Indoor range ventilation good for effectively distancing people?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I know the range ventilation and air movers are designed to reduce lead powder in the air. I would think, though, the controlled layout and air flow in the range would make it a special circumstance. I would argue (armed with my assumptions and zero actual facts to show respect for internet tradition) that they should be exempt from the social distancing rules that are based on arbitrary #'s of people.

A gathering at a range is not random. They are in a line with controlled air movement pulling airborne infection away from the line of people.

What say ye?

I think we should march downtown to demonstrate and get a variance! I mean, 9 or less at a time, 6' apart from each other, no kids or elderly, and try not to carpool.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    [EDIT] IDNR has reversed their decision to close
    NOW what am I going to get worked up about? Can I stay worked up about this even though it's a non-issue?
    (am I doing this right?)

I'll make similar arguments for outdoor ranges (looking at YOU IDNR :tantrum:)
    I mean it's the OUTDOORS for f***s sake

A right delayed is a right denied!

(am I doing this right?)

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Seen good and bad. A new range opened some time ago on the south side of Indy a few years ago. First time I shot there I got smoke residue every time I blew my nose for two days. They shall remain unnamed since I understand they have seriously upgraded their ventilation system. Beech Grove was the best I ever experienced. You could feel a breeze on the back of your neck and watch the smoke blow down range. Wish they could've reopened. I don't notice air movement at Point Blank Greenwood. However, we shoot there fairly regularly and I've not had an issue. But, I'd much rather be outdoors.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    At Accuracy Unlimited in Seymour you have to weight down extra targets or they stand a good chance of being blown down range.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Applied Ballistics in Lafayette sent out an email notice yesterday stating that they were going to close 2 lanes in each bay, leaving an empty shooting lane between the active shooters.
    The said this will provide just more than the 6' "social distancing" (man I hate that term) the government is requesting.

I had the same thought Doc.
    I would have thought the positive airflow would be a tremendous help in preventing the spread of any virus germs, at least while in the shooting area.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I know the range ventilation and air movers are designed to reduce lead powder in the air. I would think, though, the controlled layout and air flow in the range would make it a special circumstance. I would argue (armed with my assumptions and zero actual facts to show respect for internet tradition) that they should be exempt from the social distancing rules that are based on arbitrary #'s of people.

A gathering at a range is not random. They are in a line with controlled air movement pulling airborne infection away from the line of people.

What say ye?

I think we should march downtown to demonstrate and get a variance! I mean, 9 or less at a time, 6' apart from each other, no kids or elderly, and try not to carpool.

Makes sense to me. Many medical facilities use "Negative Pressure" systems to control airflow for this very reason:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_room_pressure

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've never shot at an indoor range so bear with me.

1. Is the air pulled out then filtered and recirculated? If so, how good are the filters in regards to viruses? 2. Is air brought in from outside, heated/cooled, forced into the range while the "old" air is pulled out? 3. Is the air pulled into the range from a different part of the building? Is the air flow from firing line to backstop, random, or backstop to firing line?

As small as a virus is, I could see where 1 might cause a problem. Also I can easily see where 3 would actually increase the range at which it would be possible to pick up the bug.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County

What say ye?

Have you contacted Tim's? I would be curious as to what they have to say.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I don't think you would have any expectation of safety from the air handling device of the shooting range.

IIRC it will take negative .5 atmosphere plus protection such as a N95 mask...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I haven't been to Tim's for years, in large part because the ventilation scared me. I would come home from there after an hour and blow my nose and it would be worse than when I have to spend an afternoon sweeping out a grain bin. So, as you so well put it, armed with my assumptions, I don't trust it.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    I don't think you would have any expectation of safety from the air handling device of the shooting range.

IIRC it will take negative .5 atmosphere plus protection such as a N95 mask...
    This.
    In fact the increased turbulence could lead to more exposure to other's volatiles and airborne particulates.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    Most time I spent indoor ranges weren't that impressive. Newer ones have better guidelines for safety, but it's all about money invested. One range around here had a falling water type system, I think was pretty decent, till I wondered where the lead filled water actually went? Place closed, but never had lead in my nose, or handkerchief. Another was so smoky that I did not renew a club membership. Very ancient place.
    Gotta agree with post about outdoor IDNR ranges being closed. Sucks. I read one actually trying a washable covering and some cleaning stuff! OOhrah! Someone has the right idea!!! Why not IDNR? I think to keep guys home to Shelter in Place!
    Well, Good luck to all. Hope this goes by fast.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Place closed, but never had lead in my nose, or handkerchief.

Gotta agree with post about outdoor IDNR ranges being closed. Sucks. I read one actually trying a washable covering and some cleaning stuff! OOhrah! Someone has the right idea!!! Why not IDNR? I think to keep guys home to Shelter in Place!
    Well, Good luck to all. Hope this goes by fast.

I too was sad to see the range in Chesterton close. Was tough to dodge the "private" police rentals, but a gorgeous facility.

Also heard, that IDNR has reversed their decision to close.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I don't think airflow matters much in this case. From what I've heard the risk of airborne infection is generally very low. Most infections I think are from physical contact, or surface contamination. The virus can live on surfaces for 20 hours.

having said that: avoid physical contact and wash your hands and you'll be fine.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I don't think airflow matters much in this case. From what I've heard the risk of airborne infection is generally very low. Most infections I think are from physical contact, or surface contamination. The virus can live on surfaces for 20 hours.

having said that: avoid physical contact and wash your hands and you'll be fine.

Their study, which has been
    published in the New England Journal of Medicine, shows that the virus could survive in droplets for up to three hours after being coughed out into the air. Fine droplets between 1-5 micrometres in size – about 30 times smaller than the width of a human hair – can remain airborne for several hours in still air.

20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

Nope, 3 hours in the air is possible. Likely, no, but possible.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    I shot at IDNR FWA yesterday.
    They have laminated the benches & stools with plastic covered cardboard they used as target stands for awhile.
    nicely cut to fit.
    Staff on duty have paper towels & can dis-infectant that they use at start of the day. Just like pickup your brass, shooters are required to wipe down benches & stools.
    I had a safe & enjoyable 1 1/2 hr of shooting that you can read about further in thread on ranges.
    Thank you to IDNR & FWA Staff for great job & Reasonable view of this chinese virus issue!
    Will work very well if everyone stays aware & stays away if they are sick.
    Outdoors is the way to go.
    IDNR or Private if you can get a membership.
    Few private ranges outdoors type were open but cancelled new member mtgs & board meetings. So only hope @ private is to go as guest.
    Good shooting everyone.
    and No I'm not staying home until some politician says so........

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Probably the greatest threat of infection at a modern, well-ventilated indoor range is doing face-to-face transactions like buying ammo, exchanging the credit card back and forth, etc. One problem now, would seem to be the lack of ammo availability.

Top Bottom