• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    Anyone else think this thing is the bee’s knees? It is a takedown, so there’s that...add a Sig folding adapter, and the whole thing fits in a laptop carry bag with 10 Happy Sticks !

Pics incoming.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    It is a bit nose-heavy compared to an AR9 platform, but seems to get back on target quickly after each shot. The chamber gets dirty quickly, but haven’t had a failure that wasn’t mag (drum) induced...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been told that the Rugers are heavy. Otherwise they look great, if you don't already have an AR9.

Does the Ruger controls mimic the AR platform?

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I've been told that the Rugers are heavy. Otherwise they look great, if you don't already have an AR9.

Does the Ruger controls mimic the AR platform?

It’s a bit different to handle than an AR, even though it uses a MOE stock and MLOK fore end.

The barrel is free-floated, but the handguard isn’t concentric to the barrel. The barrel is closer to the top, so you need to be careful with screw length.

The safety is ahead of the trigger, as is the bolt hold - much like an overgrown 10/22

The mag release and bolt handle are both switchable for ambi use, the safety not so much.

I don’t have a ton of rounds downrange yet, but mine has eaten 115gr Blazer, 124gr NATO, 124gr CCI, 147gr Federal with no issues. A buddy just got full mcarbo kit, I’ll report how it shoots compared to stock.

SpaceCowboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    I think they are awesome. I don't see the weight as an issue, while they may be a bit heavier than AR9 equivalents it just equates to a really soft shooting fun gun.

doublesharp

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Clark County
    It's on my short list. I've got a pc4 and a pc9 and like them both, especially the pc4 and I've got the 10-22 takedown and like it a lot so I'm just waiting for the next good buying opportunity.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Don't have the chasis carbine, but do have the takedown pc. other than a 10/22 this gun is probably the most fun I have. Also comes threaded, so suppressed shooting is an option. I don't notice the weight as an offputting factor.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Finally! Someone else that shares my opinion that they get dirty at the chamber! The one I rented and shot was really gassy, too. Granted, it was the ammo they make you buy at Point Blank - but man, even unsuppressed, it was GASSY. Like me after I eat a big bowl of granola cereal.

I've said it here before, and I'll say it again: If this was on the market 2 years / 18 months ago, there's a good chance they'd have sold one to me. But - I bought a Scorpion instead.
    I *had* an AR-9 pistol that I built several years ago - and didn't like it. Short 5" barrel - but it was still HEAVY. And had strangely high felt recoil IMO. I sold that upper...

Anyhow, back to the Ruger: If they're that gassy unsuppressed, I really do wonder how bad they'll be when they ARE suppressed - which is what I'd do.

A friend of mine was also looking to buy a PCC / pistol recently. He fondled a few of the Rugers, but then I told him about the FX-9 (made in Indiana!) and he bought one of those, instead.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    I have the standard carbine and I’m not sold on the chassis. Not sure that it’s really better, just different

I loved the standard, that’s what sold me on the chassis. :)

I like that this fits in a laptop bag, and can be shot with folded stock too. Folded, it’s just shy of 27 inches, so no worries on min length.

PatriotX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 6, 2014
    Michiana
    FWIW, got to shoot the carbine with all of the MCARBO upgrades.

The trigger kit and recoil reduction kit made a noticeable difference, with the recoil impulse feeling a bit more like a push than a smack. The trigger felt a bit crisper, with the flat profile having a nice touch face.

Top Bottom