree stated he had TWO guns! And was excited about it. I said "Really?!? Me too!". He said. "What kind?". And I replied. "What do you want?"

I've used this one before too! :cool:

I have TWO, the one you are seeing me shoot now and the last one that you saw me shoot.

That's it, that's all that I have. :shady:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE

Okay, maybe the original question is wrong. Please allow me to re-phrase it.

How many ATF agents logging your weapons cache does it take to be convinced you have a large collection?

I'll open with at least 6, based upon the picture of agents with clip-boards.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Okay, maybe the original question is wrong. Please allow me to re-phrase it.

How many ATF agents logging your weapons cache does it take to be convinced you have a large collection?

I'll open with at least 6, based upon the picture of agents with clip-boards.

Lol I'll agree

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    80   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    My collection consists of all the variations of the Iberia's, Jemenez, Hi points, jennings, brycos, RG's, ravens and sterlings made.... but I'm still searching for the elusive side mounted sight model...
    LjCRBeF.jpg
    :rockwoot:

But The question depends on who you ask.. I would think a few hundred was a big collection, not out of the ordinary. some people would think 2 or 3 would be excessive.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    A collection would consist of weapons that had some historic or build quality that make them collectable. In the past I always said I was an accumulator not a collector. For the enemies of liberty any are too many, for the lovers of liberty no number is too much.

Top Bottom