• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The queen of you do not need more than 3 rounds regardless of application and environment has now decided she needs a home defense gun. Again I am not going to stir the pot other than to convey unless she plans on becoming familiar , learning safe handling, do not bother.

So MIL lives Near Ann Arbor, so having been sometime since I have Lived in Michigan I really have no I idea where to send her for sound advice and guidance for her purchase.

She has also asked about recommendations my wife has told her to avoid a semi auto as she has issues with her thumbs, and a revolver may be the best option?

Thoughts

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I remember you referring to her in the past and no, I got nothing.
    Before she had considered it. Now she is serious.
    Seems that there was a Homicide in her Building, she lives in a condo. So now it’s front and center. seems like a 10/22 might be an option, guess we will wait and see where it goes.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Many will scoff at the idea, but she might consider the Kel-Tec PMR-30
    It is a lowly .22magnum, but it is easy to rack the slide, easy to control the miniscule recoil, and it has a 30 round magazine.

I don't care if it is only a .22mag, 30 rounds of ANYTHING is going to be an attention getter.
    A couple extra mags and you are looking at 90 rounds!

Disclaimer,
    Since we're talking Michigan, and I don't know the laws, it very well could be illegal to have a 30 round mag.
    Another thought, living in a condo, is there a homeowners association that would disapprove?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Many will scoff at the idea, but she might consider the Kel-Tec PMR-30
    It is a lowly .22magnum, but it is easy to rack the slide, easy to control the miniscule recoil, and it has a 30 round magazine.

I don't care if it is only a .22mag, 30 rounds of ANYTHING is going to be an attention getter.
    A couple extra mags and you are looking at 90 rounds!

Disclaimer,
    Since we're talking Michigan, and I don't know the laws, it very well could be illegal to have a 30 round mag.
    Another thought, living in a condo, is there a homeowners association that would disapprove?

Not sure I would think Private Property rights would prevail. I am right there with you although a 22Lr or 22Magnum would not be my choice, that being said a rim fire on target is nothing to discount.

My wife talked to her today, and low and behold she could not just walk in a pay for it, and leave you know! Is that the taste of the NPR coolaid going bad?

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Can you take her to a range to try a few firearms, and see what works best for her? That way she'll be much more invested in the decision, and more likely to develop good firearm handling habits.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Not sure I would think Private Property rights would prevail. I am right there with you although a 22Lr or 22Magnum would not be my choice, that being said a rim fire on target is nothing to discount.

My wife talked to her today, and low and behold she could not just walk in a pay for it, and leave you know! Is that the taste of the NPR coolaid going bad?
    Next thing you'll be telling us you can't order a gun online and have it delivered to your door.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Break action 12 gauge double, coach length. Easy to understand, kills anything inside a home.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Can you take her to a range to try a few firearms, and see what works best for her? That way she'll be much more invested in the decision, and more likely to develop good firearm handling habits.

it’s kind of a hike, that’s why I was hoping to be able to find a good LGS, Range to send her to. I suppose if it comes down to it my wife could go up there for a few days.

We have a history, since day one that my wife and I married. So I am trying to tread lightly. But after almost 20 years the whole you won’t make it past a year no longer holds water.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    I’m a firm believer if you are anti-gun in any fashion then you should have to honor your beliefs. You don’t get a come to Jesus moment of clarity because it’s convenient for you. Hard learned lessons aren’t soon forgotten. Sorry if it’s your mil or a close relative.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, I think Michigan has registration on hand guns. Carry permit has a class and proficiency test.
    that is just my recollection. My old boss lived up there.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Break action 12 gauge double, coach length. Easy to understand, kills anything inside a home.

Yep. A Joe Biden-approved weapon that indiscriminately kills anything that makes a sound. Just the ticket.

Is this the wrong time to show her the Scott Adams blog post about Democrats being afraid of being shot by other Democrats?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    And everyone knows you don't even have to aim a shotgun, just point it and shoot, plus as we know from Independence Day, ( Judd Hirsch) you have to rack a double barrel shotgun....Sorry the above should have been in purple.....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom