• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I would like to have a get home firearm and really don't know what is better to have, AR pistol or pistol caliber brace pistol?, if I go the AR pistol I will put something together to keep cost at a minimum. What is best to have in the real world.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    How do you plan to carry it?

Now days I travel with an AR pistol in 556 but still haven't found the backpack I want. I often use a tennis racket bag. If I have to get out the SBR/pistol I won't care about anyone knowing I have it at that point.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    How do you plan to carry it?

Now days I travel with an AR pistol in 556 but still haven't found the backpack I want. I often use a tennis racket bag. If I have to get out the SBR/pistol I won't care about anyone knowing I have it at that point.

I was thinking like you about a backpack or something similar that doesn't attract attention.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    My vote is PCC in 9mm. I think a 9mm, especially suppressed, would be a great asset in getting you where you need to go without attracting as much attention if it needs to go bang.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    If the overall length of the 9mm PCC and AR in 5.56 are the same length, why wouldn't you choose the rifle round?

I have a Midwest Industries 11.5 AR with law tactical folding pistol brace. It will fit in a hiking backpack, duffel bag, etc.

I'm not sure why there has been a big push lately for pistol caliber carbines, especially with the pistol brace and folding stock innovations as of lately. There is simply no comparison for the lethality of a pistol round vs a rifle round.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If the overall length of the 9mm PCC and AR in 5.56 are the same length, why wouldn't you choose the rifle round?

I have a Midwest Industries 11.5 AR with law tactical folding pistol brace. It will fit in a hiking backpack, duffel bag, etc.

I'm not sure why there has been a big push lately for pistol caliber carbines, especially with the pistol brace and folding stock innovations as of lately. There is simply no comparison for the lethality of a pistol round vs a rifle round.

All I can say is ‘quiet confidence’. I know I can make the 9 do work, and do it quietly and reliably. I run a 10.5” rifle at work and it is so very blasty that it is unpleasant at best. I feel like that wouldn’t be an issue with the 9 and it would keep me as close to the gray man as I can get should it need to be used.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    VUPD how long does it take for the paper work to go through and an approval to get a suppressor? I was told it's around a 2 year waiting period now days.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

My 556 AR pistol not only fits in a duffle bag but a small one at that. In the middle of a 300blk folding brace pistol now for this very reason. No comparison to stopping power with a rifle round vs a pistol round. If you have to use it you need no hopes of it stopping the threat, you need to know its going to stop the threat. Plus keep the threat at further distances. 9mm AR pistol is for fun to me, I love mine but if I want a defensive weapon I vote a rifle caliber.

Last edited:

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    If im bringing a long gun out (either AR or PCC), then im not really worried about sneaking around and being quiet. If I am, then I can bring a suppressor for the AR. If I get a long gun out, im looking to get increased range and lethality. Both of which, the AR wins.

The big issue with a bug out gun, is being able to transport it so that no one can see it-until you need to use it. Both the AR and PCC can be concealed in a bag.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    During this, I've only added a trunk "tactical" shotgun (Mossie 500 with the spiky muzzle device that supposedly acts like a key for almost any door) along with my EDC 9mm.

If I'm trying to get home, then I am actively avoiding people. I'm not going to be shooting for distance. I'd probably be fine with just the 9, but the shotgun provides some insurance. It has the collapsible stock and a short-but-not-SBS barrel.

Again, if I'm trying to get home on foot, I'm avoiding people and not really caring about CC.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My trunk gun (when I feel the need to carry it, it doesnt go everywhere I go) is a Glock fed AR9 Pistol. I chose that for commonality. One set of mags and ammo for both my EDC and get home gun. I can reliably ring 8" steel at 100 yards with that AR.

You'd be surprised what a Wilson advantage tennis bag will hold.

That is my choice for a 8" PCC

All I can say is ‘quiet confidence’. I know I can make the 9 do work, and do it quietly and reliably. I run a 10.5” rifle at work and it is so very blasty that it is unpleasant at best. I feel like that wouldn’t be an issue with the 9 and it would keep me as close to the gray man as I can get should it need to be used.

My 8" is a lot of fun. Not too blasty.

VUPD how long does it take for the paper work to go through and an approval to get a suppressor? I was told it's around a 2 year waiting period now days.

I heard somebody on here saying cans are being approved in under 3 months. That was pre-pandemic though.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Anywhere from 3-12 months for a Form 4 on an NFA item. Form 1, especially if submitted electronically, should be a handful of weeks.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'd say carry whatever you can shoot well, have confidence in, can trust to work if needed, and costs the LEAST amount of money.
    Because if God forbid you ever have to fire it for self defense, the police will take it.
    And don't count on getting it back anytime soon if ever, even after you're cleared.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Backpack set up to get home. AR based PCC braced with a spitfire Prism on it.
    8 30 rd mags full of the best hole punchers available.
    A pre-B CZ with several 18 rd mags loaded the same as the PCC.

Some essentials.

Lets party.

Top Bottom