• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I am wondering about the effective use of boycotts. Do they work or do they just make one feel good.

An example I have is many years the past Boycott on McDonalds because we heard or thought or have proof that Ronald the Clown was anti gun. So for the most part we stayed away from the cold fries, dirty unbussed tables, unattentive clerks that mumble and don’t know how to make change, pixx poor manglement, plastic patties, and the snare of making us wait for “fast food”. I was running a very large match one year and my staff all showed up on a very hot Friday. We had to set the stages, build props, clean thing up, set heavy steel etc. Being on a deadline for the 100’s of people showing up on Sat morning. Lunchtime came and the only place to get food fast was a nearby McDonalds. One of my RO’s had a coupon that really reduced the money we needed. What to do in the middle of this Boycott? Starve? Take more time and money to feed everyone? You guessed it, we did the clown food. Being a prisoner of my character I hated to use McDonalds but the few hundred shooters and families that came together to enjoy the match did more for the support of gunowners/shooters than enabling the supposed anti gun restaurant.

That was many moons ago. In the meantime we hear of other examples. UPS, FedEx, Springfield Armory, Rick River, PayPal, NRA, Ruger, Remington, Colt, all at one time has had controversy. Real or Perception and not knowing the whole story I have witnessed InGo peeps boycotting these companies while everyone of them have and continue to enable shooters and sport every single day.

The question is do knee jerk boycotts work? Are they based on accurate and complete information? Is the boycotter on the BOD and has first hand information?For me personally, everyone of these companies provide a supply and demand to my lively hood and sport so I need to continue to use them.

any thoughts or missed companies?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They can work. But does Levi’s even know I refuse to buy their jeans anymore? Probably not. On the other hand, how does one even keep track of all of the companies that don’t kowtow to our preferences? When it comes to companies that are just anti-gun alone, if I personally boycotted every one that’s given ground, much less enthusiastically joined with the anti-gunners, I’d probably have to live the life of an Amish farmer.

Political pressure does work though. It does or you wouldn’t have seen all of those companies since Trump got elected (especially) change their policies to placate anti-gun agitators.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Depends upon how you define "works". If success is measured by a long term change in the actions and directions of the targeted companies, the answer is no.

If you define "works", as bonding a group of like minded people together to move, as group, policies forward. Then they can be successful if the follow-up is maintained, directed and focused.

From a 2A perspectice, the past 30 years would tell us that the Constitution is continuing to be the loser. Not anti-gun Corporations or Politicians.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Coordinated and organized boycotts, or the threat of them, does seem to have worked to some extent for the left leaning "progressive" groups. They've used social media pretty effectively to get corporations to change policy or adopt their demands.

I think they tend to be less effective for more conservative minded folks because most people in this category have jobs, families and lives that take up their focus. By nature conservative people are more individually minded and would rather just not buy from a company rather than try and organize a coordinated and public boycott. We'd rather take personal action and let the market decide.

I also have a hard time keeping track of all of the companies I said I wouldn't do business with anymore. I can remember the big ones, but I don't spend my time looking for companies with bad policies or that support groups I don't agree with. The activist left does. They have the time and enough unemployed losers with a desire to be perpetually offended that they can search them out.

Over the past few years I've been reevaluating my past priorities, particularly around what I consume. There's just so much crap that's not needed, and I've cut my consumption way down, along with the "stuff" that I buy. This started long before Corona. When I do need something, I often try and get it used. The less new stuff you buy, the less business you give to companies that don't share your values.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I go back and forth on this. A huge majority don't sting too much but if you look at Dick's Sporting goods and people not shopping their after their gun stunt it was obvious they took a hit.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I go back and forth on this. A huge majority don't sting too much but if you look at Dick's Sporting goods and people not shopping their after their gun stunt it was obvious they took a hit.

As of 03/10/20, the data does not support that Dick's Sporting Goods has been hurt: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/dicks-sporting-goods-dks-reports-q4-2020-earnings.html

Copy and Paste Cliff Note Version:

Here’s how the company did during its fiscal fourth quarter compared with what analysts were anticipating, based on a Refinitiv survey of analysts:

• Earnings per share: $1.32, adjusted, vs. $1.22 expected
    • Revenue: $2.61 billion vs. $2.57 billion expected
    • Same-store sales: up 5.3% vs. growth of 3% expected
    Dick’s reported growth in the number of transactions in stores and shoppers’ average ticket, “despite the compressed holiday selling season and the challenging conditions we faced with unseasonably warm weather,” CEO Ed Stack said.

Net sales were up about 4.7% to $2.61 billion from $2.49 billion a year earlier, topping estimates for $2.57 billion.
    Sales online and at stores open for at least 12 months were up 5.3% during the holiday quarter, better than the 3% jump that analysts were expecting. The company said e-commerce sales were up 15%.

Oldgunfan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2018
    GPS signal lost
    From a 2A perspectice, the past 30 years would tell us that the Constitution is continuing to be the loser. Not anti-gun Corporations or Politicians.

I've gotta disagree on this point.

While the 1994 federal assault weapons ban falls within your time frame, it did sunset in 2004 and the nation has thusfar withstood all efforts to renew it. But most importantly, the 2008 Heller decision affirmed the right of the individual to bear arms, independent of a militia.

While I agree that residents of some states have seen their gun rights curtailed, other states have seen an expansion of their gun rights, like constitutional carry. (Indiana has been expanding gun rights over the past 10 years.)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I have better things to do than concern myself with the political opinions of corporations. I'd prefer they just shut the hell up and peddle whatever goods they're peddling.

That said, corporations making the right statements has proven to be quite the business decision. I sure don't remember Chik-fil-A needing six people working outside just to keep the drive through moving until they made their opinions known on gay marriage. Didn't make me want a chicken sandwich more than I did before and I don't frequent their locations more than I used to but plenty sure seem to.

I've been boycotting Taco Bell for close to ten years but that's because their food is ****.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If the boycott doesn't become "viral" on some kind of social media platform, then short answer - no, I don't believe they work.

This is especially true with convenience products.
    If a product makes people's life more convenient - they are going to use it no matter what.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    As of 03/10/20, the data does not support that Dick's Sporting Goods has been hurt: https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/dicks-sporting-goods-dks-reports-q4-2020-earnings.html

Here’s how the company did during its fiscal fourth quarter compared with what analysts were anticipating, based on a Refinitiv survey of analysts:

Dick’s reported growth in the number of transactions in stores and shoppers’ average ticket, “despite the compressed holiday selling season and the challenging conditions we faced with unseasonably warm weather,” CEO Ed Stack said.

Net sales were up about 4.7% to $2.61 billion from $2.49 billion a year earlier, topping estimates for $2.57 billion.
    Sales online and at stores open for at least 12 months were up 5.3% during the holiday quarter, better than the 3% jump that analysts were expecting. The company said e-commerce sales were up 15%.

I was wondering how it'd play out in the long run. They won't get any of my money but that is good to know. Thanks for the update.

For me it's almost to make me feel better difference or not. Plus if I can support someone pro gun of course I'd rather do that. I'd also expect anti gun places to get the same treatment from the other side Christian people give Chic fil a and gun owners give BRCC.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I was wondering how it'd play out in the long run. They won't get any of my money but that is good to know. Thanks for the update.

For me it's almost to make me feel better difference or not. Plus if I can support someone pro gun of course I'd rather do that. I'd also expect anti gun places to get the same treatment from the other side Christian people give Chic fil a and gun owners give BRCC.

We don’t shop at DSGs anymore and we were pretty regular customers. They don’t miss me but that’s ok.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Coordinated and organized boycotts, or the threat of them, does seem to have worked to some extent for the left leaning "progressive" groups. They've used social media pretty effectively to get corporations to change policy or adopt their demands.

I think they tend to be less effective for more conservative minded folks because most people in this category have jobs, families and lives that take up their focus. By nature conservative people are more individually minded and would rather just not buy from a company rather than try and organize a coordinated and public boycott. We'd rather take personal action and let the market decide.

I also have a hard time keeping track of all of the companies I said I wouldn't do business with anymore. I can remember the big ones, but I don't spend my time looking for companies with bad policies or that support groups I don't agree with. The activist left does. They have the time and enough unemployed losers with a desire to be perpetually offended that they can search them out.

Over the past few years I've been reevaluating my past priorities, particularly around what I consume. There's just so much crap that's not needed, and I've cut my consumption way down, along with the "stuff" that I buy. This started long before Corona. When I do need something, I often try and get it used. The less new stuff you buy, the less business you give to companies that don't share your values.

A lot of good points here.

Here is a simple truth as to why leftist boycotts seem to work better than conservative boycotts. The decision makers of these companies targeted by boycotts live among wealthy leftists, even if they themselves are not. Leftist boycotts, that go viral, affect their social lives, the parties they are invited too, the teachers at their kids school, their families in short. On the other hand, even if a conservative boycott goes viral, they will have little personal affect to their families lives.

In wealthy areas in today's world conservatives keep quiet because to pop up is to get whack-a-moled.

This is why I have seen much respect for the owners of Chik-Filet and Hobby Lobby standing up for their heartfelt beliefs...

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tejfsHJ.gif

Stores, Actors, Musicians, etc.
    I didn't ask their political positions regarding guns or what have you.
    They went out of their way to tell me their positions and that they denounce my way of life.
    If they would have just STFU I might still consuming their products.
    So boycotts work for me on a personal level.
    I share my concerns with family and friends and MOST agree.

[video=youtube;JA7CKvoKEmE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA7CKvoKEmE[/video]

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    A lot of good points here.

Here is a simple truth as to why leftist boycotts seem to work better than conservative boycotts. The decision makers of these companies targeted by boycotts live among wealthy leftists, even if they themselves are not. Leftist boycotts, that go viral, affect their social lives, the parties they are invited too, the teachers at their kids school, their families in short. On the other hand, even if a conservative boycott goes viral, they will have little personal affect to their families lives.

In wealthy areas in today's world conservatives keep quiet because to pop up is to get whack-a-moled.

This is why I have seen much respect for the owners of Chik-Filet and Hobby Lobby standing up for their heartfelt beliefs...

That's a good point about the social pressure of the company executives. I hadn't really considered that, but it makes sense.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I've gotta disagree on this point.

While the 1994 federal assault weapons ban falls within your time frame, it did sunset in 2004 and the nation has thusfar withstood all efforts to renew it. But most importantly, the 2008 Heller decision affirmed the right of the individual to bear arms, independent of a militia.

While I agree that residents of some states have seen their gun rights curtailed, other states have seen an expansion of their gun rights, like constitutional carry. (Indiana has been expanding gun rights over the past 10 years.)

The AWB has definitely been a win for the 2A but the 1990's also saw the implementation of the current NCIS system which is a liberal's gateway drug to further restricting access. I think we can all agree that universal backgrounds check are just a swing of the political pendulum away. Some of the largest states in the county has enacted ever restrictive laws (I am from NY btw), many of which are standing the test of the courts, even our neighbor to the West has created the FOID card and expanded it to ammunition. Are there 2A wins to point to? Absolutely, but at a time when we have arguably the most right leaning President even we can't even get silencers taken out of the NFA.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think a lot of the issue is organization and communication. There are mixed messages all around.

Does PayPal having a long standing policy to not handle firearm transactions for liability issues equal Walmart removing OC from their stores to politically answer active shooter situations?

Where does Kroger and NASCAR stand in this picture for jumping on the Walmart bandwagon at time when 2A proponents are taking a beating?

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil

^^THIS^^^

Boycots only have a feel good effect on the one boycoting They simply do not work. As in Dick s sporting goods, firearms was a small percentage of their sales. So not buying their small.selection doesn't put a dent in anything. There are more fields full of soccer (or whatever sport) moms and kids buying stuff at Dicks back in the day than any shooters.

Walmart boycot worked, how many hardliners hat ran their chips broke weak and were first there to buy cheap handgun ammo late last year and then again bow for 22 and other rifle calibers.

But everyone can do or think what they want

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Boycotts work for me. As a strong 2A proponent, why would I even consider supporting any business that takes a negative stance towards the 2A?

It's a simple answer.

The same as voting for a democrat.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Boycotts work for me. As a strong 2A proponent, why would I even consider supporting any business that takes a negative stance towards the 2A?

It's a simple answer.

The same as voting for a democrat.

good answer but how can you be sure of accurate info regarding the boycott.? For instance Springfield and Ruger. Do know for a fact how and why they are being frowned upon?

Top Bottom