What’s a lot of rounds (Based on "What’s a big gun collection?")

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    BLUF: How many round seems like a lot to you?

So let's take ACC's thread to the next step:
    I am asking because everytime the "MSM" posts about a shooting or the big haul from someone's home, they always mention the number of weapons and the number of rounds.
    I always have to laugh at this because I have nearly 9,000 factory rounds plus a few thousand reloads in my basement. (3,000 or so of those factory rounds are .22LR)

My issue is that the MSM never specifies whats what...they are just looking to create click-bait.

So my question again: How many round seems like a lot to you?
    (Looking for more than just: "Anything more than I have.")

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the media has no clue...
    I often go thru 300+ rounds in a match , and Wife shoots also.. we could easily go thru 600+ rounds in a single day at a match.. add to that a day or 2 for practice.. that could be 2000 + rounds a month downrange..
    So having 10,000 rounds on hand is just a start of a good supply..

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    infinity-sign-vector-icon-illustration-white-background-130659945.jpg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Depends on how active they are.

If they are in blue state and dont compete in ANY shooting sports, I'd say over 1,000 per caliber.
    If they are in a red state, over 5,000 per caliber.
    If they are in a Bubba state and compete, over 10,000 per caliber.

Hell I had a nancy boy from CA ask me on facebook "why would you bring more than one gun to the range?" He was dead serious. So serious he got embarrassed and deleted his question.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Depends on how active they are.
    Hell I had a nancy boy from CA ask me on facebook "why would you bring more than one gun to the range?" He was dead serious. So serious he got embarrassed and deleted his question.

WTH?
    I can't recall ever going to the range with just one. Ever.

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Currently sitting around 25k at the moment, 10k in 22lr and the rest roughly split evenly between 9mm and 556. Comfortable with the amount of 22lr but would like to double the others. Also severely lacking in 12ga. Only about 150 rounds of that and only 20 of those being 00 buck. The rest are birdshot. We try to stick to those calibers to help control the budget.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Currently sitting around 25k at the moment, 10k in 22lr and the rest roughly split evenly between 9mm and 556. Comfortable with the amount of 22lr but would like to double the others. Also severely lacking in 12ga. Only about 150 rounds of that and only 20 of those being 00 buck. The rest are birdshot. We try to stick to those calibers to help control the budget.

22LR doesnt count. its one step above pellet gun pellets. You can build up massive stockpiles with no effort and little cash, and the lethality is RELATIVELY low. (yes you can kill a human with it, but its much harder than any centerfire round, relatively speaking)

Ndavid45

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    10   2   0
    Apr 29, 2019
    Indianapolis
    22LR doesnt count. its one step above pellet gun pellets. You can build up massive stockpiles with no effort and little cash, and the lethality is RELATIVELY low. (yes you can kill a human with it, but its much harder than any centerfire round, relatively speaking)

While I agree that it's lethality is very low compared to the center fire rounds, it serves a very important role to our house as a teaching tool for the oldest, 5yr old, and will do the same for another kid in a few years. With the amount stored I'll be able to use it to teach with even if there's another round of panic buying.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

Question: What does the term 'one gun' mean...I don't understand???

Also, ammo quantity...for the record, I keep one bullet for each gun...learned from the best!

BgcLU5Q.jpg

Last edited:

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    When I am introducing the uninitiated to shooting, I often tell them to buy a case (1000) of whatever caliber they have chosen.

Most are aghast. Some protest that a case costs more than the gun they bought. I was even recently accused of being an "extremist" by someone who sought and then rejected my help.

I usually tell them that by the time they shoot that whole case they will be more confident in handling the firearm and more confident in their firearms functionality.

Like the collection size question, it is a moving target. Never enough?

If you believe that your ammo stash might become a heralded prize for a village-sized militia after your death and the collapse of society, you might have a lot of rounds.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    If you have so many rounds that when your house catches fire and the fire department refuses to approach because of the rounds cooking off and then your insurance company refuses to pay out on the loss...you might have had a lot of rounds.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Since I reload for all but 22lr I usually don't load much more than I shoot now days. Component wise I have thousands of rounds ready to be loaded at any given time.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Ones I do not shoot as often im around 5k like 357 magnum and 38's. 556 is about at 15k along with 45acp. 9mm on the other hand I dont bother keeping track of cases I just know im in good shape. :):

Top Bottom