• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Playing around with the idea of coyote hunting looking at options for an optic. Will be using 223 in the beginning. Building an AR-10 would like to use that after its built. IR or thermal. Dont really want to spend a fortune. I know thermal is pricey. Anyway recommendations for an entry level scope. I dont need wifi or on board storage or any other those other bells and whistles. Just a basic scope that will get the job done.

Thanks!!

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Rookie is the resident NV and coyote hunting guru here, he should be able to give you some good recommendations. I know he'll probably want to know what your budget is first.

Paging Rookie, Rookie to the white courtesy phone please.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    223 will work just fine to get you into the game. You’re in a pinch with the optics though... night vision is (relatively) affordable, but it will always come up short compared to thermal. Having hunted with NV and thermal together, and been both the guy with the NV comparing to the guy’s thermal next to me, it’s a total game changer. I’ve been amazed at how much you see with thermal that would have walked right past with NV or lights.

andrewthesainty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2020
    Madison
    @7hatguy my recommendation would be Pulsar Phantom Gen 3 4x60mm Night Vision Rifle Scope. MSRP $2K5
    The night scope features; Gen 3 Image Intensifier Tube with Ultra durable housing (composite and duraluminum D16), High magnification with a large 60mm objective lens, Internal focusing knob for easy operation, Uses one AA battery or one CR123A battery and Environmentally protected from dust and rain.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Get a Bering optics hogster 25. It's the best most affordable thermal out there. I'll not go back to nv, if you want I'll sell you my nv setup.

Hog25 is clear, has 4 gun settings, so you can go, from rifle to rifle, there is no point change when switching rifles. It's a nice scope for the money.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    @7hatguy my recommendation would be Pulsar Phantom Gen 3 4x60mm Night Vision Rifle Scope. MSRP $2K5
    The night scope features; Gen 3 Image Intensifier Tube with Ultra durable housing (composite and duraluminum D16), High magnification with a large 60mm objective lens, Internal focusing knob for easy operation, Uses one AA battery or one CR123A battery and Environmentally protected from dust and rain.

i feel like if i was going to spend $2500 on a scope i would go thermal. Ive always been under the impression that NV was usually less than thermal. Im willing to spend $1000-$1500

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Watching a few yt channels gets my blood flowing... I'm going to try a IR add-on setup first. Already purchased one of the add on 'kits'. The issue I ran into is a weak IR illuminator. Waiting on the brighter illuminator to ship. Will post some pics when it gets set up. Trust me, if I could go full $3-$7k thermal I would. Bad timing with kids going to college, etc. An Ingo coyote thread a couple years back got me thinking about a IR add on kit. It was some pics Mom posted of her husbands setup. A IR camera on a scope with the small lcd screen with an illuminator. I know they are 'low dollar' setups and will probably fall apart. This is my night hunting proof-of-concept.

This is one our fav yt channel for hogs. Carpe Sus. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCG6la_HDvAobPBTDtj5B-lQ

Have a nice holiday!

:ingo:

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    If you can hold off and save $ till October 15 (coyote opening) and get a hogster, you'll be glad you did.

I went the nv route and it was a waste of $. My hunting buddy and I both had nv. After switching I was the only one shooting coyote's. The last few times we went out he just watched.

See far more targets than nv.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sightmark Wraith. https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/n...0005136.8874061107635498046875&v=f24485ae434a

Ir light. https://www.sniperhawglights.com/66LRX-Gun-hunters-pkg-Red-Green-White-or-IR-p/66lrxrl.htm

Under $1,000.

If your budget is $1,000-1,500, I'd recommend holding out until you save another $1,000 and get the Bering Optics Hogster-r. https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/t...0244042.3375198841094970703125&v=f24485ae434a

I've hunted with digital night vision. I've hunted with white phosphor night vision. Neither compares to thermal.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    BTW, if you're seriously planning on building around an AR-10, then don't waste your money on night vision. Night vision is good for 125-150 yards, 200 yards max. An AR-10 platform is overkill for that range. Thermal doesn't have those limitations, which is why my new coyote gun is a 6mm creedmoor.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    i feel like if i was going to spend $2500 on a scope i would go thermal. Ive always been under the impression that NV was usually less than thermal. Im willing to spend $1000-$1500

You kind of have it backwards. Thermal is getting cheap.

Night vision is old analog technology, and the manufacturing, and defect rate is why it's extremely expensive.

Rule of thumb for the night vision game, unless you have $5k in your pocket and a strong desire to spend it, then walk away. Stick with tubes from L3. When you see heavily discounted units it's because they have a high rate of defects in the tube.
    As for digital night vision... Just mount any point and click camera to your rifle, it's the same exact thing, except without an IR filter.

The main issue with thermal is that it has a refresh rate. If you're familiar with monitor refresh rates when playing games, you'll know that until you're above 100hz, any movement is a bit stuttery.
    The expensive thermal units are the ones with a useful refresh rate, which makes shooting at a moving target infinitely easier. If you're shooting at a static target from a rest, you can get away with the lower refresh rate units.

BTW, if you're seriously planning on building around an AR-10, then don't waste your money on night vision. Night vision is good for 125-150 yards, 200 yards max. An AR-10 platform is overkill for that range. Thermal doesn't have those limitations, which is why my new coyote gun is a 6mm creedmoor.

That entirely depends on the quality of your tubes, and the quality of your illuminator.
    Be ready to drop another $2500 for an illuminator that will be good for extended ranges.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom