• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm a planner.
    If I die an untimely death, I would want to know that my guns would not bring a dime on the dollar with someone in my family doing a quick sale.
    If I live for 20 yrs. I probably won't have that many left b/c I've learned to have only the essentials, since I'm not a collector.

I have no family that would enjoy any of them.
    My daughter, the lawyer, would probably just put them in a gun auction.
    I just would want to get the proper $$ from them for my wife's sake.

I have even thought that if I had a trusted friend arranged ahead of time that would simply come & get everything out of the safe, along with ammo sell it for my wife.
    I could have an agreed upon % he would be paid from the sale price and/or choice of certain gun (s).

I want to be like a retired teacher friend of mine that I stopped by nearly every day or two at his house.
    He got cancer and knew he had only months to live, and he sold property out West, 3 antique cars, MC, guns (I wasn't in to them then) & other items.
    I went by his house when he knew he didn't have much time left and he was painting his garage door so as the help the sale of the house when he was gone.
    He was gone in less than a month.
    He lived well & died well. I miss him.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My old neighbor sort of did the same thing. His wife told him he wasn't allowed to go until he got the garage cleaned out. He almost made it! LOL.
    Seriously, though. I think the same way. IF I live long enough, there won't be much left. If not, I hope my kids have enough sense to contact my cousins, who are all gun guys.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Have it put in your will if you have one. Since no family members are interested, leaving them to a good friend may be the best bet.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Have it put in your will if you have one. Since no family members are interested, leaving them to a good friend may be the best bet.
    And with the will, include a serialized spreadsheet of values for your wife so she knows what they are worth so she doesnt get nailed in the pennies on the dollar scam. Make sure she knows how the sale process works, and that selling to individuals will get her more. And of course figure out what stores are paying for used guns so she knows what the bottom dollar would be in a worst case. (If x wont give me what I know the store will buy it for, take it to the gun store)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    When you die your belongings are someone else’s problem and responsibility. Something someone else will have to maintain, store, care for, etc.

I dislike the term sell for “penny or dime on the dollar”. When you sell your problem to someone else, they’re the one who bares the risk and responsibility, you’re (they’re) selling a problem. When you sell something to someone who has to resell them then that return on investment has to be worth their time

I’ve known a lot of people and family who pass and their guns, musical equipment, cars, coins (anything they’ve collected) gets passed down to their family. Some cherish it too, most sell cause they don’t care about it. It was your passion and not theirs. Most of the people I’ve known the items go to auction cause it’s quick and most things they want gone get gone in 1 day. Collections take time to build, they also take time to sell for maximum value.

it’s one of those things where if you want something done the way you want it done, just do it yourself. It’s a hard realization that you’ll have to part with things that you cherished and you invested your time and money to accumulate; but when you’re gone it’s someone else’s time and energy to deal with your things. It’s something we’ll all face eventually

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have friends that I trust to do whats best for the spouse if she survives me. If she is gone then the daughter will most likely keep most of them. It will be hert decision to make as I will not give a :poop:...….I am dead remember.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Wife asked me to get things sold before I go, but that's a problem as I don't know when.:)

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    My daughter, the lawyer, would probably just put them in a gun auction.
    I just would want to get the proper $$ from them for my wife's sake.

I think that an auction is in fact the easiest way to get the proper $$ for the guns. The auctioneers have a vested interest in getting top dollar, so if you just make note of any pieces in your collection that have unique features they will be glad to know that. Christy's in Indianapolis or Mensendiek's in Jonesville are greedy auctioneers who are gun owners themselves.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There are so many variables to consider here that planning something like that out is pretty tough. Who can predict what the market would be like when you happen to pass? :dunno:

Seems like the thing to do is to get your wife up to speed on appraisers and decent gun auction houses so she's prepared to handle it when it happens. Or... Pare down your collection now, take that money and do something for both of you with it, and set the gun thing on cruise control until the end.

I suppose first things first would be for her to know where they all are, what they all are, and how to access them.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    61   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    Yep need to get your plan in action, have helped a lot of women who have lost there husband and they know nothing about what is there or value, getting offered 2100 for 17000 worth of firearms isn't kewl. I have all make, model serial# listed as to who gets what and also recent values. showed my son how to get to safes and where ammo is stored, also started sending items home with him too. Scared him though ,he thought something was wrong and i wasn't telling him, but as far as i know everything is ok. Now my grandson gets older and shows he is responsible i will send things home with him too.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you die your belongings are someone else’s problem and responsibility. Something someone else will have to maintain, store, care for, etc.

I dislike the term sell for “penny or dime on the dollar”. When you sell your problem to someone else, they’re the one who bares the risk and responsibility, you’re (they’re) selling a problem. When you sell something to someone who has to resell them then that return on investment has to be worth their time

I’ve known a lot of people and family who pass and their guns, musical equipment, cars, coins (anything they’ve collected) gets passed down to their family. Some cherish it too, most sell cause they don’t care about it. It was your passion and not theirs. Most of the people I’ve known the items go to auction cause it’s quick and most things they want gone get gone in 1 day. Collections take time to build, they also take time to sell for maximum value.

it’s one of those things where if you want something done the way you want it done, just do it yourself. It’s a hard realization that you’ll have to part with things that you cherished and you invested your time and money to accumulate; but when you’re gone it’s someone else’s time and energy to deal with your things. It’s something we’ll all face eventually

Respectfully, I think you missed OPs point. Indeed after death it is somebody else's problem. He wants to make sure that his wife doesnt get screwed by other family members that step in to sell his guns for her.

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    There are so many variables to consider here that planning something like that out is pretty tough. Who can predict what the market would be like when you happen to pass? :dunno:

Seems like the thing to do is to get your wife up to speed on appraisers and decent gun auction houses so she's prepared to handle it when it happens. Or... Pare down your collection now, take that money and do something for both of you with it, and set the gun thing on cruise control until the end.

I suppose first things first would be for her to know where they all are, what they all are, and how to access them.
    I don't know about all that. That is the proper thing to do but all that information might send her into cardiac arrest.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    My wife and I have talked about this very issue. If I were to suddenly go, there is an instruction sheet about what to do with some of my stuff. I have a few special guns that will pass to my kids and for the rest she is supposed to get ahold of Christys auction house in Indy and have them estate sell the rest. I figure that will be the easiest way to do it all at once and as mentioned earlier they are motivated to get the best price so they get a bigger cut.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Both of our kids are grown and own their own firearms, so it is easy for me. They already know who is getting what, and if I go before my wife does, then she will be keeping the Model 637 for herself, until she goes, then it goes to our oldest....they can just divide up the ammo and other odds and ends.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Great input! :thumbsup:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad, I had to laugh about your neighbor's wife saying he couldn't go till the garage got cleaned out! :laugh:

sharpetop, I did the Living Will & Trust thing, but I didn't have but a couple of guns then, of which have been sold & updated with others now.
    Having a trusted friend do it is probably the most likely.
    My best friend in the world could do it, but he knows nothing about selling; he just has a huge safe with his expensive hunting rifles with scopes that cost more than any gun I've got.

Cameramonkey, good advice about the serialized spreadsheet. You might gather from my posts here that I have a ledger with the date & $$ spent on all guns going back from the very first one 3 yrs. ago (Taurus .357, was my starting point: $275 if memory serves).
    What I don't have is the serial number written down. I'll do that.
    I have a gun shop that I would use for "bottom dollar," but I would rather get "market used value" (since a dealer will only give about half for the inexpensive pieces I have).
    By doing this, a friend could make a good enough % to make it be worth his while w/o being a burden.

M67, good points about the reality of not burdening others which is why I want to do the right thing.
    If I die unexpectedly, though, is why I need a plan for backup.
    If I have a warning of life's finality, then I will enjoy selling my toys to people I know here on INGO, if I am still living in IN when the time comes.

churchmouse, yes, I imagine the line is long of trusted friends that will make sure you are taken care of with honor & affection, and having a daughter who will appreciate your guns as well is a gift, whether she sells or keeps them.

Leadeye, yes, not knowing the "when" is what complicates the issue.
    If I'm not shooting anymore or very little, I might only have a CC and/or a house gun, & perhaps a range gun or two, but if I'm healthy enough to enjoy the range (like my 89 yr. old friend), then there could be a "few" more to deal with. :dunno:

maxwelhse, I am trimming the excess and have less guns now than I've had (despite my indulgence lately) with another round of fun with CC & range .22LRs.
    The wife is not going to do anything with guns even if it meant a total loss economically.
    It will be my responsibility to make sure there is a plan in place.
    She does know exactly where the guns are & the combo to the safe.

2in1evtime, it sounds like you have an abundance of guns to deal with.
    I have few by the standards of many here, but I want any money wasted, as you noted.

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Respectfully, I think you missed OPs point. Indeed after death it is somebody else's problem. He wants to make sure that his wife doesnt get screwed by other family members that step in to sell his guns for her.

I got his point I just probably ranted a little since it seems like this subject has came up a lot lately.

Basically the only way I know how to make sure someone isn’t “taken advantage of” is to do something myself. If I want someone done the way I want it done who better to do it

the market goes up and down, guns vary a lot. Throw in used optics, mounts, $1000 worth of mounts for silencers, NFA items.....

You can’t expect others to know what all your stuff is worth.

At the moment when I die a friend will more than likely get all my gun stuff. He’s on my trust, he can do with it what he wants. As mentioned earlier in the thread I won’t mind cause I won’t be around

If he wants to sell something, he can research it himself to judge current market value at that time

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

Then he should he a responsible adult and have an explicit will and trusts setup long before he dies. Any adult that owns anything worthwhile should have a will...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think it's a really good point to cut down the baggage. Pare down and pass along now, while you can dictate the yes or no's.

I have a trusted friend who will take care of all of the rest. He'll work on a commission, with a lot of flexibility.

You folks will likely see a lot of my "estate" in the INGO classifieds. :ingo:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is an issue that I have given very little consideration to at this point. This is just one of my hobbies and I have shared it with family and friends. I have no biological children, but two step kids I have always treated as I would my own. My daughter loves to shoot, son wants to shoot but has had struggled with mental health issues especially when he was a teenager. My wife doesn't give two hoots about my guns but she has a good idea for what has been invested in their purchase. Then again she was told what was spent but it likely went in one ear & out the other. If I leave this world in an untimely manner, she can get help from my dad, brother, daughter and figure out who might want what etc.
    I don't like the idea of leaving her the burden of going through all of my guns, hunting stuff, fishing stuff, racecar, race parts etc etc. But unfortunately it is part of life and I plan to live it to the end as much as I can. Death often brings out either the best in a family or the worst. All I can do is hope for the best

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    This is one of the reasons I'm a minimalist. I don't want to leave a bunch of stuff for the kids to sort out. They have their own lives and their own stuff.

I'm getting ready to go on a massive de-cluttering; clothes, tools, doodads, materials, everything down to the various nuts. bolts, nails I have had in cans for 100 years.

I live 10 minutes from a hardware store. I don't need to keep that stuff so my kids have to deal with it later.

If i'm not using it regularly or it's worth less than a $100, it will be gone come summer.

Dodd, either find a trusted friend to step in for you on the firearms or let a family member deal with them. Like what was said already, you will be dead.

Top Bottom