• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    So I am out and about today. It was time for a pit stop so I decide to go in to RK. So I have to go right past the ammo section. Everything fmj was mostly cleaned out. Yet there were several flavors of Jhp. Ranging from Hornady to Remington, and Federal Hst. Minimum of 6-10 boxes of each. So I am guessing that all the new gun owners are staying away from JHp?

I get that people want target loads for practice but I mean seems like with you would see a lot more people out practicing.

Last edited:

nagkalimot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2020
    Martinsville
    I know the case at my local RK, is that they just got a huge shipment of jhp in... that is all they have, because that is all they got... well and some FM 9mm.

I don't think that they meant to send only jhp, and I definitely don't think that is all that was "left" in the stores; but that may be all they could get from the companies they buy from...

Most of what came in today was 50 round boxes, which are just more expensive so they don't move as easy.

I definitely got my 4 box limit!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I know the case at my local RK, is that they just got a huge shipment of jhp in... that is all they have, because that is all they got... well and some FM 9mm.

I don't think that they meant to send only jhp, and I definitely don't think that is all that was "left" in the stores; but that may be all they could get from the companies they buy from...

Most of what came in today was 50 round boxes, which are just more expensive so they don't move as easy.

I definitely got my 4 box limit!

Yeah it was like 43.00 a box for Remington Green and white box 45 Jhp. Which is not bad. Considering they run just fine and are p!enty accurate in my 1911.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yeah it was like 43.00 a box for Remington Green and white box 45 Jhp. Which is not bad. Considering they run just fine and are p!enty accurate in my 1911.

You need to load your own.
    It's WAY cheaper than that!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    You need to load your own.
    It's WAY cheaper than that!
    Hmm sounds good in theory, but a few things not in my favor.
    Skillset, I have no idea how, then there is the time factor, which in which there is little free time right now. So for me $43.00 for a box of 50 allows me to train and carry the same round. For me not a bad trade off.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Hmm sounds good in theory, but a few things not in my favor.
    Skillset, I have no idea how, then there is the time factor, which in which there is little free time right now. So for me $43.00 for a box of 50 allows me to train and carry the same round. For me not a bad trade off.

It takes 11 minutes to load 100 rounds. Can I have your brass!?!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, 'bout 25 ~ 30 years ago I decided I would never be caught up in any ammo "shortage". My youngest son (he's 49) and I collect firearms (and ammo) and have at least 5 years heavy use of almost every caliber we own - and we own over 35 calibers! I'm sure some of my great great grandsons or granddaughters will still have a stash of ammo! We also reload almost every caliber and have over 30K primers, powder and bullets (may have a few less bullets but have a LOT of lead and 3 pots with many molds and some gas checks).

During the last few times ammo and firearms hit low prices we purchased in bulk (case lots) even though we didn't have any specific reason. Really costs a lot less to purchase that way and no issue of being short on ammo!

I can understand new shooters being caught short - but really no excuse for those that have been shooting for years...

I'm sure not doing any shooting during the Covid 19 outbreak, as I am 78 and wife is 77 with medical problems that make her very venerable, I am taking NO chances on contacting or bringing home the virus

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    FMJ will work for self defense. It's not ideal compared to defensive JHP, but I've yet to see anyone shot with FMJ complain that it tickles. Lots of both good guys and bad guys in the dirt due to regular old FMJ.

binkerton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Rural King in Columbus must've gotten another truck in the last day or so cause the ammo table was reloaded. Not much for 9mm just some Critical Defense and 50 ct boxes of Blazer Brass, but tons of other common handgun calibers. Looked like more ARs were back in too.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Well, 'bout 25 ~ 30 years ago I decided I would never be caught up in any ammo "shortage". My youngest son (he's 49) and I collect firearms (and ammo) and have at least 5 years heavy use of almost every caliber we own - and we own over 35 calibers! I'm sure some of my great great grandsons or granddaughters will still have a stash of ammo! We also reload almost every caliber and have over 30K primers, powder and bullets (may have a few less bullets but have a LOT of lead and 3 pots with many molds and some gas checks).

During the last few times ammo and firearms hit low prices we purchased in bulk (case lots) even though we didn't have any specific reason. Really costs a lot less to purchase that way and no issue of being short on ammo!

I can understand new shooters being caught short - but really no excuse for those that have been shooting for years...

I'm sure not doing any shooting during the Covid 19 outbreak, as I am 78 and wife is 77 with medical problems that make her very venerable, I am taking NO chances on contacting or bringing home the virus

Sure some of us were victims of tragic boating accidents, and have not since recovered. But seriously we can shoot as much as we want at our range and be just fine.

Top Bottom