• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I know this topic has been addressed recently, but damn if I can easily find the thread ... Corona fog

For starters, you can check in with the CIHPRS crew. They shoot at Atterbury.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    at redbrush (in newburgh) we have a 400 yard range open all but a day and a half a month, we do have a 500 yard range that's open about a day and a 1/2 a month.

our 500 yard range is behind our 400 yard shooting line, and when the 500 yard range is open, we have to close the 400.

we open the 500 up for members use about a 1/2 day a month on sundays (some months not every)

and one day a month (the last sunday) we have a match thats open to the public its a precision rifle match (sign up on pratiscore)... well at least we'll have a match after the corona craps over!

i know the op is in the indy area, and more than likley wont join our club just to shoot at a 400 yard range, but for the match, its open to the public, we have people drive from all over the midwest, we have a 2 story shooting tower, and ive been at the range when a match is going on, and let me tell you, they're a LOT of shooters!

if you want more info, just ask me, I can put you in touch with the match director!

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Proteq in Brazil (pay membership) 600yrds.
    AA-Change-Page

Bass n Bucks in Wabash($15/day pass) 750yrds

https://www.bassandbucks.com/

Young's Longshot, Woodruff(btw Goshen and Angola), members only, 1000yrds
    Young's Long Shot Range is a private range, available by membership only.
    To be considered for membership to Young's Longshot Range and for membership pricing information, contact Deb Young by phone or text at 260.350.2835 or email at youngslongshot@yahoo.com
    You will need to be a member of the NRA.
    Young's Long Shot Range

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    In my previous research I thought Hillside Shooting Sports allowed guests to shoot up to 200 yards and if you took a shooting test they would let you shoot longer distances. Only see a 200 yard limit advertised now but you might inquire.

TheDude8102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    Bass n Bucks in Wabash($15/day pass) 750yrds

https://www.bassandbucks.com/

Bass n Bucks looks like what I am wanting as far as simply getting some practice at longer ranges without committing to a membership yet. Thanks!

one day a month (the last sunday) we have a match thats open to the public its a precision rifle match (sign up on pratiscore)... well at least we'll have a match after the corona craps over!

I am definitely wanting to get into shooting matches once I get some more experience under my belt so this is great info to hear! Do I need to be a part of the club to shoot matches?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Do I need to be a part of the club to shoot matches?

all red brush matches are open to the public! BUT the prc match starts at 9 am on sunday mornings (cst) and lasts till the afternoon, there wont be a match in may, but I fully expect all matches to resume in june (bowling pin, steel challenge, idpa, prc)

I don't shoot prc, but if your interested, I can point you where to go for more info! I do know the match director, hell of a guy!!!, has offered to let me shoot his guns in the match, teach me how to shoot precision rifle, and more!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Red-Bru...enge-341703356023737/posts/?ref=page_internal

TheDude8102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    all red brush matches are open to the public! BUT the prc match starts at 9 am on sunday mornings (cst) and lasts till the afternoon, there wont be a match in may, but I fully expect all matches to resume in june (bowling pin, steel challenge, idpa, prc)

I don't shoot prc, but if your interested, I can point you where to go for more info! I do know the match director, hell of a guy!!!, has offered to let me shoot his guns in the match, teach me how to shoot precision rifle, and more!

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Red-Bru...enge-341703356023737/posts/?ref=page_internal

That would be excellent! I have never shot prc either but am gearing up to do so. I just got my reloads dialed in for my rifle and am chomping at the bit to get out an shoot!

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Does anyone know of some good ranges somewhat close to Central Indy to shoot at distances greater than 200 yards? Ideally out to 1000yards :cool:

I'm on the board of CIHPRS. Happy to answer any questions and help you get started. We resumed matches this past weekend. Everything ran smoothly Saturday and Sunday both. A few extra steps for entry onto base due to the pandemic, but nothing major at all.

We usually run matches 2 weekends each month...3x1000 yards and a 50 round across the course on Saturday, Palma match on Sunday (800, 900, 1000 yards) for one weekend, or a midrange (300, 500, 600, 600, 600 yards) on Saturday, and a 3x1000 on Sunday for the other.

Electronic targets require the round to be supersonic to register on the targets, so you have to be moving to make 1000 yards with a .223 or .308. Any match bullet should be fine for midrange (600 yards and in).

Full schedule and match description can be found at CIHPRS - CIHPRS Home

Thread that TJ mentioned
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...00-1000-yard-rifle-camp-atterbury-cihprs.html

Any questions, feel free to let me know.

TheDude8102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    I'm on the board of CIHPRS. Happy to answer any questions and help you get started. We resumed matches this past weekend. Everything ran smoothly Saturday and Sunday both. A few extra steps for entry onto base due to the pandemic, but nothing major at all.

We usually run matches 2 weekends each month...3x1000 yards and a 50 round across the course on Saturday, Palma match on Sunday (800, 900, 1000 yards) for one weekend, or a midrange (300, 500, 600, 600, 600 yards) on Saturday, and a 3x1000 on Sunday for the other.

Electronic targets require the round to be supersonic to register on the targets, so you have to be moving to make 1000 yards with a .223 or .308. Any match bullet should be fine for midrange (600 yards and in).

Thread that TJ mentioned
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...00-1000-yard-rifle-camp-atterbury-cihprs.html

Thanks for this info. Seems like if would want to eventually start at midrange. It looks like there are multiple classes with caliber restrictions. I have a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor so not sure what class would be best for me if any.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks for this info. Seems like if would want to eventually start at midrange. It looks like there are multiple classes with caliber restrictions. I have a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmoor so not sure what class would be best for me if any.

You'd be in F-open by NRA rules, but we do have a class we created at CIHPRS to let folks with "normal" rifles (not purpose build F-class rigs) compete against each other. We're calling it F-Practical. Basically it just has to be shot from a "normal" tactical bipod and rear squeeze bag. No moon lander bipods, $1000 mechanical front rests, and no bunny ear rear bags that let the rifle track perfectly rearward. It's a lot of fun.

TheDude8102

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2014
    Greenwood
    You'd be in F-open by NRA rules, but we do have a class we created at CIHPRS to let folks with "normal" rifles (not purpose build F-class rigs) compete against each other. We're calling it F-Practical. Basically it just has to be shot from a "normal" tactical bipod and rear squeeze bag. No moon lander bipods, $1000 mechanical front rests, and no bunny ear rear bags that let the rifle track perfectly rearward. It's a lot of fun.

That sounds excellent! Once I get setup I think I will start showing up to these. What types of ranges does F-Practical shoot at? Never been to a shooting competition like this so I am curious how they work.

Atturbury is only about 20 minutes from me so this is convenient too.

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    That sounds excellent! Once I get setup I think I will start showing up to these. What types of ranges does F-Practical shoot at? Never been to a shooting competition like this so I am curious how they work.

Atturbury is only about 20 minutes from me so this is convenient too.

We shoot midrange and long range.

Midrange matches are 300, 500, and 600 yards, or 3x600 yards. For a match, we'll shoot 5 strings...you can either shoot the 300, 500, 600, the 3x600, or both. If you shoot both, the 600 string of the 3,5,6 counts as the first 600 of the 3x600.

Long range is either a 3x1000 yards, or a Palma match, which is 15 shots at 800, 900, and 1000 yards.

I HIGHLY recommend a midrange match first before jumping into 1000 yards. It'll make everything go smoother and easier at the long yardline if you know the flow of everything and have good data to 600 at least.

Awaters1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2021
    Westfield
    In my previous research I thought Hillside Shooting Sports allowed guests to shoot up to 200 yards and if you took a shooting test they would let you shoot longer distances. Only see a 200 yard limit advertised now but you might inquire.
    They go out to 1000. Best range in the state. I miss it dearly.

Awaters1991

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2021
    Westfield

Thread that TJ mentioned

I’m new to long range precision shooting all together. May sound dumb, do you guys offer a class or course? Would love to get more involved and get into competition shooting.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I’m new to long range precision shooting all together. May sound dumb, do you guys offer a class or course? Would love to get more involved and get into competition shooting.
    We don't do a traditional class or training session. It's all "club" matches, and no cash and prizes to be won, so its all "practice" in a way.

Come on out to a midrange match (once a month, starting in March) before a long range, and see what it's all about. You can come watch if you want (email Shawn on the cihprs website), or better yet, sign up and shoot. Shooting might be the worst spectator sport there is. Bring a rifle, watch someone else shoot first, then jump in. As long as you're safe, its all good. No reason to sit on the sidelines.

Plenty of us are more than happy to help get you on paper. It's far easier than you'd think (especially for a midrange match) to get squared away and centered up within a few shots.

Let me know if you've got any more questions, I'm happy to help out.

Top Bottom