Quality Sight or just inexpensive to throw on it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Considering fiber optic sights, are they all that? Never used one so I was wondering? Also since they usually seem to come with replacements how durable are they on a edc.

Thanks

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Some people have a hard time getting used to them.
    I like them, especially in low light.

As for durability, I can only say, you get what you pay for.
    I wouldn't buy the $29.95 set.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Some people have a hard time getting used to them.
    I like them, especially in low light.

As for durability, I can only say, you get what you pay for.
    I wouldn't buy the $29.95 set.

Ok so the $9.95 set would be a bad choice? Seriously at the risk of scorn and ridicule I can not believe I am typing this, I am about ready to buy a Range officer Elite and the F/O sight is the only thing holding me back.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I would never have fiber optic sights on a carry gun. The plastic tubes breaks to easy. Night sights or nail polish on a plain front sight is more durable. Fiber optic is good for a range gun or competition gun not a carry gun you may need to save your life.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    My best shooting gun has one. Quick acquisition. Obviously not as durable as a steel sight. There's always a tradeoff in everything.
    If the gun shoots straight, it's a plus.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I had them on a couple guns. They usually come with different color tubes. I prefer red. I never broke one, but it wouldn't jam my gun if I did.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had fiber optic on my carry gun for at least 4 years, I test fire and rotate my carry rounds but mainly my carry handguns stay in the kydex holsters and so far I haven't brake a front sight rod. Yes the do break but you have to be rough but only takes a couple of minutes to replace if you have all the tools and can finish any drill if is missing as I experienced during a class, my eye sight has deteriorated and FO helps me quite a bit.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I've had a set of TFO's on my carry gun for several years and a 1000 + rounds down range. Best of both worlds, fiber optic plus tritium. With both the front and rear sights the fiber optic is encased on 3 sides with just the top open to gather the light. Haven had a problem yet and I'm not the most genital of people. Like them enough I put them on the house gun as well. Bright in the day and glow well enough in low light to pick up the sights quickly.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I like the fiber optic sight on my Ruger match champion from the factory. It is sturdy and well made. Even if the little tube were to break, the iron sights is still there..it's the first handgun I've ever owned with such a sight. I like it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I find fiber optic works great when you're on a range in the right lighting conditions, but falls apart indoors or in low light. I have yet to break one, but I've never bought a tiny tube fiber optic sight before.

In all honesty, testors florescent orange paint works equally well for me. It can just be tricky to get a good buildup and application that won't wipe off.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    I have FO front sights on several of my guns that are set up for steel challenge and other action sports. Once a FO rod fell out. I have not broken one yet, but carry guns can be exposed to tougher conditions than range/competition guns. Pocket carry, holsters, and drawing in adverse conditions could result in the FO rod breaking. As others have said, they are best for the range or action shooting, but not the best option for EDC.

They work great for quick sight acquisition. They do not work well in low light. They do not make up for poor eyesight. I would not put one on a carry gun.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I find fiber optic works great when you're on a range in the right lighting conditions, but falls apart indoors or in low light. I have yet to break one, but I've never bought a tiny tube fiber optic sight before.

In all honesty, testors florescent orange paint works equally well for me. It can just be tricky to get a good buildup and application that won't wipe off.

I use a base coat of white out yup the stuff used for typing corrections. Then a coat of orange nail polish. Three years on my carry gun and still looks good no chipping or pealing.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I've had a set of Warren tactical sights (fiber optic front, black rear) on my carry shield for probably 5 years or so now. Gets carried a lot, shot a decent amount, between 1000-2000 rounds a year or so. Never broken a fo rod. I have shot my glock sans fo rod before, while it's not as bright and eye catching when missing the rod, it's perfectly shootable without one.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There's more then one type of fiber optic sight. Some are better shielded then others. The TFO that comes factory on some Sigs is both heavily shielded and has a tritium vial underneath to light it up if there's no ambient light.

sight-frt-tru-8.jpg

The down side is the more shielding the more shadow on the tube, so it won't be as bright. Even if the fiber optic rod breaks or comes out, you still have a front sight. You're just back to a black one. A few years ago I had a thread here where my fiber optic came loose at the range (somewhere after the 40k total round count on a .40 P226) and I was able to finish the range session just fine.

Others have little to no shielding and are brighter, but more at risk to damage like:

6BC38C64-8A44-4FEA-9386-9BA0782F3508-768x432.jpeg

But again if the tube comes out, you're just back to a basic black front sight. NBD.

I like fiber optics and find them easy to shoot well under a variety of lighting conditions.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Over the years, I've found sights to be VERY personal preference. You're stuck with trying a few options before you REALLY settle.

I like fiber optic or brass fronts and murdered out rears.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Top Bottom