• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some of you here know me, at least online if not in person.
    If so, you know that a little over two years ago my uncle gifted my two brothers an me with 50 acres of wooded bottom land in southern Fountain county.

Today my uncle called me to tell me, among other things, that he feels it's time that he let my brothers and me take care of his firearms, and if he feels the need to use one, he can just "borrow" it from us. :rockwoot:

I know a little about his meager collection because I've added to it in the past couple of years.
    Two years ago I gave him a S&W M&P in .223 that I won in a FNRA banquet auction.
    I also gave him a S&W 22A semi-auto .22lr pistol.
    Looks like I'll be getting both back real soon.

I have LONG wanted the gun he has used for deer hunting the last couple of years, and it looks like I'm going to take possession of it too.
    It's a 1967-68 Remington 700 bolt gun in .25-06. It is heavily checkered on the stock and has a jeweled bolt. I'm excited.

One of my brothers collects older shotguns.
    Uncle says one of his collection is a Winchester model 97 pump 12ga with an exposed hammer.
    I have never seen a pump shotgun with an exposed hammer. Uncle swears he thinks it's a collector piece.
    That will go to this brother.

My youngest brother is going to get a Remington 700 in .30-06.
    Not sure which variation, but it's a nice rifle. That much I do know.

I believe he has a Winchester semi-auto .22lr of some sort, and I believe he has one or two more than are slipping my mind.

The brothers and I discussed this at lunch today, and agree. Although our uncle is 83 years old, he can run circles around many 50 year olds I know.
    He's very, VERY fit. He still walks 4 miles EVERY day.
    He's tromped around in our woods for the last two years and has not once worn out before I did.
    We've guessed he knows he's not getting any younger, and has talked in the past about giving us his guns when he's gone.
    I think he just doesn't want to die with those guns still in his house. He wants to know they'll be taken care of, and they will.

I still say I have one of the bestest uncles in the world!

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Your Uncle sounds like a wonderful example of what we need more of in this world.
    I'm sure those guns and land will mean the world to you and your Brothers, and both will be well taken care of.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Great Story..

Great story and sounds like a GREAT Uncle too..

One of my Uncle's, my Dad's Brother, years ago (20-25ye.), passed away while we lived out-of-state.

This Uncle, while I was a young lad=8-10 years old, helped teach me the finer points of the Woods, and hunting and fishing.

The VERY First firearm that I handled, and shot was one of His=a BEAUTIFUL Model 63 Winchester-tube through the stock fed .22LR. Semi-auto.
    (One of my "Homies" here on INGO could post a picture of one??)

Anyway, did not hear of His death for a few weeks after His passing, and was not able to attend His funeral.
    Found out later on that His Wife-who really did NOT like my Dad's side of the family, had sold ALL of His firearms to the local "Armslist" types..
    It was a GREAT Collection of many old Winchesters that just went "Down the Road" with NO chance of staying in the family!!

To me, it is of great importance to me to have those type of firearms to stay in the family!!

Oh well His are long gone now, but CONGRATS to you and your family...Bill.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Sounds like your 700 in .25 '06 is a brother to the 700 in 7mm mag my brother in law gifted me last year, same year production and all.

I hope you like yours as much as I like mine. Good luck.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like a solid plan.
    I hope he is around for many more years to enjoy the collection with all of you! Sounds like a great guy.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    The Winchester 1897 was designed by John M Browning. They were made from 1897 to 1957, if I remember correctly. I have one made in 1941 that I use for cowboy action shooting. They are fun guns to shoot.

Marlin also made an exposed hammer shotgun, but they were eventually disallowed in cowboy shooting due to slam fire issues.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Wow. That's cool. Seriously good on him for being a cool uncle.

I recently had almost the exact opposite happen to me. Soon after my grandmother passed my uncle basically stole her 44 acres of land on Wilbur Rd that had been in our family for almost 200 years. My grandmother had the original land deed from the 1800's just after Indiana became a state in her paperwork among her things. He sold it to the highest bidder stuck the money in his pocket and pretty much gave my mom, my brother and I the finger and went back to Maryland where he lives.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    383   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Sorry for your loss to the Family...

Wow. That's cool. Seriously good on him for being a cool uncle.

I recently had almost the exact opposite happen to me. Soon after my grandmother passed my uncle basically stole her 44 acres of land on Wilbur Rd that had been in our family for almost 200 years. My grandmother had the original land deed from the 1800's just after Indiana became a state in her paperwork among her things. He sold it to the highest bidder stuck the money in his pocket and pretty much gave my mom, my brother and I the finger and went back to Maryland where he lives.

I know this thread is about firearms, but sometimes loss of property-real estate, is of a greater loss.

Firearms can wear out, and kind of become inoperative, but land-DIRT- is Forever...

As for your uncle==Karma and all to him...Bill.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sorry didn't mean to bring your thread down OP. It's still a little fresh and stings a bit. This all only happened last year. It is great to hear of family members doing what is right by the family and not just for themselves. Glad you all got some nice guns and enough land to enjoy them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Sorry didn't mean to bring your thread down OP. It's still a little fresh and stings a bit. This all only happened last year. It is great to hear of family members doing what is right by the family and not just for themselves. Glad you all got some nice guns and enough land to enjoy them.

Seriously sorry to hear about your situation.
    That really sucks.
    Every time I hear about families that don't get along, I feel blessed.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The Winchester 1897 was designed by John M Browning. They were made from 1897 to 1957, if I remember correctly. I have one made in 1941 that I use for cowboy action shooting. They are fun guns to shoot.

Marlin also made an exposed hammer shotgun, but they were eventually disallowed in cowboy shooting due to slam fire issues.

Marlin had the 1898 to start with and developed others. It was a 'firing out of battery' issue that got them kicked out of cowboy shooting. The only thing that held the bolt in when not locked in battery was the lug on the op rod/slide so when it went off out of battery you would get a face full of bolt.

People still shoot the things despite being told about the possible cost. But then again some people still shoot the Winchester 1893...

Top Bottom