• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I would strongly suggest that people avoid Sportsman's Guide. I only tried them because of some recommendations of others. But based on my experience, they will not honor their purchases and are defrauding people with their "membership".

I purchased 3,000 rounds of Fiocchi 9AP ammo on March 28th. It was .18 cents a round, so a decent deal considering the circumstances at the time. It was backordered and had a shipping date of 4/15. Because of the cost of shipping, I also purchased the "membership" that gives free shipping on all ammo. The membership was less expensive than the normal shipping costs and also provided a discount on the ammo. If my purchase was honored, I would have been happy with my purchase.

At the beginning of April I received an email stating that my shipping date has moved to 5/30 and I needed to confirm the acceptance of the new shipping date or Sportsman's Guide would cancel my order. I completed the online process of accepting the new date. I had confirmation and my shipping date changed on my order to the new 5/30 date.

Yesterday I checked on my order and it was showing cancelled. I emailed them (since their call center is closed) about why my order was cancelled and how this effects my membership. I did not ask for the order to be cancelled and I received no notification of any type. Their 1st response said I did not respond to the delayed shipping email so they cancelled my order. Which is not true. They told me I would need to reorder if I wanted that ammo. I cannot reorder that ammo as "item not currently available for sale". So apparently they did not even check their own website. They refused to address my concerns regarding the membership.

I then sent a 2nd email and explained that I did complete the process for delayed shipping. I also said they if they are refusing to send my product then I want a full refund on the "membership fee" that I paid to get free shipping on the ammo. That was the only reason to get the membership.

I received a 2nd reply stating that once an order has been cancelled, there is nothing they can do. They gave me a $10 credit for my "inconvenience", but they refuse to address my questions about refunding my "membership fee".

Their actions make it seem to me that they decided they just don't want to fulfill my order and cancelled it. Apparently they don't care about fulfilling orders when they can charge for the "membership fee" and then refuse to refund that. That is pure profit. To me they are just as crooked as "Cheaper Than Dirt" and are defrauding their customers.

Because of their actions I have reported the membership fee they charged in March as a fraudulent transaction to my credit card company.

I have filed both a Better Business Bureau and Indiana State Attorney General complaint against them.

I was hoping to resolve this directly. But either they are not taking time to read my entire email...or they are refusing to address my concerns on purpose. Either way is bad and horribly negligent customer service.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    This is disappointing to hear. I did something similar a few years back and bought a membership to cover shipping on some ammo and other odds and ends. I didn't order much else from them after that, but had no issues with the few orders I did place. I eventually let the membership lapse because I just wasn't shopping them that much.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm also sorry to hear that. I've had a membership for years and while I don't order as much from them as I used to, I always had very good luck with them. I usually ordered sleepwear for DoggyMama every Christmas, and I've ordered some clothes for me as well (fleece lined jeans and sandals for the most part). I would also take advantage of their free shipping deals with no minimum purchase (I don't think they're doing that anymore) to order a box or two of my oddball calibers.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I have worked with them for years, and have received nothing but the best of service. I returned an item one time just because it wasn't the quality I was expecting, and they even paid for return shipping.

I haven't ordered anything from them in the last couple of months, so maybe they have a bunch of goobers working for them right now.

Ron

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I'm really sorry to hear about your luck with them. I have been a member on SG for over 3 years and have spent WAY more than I tell my wife I have on that site. I have never had anything negative to say about them, and their customer service always treated me well if I had a problem, which rarely occurred.

However, I always spoke with customer service on the phone (approximately 3 times over 3 years), and wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe the entire company sucks and is crooked, or maybe it was just that particular employee that doesn't care to make it right for you. It's easier to say they can't do anything for you through an email, than it is speaking with someone in real time.

It legitimately could have been a glitch in the system that cancelled out the order, but they SHOULD make it right for you. It just seems like this is not the typical response I got from their customer service.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I have a friend from Minnesota who works for them, met him at the fall shoot a few Septembers ago. He has Asperger's, which almost makes him the perfect customer service agent. I'm surprised to hear of the hijinks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I just had a run in with Sportsmans Guide customer service a month or so ago.
    I've had a Guide club membership for at least 6 years, but it will end with this term.

They "automatically renewed" my membership, AFTER I had gone to their website and "unclicked" the auto-pay feature.
    This was what I was told to do by customer service.

When I called back to complain, the rep on the phone only said, "Yeah, the link on our website doesn't work. Never has. If you want to cancel the auto-pay feature you need to call customer service to have them do it."

I asked why the turn-off button was even on the website if it didn't work.
    She said, "I don't know why they don't fix that. We get complaints about it all the time"

I told her to turn off the auto-pay feature on my account, and I would not be renewing.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You are entitled to a refund if you cancel within 90 days per the SG Buyer's Club terms at https://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/pdf/sg-buyers-club-terms-conditions.pdf

"Membership Cancellation--Members may cancel their Membership at any time during their Membership term. If the Member cancels theirmembership within 90 days of their active Membership start date, they will receive a full refund, less anybenefits/savings received in their current Membership term (for example, Buyer’s Club Discounts received or freeshipping). Refunds will not be made for any Club Memberships canceled after 90 days, even if the Member did not useany of the benefits during the Membership term. To cancel your Membership, please sign into your account atSportsmansGuide.com and go to your Account Dashboard or call our customer service department at 1-800-375-3006."

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I'm really sorry to hear about your luck with them. I have been a member on SG for over 3 years and have spent WAY more than I tell my wife I have on that site. I have never had anything negative to say about them, and their customer service always treated me well if I had a problem, which rarely occurred.

However, I always spoke with customer service on the phone (approximately 3 times over 3 years), and wonder if that has anything to do with it. Maybe the entire company sucks and is crooked, or maybe it was just that particular employee that doesn't care to make it right for you. It's easier to say they can't do anything for you through an email, than it is speaking with someone in real time.

It legitimately could have been a glitch in the system that cancelled out the order, but they SHOULD make it right for you. It just seems like this is not the typical response I got from their customer service.

I have heard many good stories like yours. That is why I initially did business with Sportsman's Guide.

However it is not just one person who responded in this manor. Each email has been answered by a different customer service rep.

I also don't understand why they have closed their call center. I know several call center people who are working from home for other companies. I have seen other companies who are not able to forwarded their phones, but are using work arounds. Like either using emails or voicemails and call out to people.

I guess we will see how they respond to my official complaints. According to the BBB website, they have had 26 complaints since the beginning of March of this year alone. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like a lot to me. They have had 70 complaints in the last 36 months. That means 37% of all their complaints have been made since March...just 2 1/2 months. That tells me something has changed.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Pretty common for ammo back orders at many places. Especially with Fiochi since it comes from Italy and was shut completely down, I'm not sure they are even loading cartridges again. They fill contracts with militaries and police forces first then fed us hungry Americans. I can't imagine many resellers getting it under 15 cents a round for a few months. Sg isn't going to lose money on an order, no business will. It's common practice now to cancel and refund. Happened to me with some body armor just prior to lockdown. Nothing to get mad at

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We used to be members and used the site until they started manipulating shipping/handling and stringing out orders. I ordered 3 items as Christmas gifts in mid November. I did not receive them by around the 10th of Dec and I needed to get them in the mail. The items showed in stock. I called and got the run around from the drip I was connected to as he said nothing he could do. I said cancel the order. I do not want it any more but they had pulled the funds from my account and that in itself pisses me off. He said they would cancel and replace the funds. A week later nothing. I called and went up the food chain and was again told the order would be cancelled and funds returned. Christmas came and went. I called again and GOT THE SAME RUN AROUND.

1st week of January the packages arrived from 3 different places. SG is not a stocking distributer like Brownells etc. They suck at a very high vacuum and I will never use them again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Pretty common for ammo back orders at many places. Especially with Fiochi since it comes from Italy and was shut completely down, I'm not sure they are even loading cartridges again. They fill contracts with militaries and police forces first then fed us hungry Americans. I can't imagine many resellers getting it under 15 cents a round for a few months. Sg isn't going to lose money on an order, no business will. It's common practice now to cancel and refund. Happened to me with some body armor just prior to lockdown. Nothing to get mad at

Well, depends on what you are told.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    I have heard many good stories like yours. That is why I initially did business with Sportsman's Guide.

However it is not just one person who responded in this manor. Each email has been answered by a different customer service rep.

I also don't understand why they have closed their call center. I know several call center people who are working from home for other companies. I have seen other companies who are not able to forwarded their phones, but are using work arounds. Like either using emails or voicemails and call out to people.

I guess we will see how they respond to my official complaints. According to the BBB website, they have had 26 complaints since the beginning of March of this year alone. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems like a lot to me. They have had 70 complaints in the last 36 months. That means 37% of all their complaints have been made since March...just 2 1/2 months. That tells me something has changed.

That sounds like something has changed. I'll admit, I don't order as much as I used to and think I've only placed 1 or 2 orders this year. I too would be pissed in your situation. They used to have really good deals and special discount codes that allowed for some crazy savings, but I have noticed that has changed too. Maybe they have changed management or their business structure recently.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    My one and only order from them so far was 200 .50 Cal Speer Deep Curl bullets. They sent it as signature required, which kinda pissed me off because I had to wait an extra few days to pick them up at the post office. It wasn't even loaded ammunition, just bullets. In fact, I ordered 1000 rounds of 5.56 with 10 PMags from PSA one time and that didn't even require a signature. Kinda turned me off of them.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have never been impressed by them or Cheaper Than Dirt. There was a time, back in the late 90's, that I was ordering a lot of stuff from them and the other, but not no more.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

If I got refunded, I would agree. But right now they are refusing to even discuss any refunds.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . Pretty common for ammo back orders at many places. Especially with Fiochi since it comes from Italy and was shut completely down, I'm not sure they are even loading cartridges again. They fill contracts with militaries and police forces first then fed us hungry Americans. I can't imagine many resellers getting it under 15 cents a round for a few months. Sg isn't going to lose money on an order, no business will. It's common practice now to cancel and refund. Happened to me with some body armor just prior to lockdown. Nothing to get mad at

I've been having lots of trouble ordering a 70 dollar scope from one of our own Hoosier vendor's clunky website. In fact, this would have been the 4th in the last year and a half or so, and every time they've had to force it through over the phone. So I leave a message, and a couple of hours later he calls me back. He tells me they aren't doing any phone orders because it might sell out while we're taking the order, and that it must be that I'm just not putting my address in right. He tells me to keep trying, and if unsuccessful after a couple of days, to call him back. This was yesterday. A couple of days is Sunday. Hmmm. So I immediately pull the truck over onto a county road and try 6 more times. None of them go through, and my credit union freezes the card. Awesome. I'm starting to wonder if the juice is even worth the squeeze when they act like they just don't want to take the time to put an order through. If we did put one through on the phone, and the scope had sold out, I'm thinking they could just refund it and notify me when they get more. But I'm getting a distinct impression that I'm just not significant enough of a customer to warrant their attention. Again,. Juice and squeeze.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Possible Resolution???

I received an email this morning from the BBB. They had reviewed my complaint and had forwarded it to Sportsman's Guide.

This afternoon I received a call from a gentleman from Sportsman's Guide.

He apologized for the incident and was very cordial. He re-entered my order, and put me back in line for the ammunition that I had originally requested.

I hope this order sticks and is not cancelled down the road. But it is a step in the right direction.

I am not calling this finalized until the ammo is sitting in my house. But at this point, assuming everything goes as planned, the resolution is acceptable.

It is just sad that I had to go through such great lengths to get proper customer service. I hope they can work out the problems with their service levels as I prefer to see companies succeed in the firearms industry.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call me a cynic, but expect it to happen again. They just successfully resolved the BBB complaint resulting in a positive review.

They can still kick the can down the road and screw you again, but they'll still have this particular tick in the + column for their reputation. So even if they screw you a second time and lose, they still come out even with a +1 and -1. (pretty sure your next complaint will be considered a new case)

I'd find out if there is a way with the BBB to park the case until you actually get resolution. let them know another promise has been made, but not fulfilled and you have not been made whole. It is NOT resolved.

Or for safety's sake, call them back and get them to cancel the order AND refund your membership. At that point it is resolved, you have your $$ back, and can move on. That's the only guarantee you have of winning this one.

Top Bottom