• ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I ask Springfield this question.
    "Can your TRP 10mm 1911 handle sustained Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap full power 10mm ammunition? And if so if it breaks down because of said ammo will fixing the firearm be covered by your warranty?"

Response from Springfield Armory
    "I am not familiar with either of these ammunitions. But I can tell you if the pistol malfunctions because of the ammo it is not covered under warranty.
    Thanks, Drew"

DrewH@springfield-armory.com

So if you are using any kind of ammunition and it damages the TRP you will not get it repaired or replaced. I find this odd and unsettling. Besides the tech has never heard of the 3 brands of ammunition that actually produce a full 10mm load.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If they can show the damage was caused by the ammo, why would the gun maker cover the damage?

Because like colt use to have cracked frames or slides from 10mm ammunition. If it can't hold together when firing a caliber it was designed to fire it's their problem. Make a better pistol. Or stop making them. I'd call it poor material or workmanship.

I ask Rock Island the same question and they said their 10mm 1911's can handle above loads and will be covered by their warranty if something happens.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don't think you and SA are on the same page. If you are shooting factory 10mm that is within SAAMI specs then it isn't an ammo issue. If you are shooting Double Tap and it has a double powder charge, that is an ammo issue.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I don't think you and SA are on the same page. If you are shooting factory 10mm that is within SAAMI specs then it isn't an ammo issue. If you are shooting Double Tap and it has a double powder charge, that is an ammo issue.

Yep, I think the question and answer were not on the same page.

I would have worded the question like you indicated with SAAMI specs.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

If Double Tap produces ammo that has 2x the powder charge they would be in for a lawsuit if it hurt or killed someone. I doubt that will happen. Same goes for Underwood and Buffalo Bore.

I reworded it and sent it back to him waiting on response now.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I ask Springfield this question.
    "Can your TRP 10mm 1911 handle sustained Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap full power 10mm ammunition? And if so if it breaks down because of said ammo will fixing the firearm be covered by your warranty?"

Response from Springfield Armory
    "I am not familiar with either of these ammunitions. But I can tell you if the pistol malfunctions because of the ammo it is not covered under warranty.
    Thanks, Drew"

DrewH@springfield-armory.com

So if you are using any kind of ammunition and it damages the TRP you will not get it repaired or replaced. I find this odd and unsettling. Besides the tech has never heard of the 3 brands of ammunition that actually produce a full 10mm load.

A lot of the underwood loads aren't "full power" but rather they are pretty far over book.

The original norma spec (to my knowledge) was 170gr@ 1300fps or 200gr @1200fps from a 5" 1911. The underwood 200gr hardcast is 1250 advertised. And I'm pretty sure they test from a 4.6" Glock 20 for their 10mm

I've seen a thread of torndown Underwood. Seems to be about 0.4-0.6 gr overbook load of 800-x.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Got a reply.
    I sent this.

"So you are telling me your company won't repair or replace a firearm if shooting SAAMI spec factory loaded ammunition, and your firearm breaks such as a cracked slide or frame or any other parts that may fail?"

"Yes, according to our head armorer.

Thanks, Drew"

So there you have it. If you are shooting factory ammunition and the Springfield firearm gets a cracked slide or frame they will not repair or replace it.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    Got a reply.
    I sent this.

"So you are telling me your company won't repair or replace a firearm if shooting SAAMI spec factory loaded ammunition, and your firearm breaks such as a cracked slide or frame or any other parts that may fail?"

Thanks, Drew"

So there you have it. If you are shooting factory ammunition and the Springfield firearm gets a cracked slide or frame they will not repair or replace it.

Think I will stay away from all of their products!!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Got a reply.
    I sent this.

Thanks, Drew"

SA is on the top of my current "Kiss my A**" list due to some seriously poor and deceitful warr issues. I will never again buy a new gun that will in any way benefit their bottom line. **** them. Twice.

I do have that same TRP in full rail bull barrel 45ACP that I had AllenM fit up a new slide/barrel and it is now 10mm and runs anything I feed it. It has gotten a steady diet of a friends very reliable reloads that are full spec and it likes them.

Everything has a duty cycle. Everything. When you beat anything hard relentlessly that cycle will be shortened by degrees. We took steps with my TRP to take some of the sting out of the recoil. I would do the very same things to any gun I bought from the factory that was going to be ran extremely hard.
    Nothing will live forever.

I have never heard of a springer failing in this manner. Not saying they wont either. But the original Colt Deltas were not at all up to the task at hand and they were the reason the 10mm round was sissyfied and fell out of favor for so long.

I currently have 2 10mm 1911's and have zero fear of beating on them.
    I also have 2 in process at this time. 3 of the 4 are ground up customs and the other is the TRP I spoke of.

I would never trust an RIA at that level. Will it live...????
    Will they fix it if it doesn't....They say they will.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Pretty much what I was expecting. I’ll admit I’m not up on 1911 stuff, but ammo related failures isn’t one I recalled seeing last I looked at things.

All I shoot is full 10mm rounds and I'm looking for a 1911 that can handle it. Funny thing is Rock Island says theirs can and is covered by the warranty if it doesn't. Springfield Armory says no way.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And for those cases where I have seen a catastrophic blow up, the ammo company and the firearm company seem to have worked together to review it and follow up.

Now a hairline crack or something of that nature for a gun that's been fed a steady diet, would think that typically the firearm manufacturer would be dealing with that.

If I had something like that happen (hairline crack, etc), I'd give the firearm manufacturer a chance to make it right. If they did, great, I'll be posting about how good their CS is, etc. If they didn't then post it all over the internet and then send the manufacturer some URLs to it to see what their bad CS cost them in rep...

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    All I shoot is full 10mm rounds and I'm looking for a 1911 that can handle it. Funny thing is Rock Island says theirs can and is covered by the warranty if it doesn't. Springfield Armory says no way.

[video=youtube_share;juNqfxhirBM]https://youtu.be/juNqfxhirBM[/video]

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Unless you are seeing issues of them failing, what difference does it make?

In another thread CM was discussing the issue of 1911 10mm handling full 10mm rounds. It has to be a good 1911 and has to be set up right is what I gathered. So it would make a difference if a 1911 starting failing before it hits 1000 rds. CM knows more about setting up a 10mm than I. I'm just trying to find a great platform that can actually handle a steady diet of full power 10mm.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    10mm on standard 1911 platform is not a 50,000 RPY gun. Also , to be efficient, it is an ability driven concoction that requires good skills.

When I want this much energy without being needless I turn to my .41Mags.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In another thread CM was discussing the issue of 1911 10mm handling full 10mm rounds. It has to be a good 1911 and has to be set up right is what I gathered. So it would make a difference if a 1911 starting failing before it hits 1000 rds. CM knows more about setting up a 10mm than I. I'm just trying to find a great platform that can actually handle a steady diet of full power 10mm.

Like the Springfields he has/has had?

It just seems, to me, that you may be more focused on the ‘what ifs’ than what people report/experience. I’d look at that If no one is reporting issues with Springfields holding up, does it matter what they will or won’t fix?

Top Bottom