May 9, 2012
    Crown Point

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I'm with you, but good luck. It will take years, even if we started today, to wean ourselves off Chinese stuff. Thanks to Sam Walton's kids.

We can get there. We can't let ourselves and our families forget about this.

This has been running through my head all day because we crossed another 'landmark number' this morning:

CHINA LIED, one hundred thousand died

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    If it's made in ChiComLand you probably really don't need it. Instant gratification and cheap stuff is funding our eventual slavery to our communist overlords. Just say NO to ChiCom crap.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm with you, but good luck. It will take years, even if we started today, to wean ourselves off Chinese stuff. Thanks to Sam Walton's kids.

Likely any device you are typing this on has some significant Chinese components, even if the end company is HQ'd elsewhere. We'll never be completely independent of China until all of these companies take their supply chains to the next 3rd world, low cost labor but technically capable locale.

I do applaud Brownell's marking the product pages for American made items. Definitely shows they know their customer base.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Doing some early morning poking around on Brownell's site and noticed something new, at least to me. They are starting to identify products made here. The little flag icon in the upper right corner is their indicator. Thought it was kinda cool.

Here's a Leupold scope as an example....https://www.brownells.com/optics-mo...opes/vx-r-patrol-rifles-scopes-prod54786.aspx

If you click the icon it explains it also.

Except, like dewalt tools, the parts are made in asia then assembled here. That alone is enough to get a "Made in USA" stamp.

It's kind of pathetic.

The ONLY company making a completely US made optic with US made lenses is US Optics, and I'm not sure if their newest stuff is still made using US glass.
    On highend trijicon stuff, you'll get schott glass from germany.

The problem is, there's no manufacturing for a gigantic number of critical small components, outside of asia. There's literally no alternative because they've cornered the market with slave labor, and driven everything else out of business.

The boat came and sailed on that one, due to people being duped into thinking products are US made when they're really chinese... Or Mexican/Canadian/Indonesia/etc. The auto industry is really a joke because of it.

Last edited:

t-squared

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Crown Point
    I agree with WebSnyper and Tombs in that we'll more than likely never be able to buy some items without sending SOME profits elsewhere...and that elsewhere will probably be China. And any claim of being "Made in USA" will probably always need an asterisk next to it.

But I also agree with others that when you keep where it's made in mind, and buy "made here" products as much as possible, it helps our families,neighbors,towns,states, and country.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    But I also agree with others that when you keep where it's made in mind, and buy "made here" products as much as possible, it helps our families,neighbors,towns,states, and country.

I also agree with this 100%.

I can also reconcile that several "foreign" companies (for example Toyota, Subaru, etc) also employ many Americans, while some of our "American" headquartered companies increase their margins as much as possible by outsourcing as much as they can to other countries. It can be tough to figure out who to do business with in a global economy, especially in situations where there aren't many alternatives (sometimes price pressured out of existence).

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It all depends on your definition of "made in the USA". In optics every company has a different definition. The closest to being made in the USA is the Vortex AMG where only the reticle itself is made oversea's. Originally the reticle was made here as well, but they couldn't keep up with demand and it was holding everything back, so they outsourced it to Germany. The ONLY glass made in the US is from Vortex for the AMG. A ton of companies manufacturer the parts in China, and do most assembly in China, then final assembly is here, and call that "Made in the USA". IMO that is not made in the USA, but your opinion may vary.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    I also agree with this 100%.

I can also reconcile that several "foreign" companies (for example Toyota, Subaru, etc) also employ many Americans, while some of our "American" headquartered companies increase their margins as much as possible by outsourcing as much as they can to other countries. It can be tough to figure out who to do business with in a global economy, especially in situations where there aren't many alternatives (sometimes price pressured out of existence).

The global nature of our supply chain will never be completely unwound.

Good point about the foreign automakers. I work for Toyota in Princeton and can say we source quite a few parts right here in the Tri-State area (Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky). For some years, the Toyota Camry, made in Georgetown, KY, was the most American car by percentage of parts sourced in the U.S.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    It all depends on your definition of "made in the USA". In optics every company has a different definition. The closest to being made in the USA is the Vortex AMG where only the reticle itself is made oversea's. Originally the reticle was made here as well, but they couldn't keep up with demand and it was holding everything back, so they outsourced it to Germany. The ONLY glass made in the US is from Vortex for the AMG. A ton of companies manufacturer the parts in China, and do most assembly in China, then final assembly is here, and call that "Made in the USA". IMO that is not made in the USA, but your opinion may vary.

US Optics no longer makes and grinds their own lenses?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    For some reason I cannot explain, I have always understood that German and Swiss glass optics were world class and while unequivocally supportive of buy American, don't have an issue buying them from there. It is the buy everything from China that I object to vehemently! We also must have American made, world class, optics for our troops...

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    For some reason I cannot explain, I have always understood that German and Swiss glass optics were world class and while unequivocally supportive of buy American, don't have an issue buying them from there. It is the buy everything from China that I object to vehemently! We also must have American made, world class, optics for our troops...

Agreed, these days a "not made in China or x various other countries" would be almost as much of a selling point as made in USA is.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Honest question here guys, I'm not trying to ruffle feather's, but where do you draw the line to be considered "made in China"? Is that line some parts come from China? All parts come from China? No parts come from China?

Top Bottom