• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Just wondering why people automatically assume that you know a lot about firearms and seem kind of put out when they really don’t get expert advice as to which gun is best for them. Really is it that unusual just to know your own side arm? Seems like some people do not want to hear that you can not make a decision for them other to offer sound advice which includes learning safe handling and safety before doing anything!

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Just wondering why people automatically assume that you know a lot about firearms and seem kind of put out when they really don’t get expert advice as to which gun is best for them. Really is it that unusual just to know your own side arm? Seems like some people do not want to hear that you can not make a decision for them other to offer sound advice which includes learning safe handling and safety before doing anything!

I think the people that are asking for advice do not recognize that the same firearm may be loved by one "expert" and hated by another. For instance I don't mind the recoil from a 44 mag handgun, or 30-06 rifle while some people won't fire those guns. I am 6' 3" so have a long reach - most long guns that fit me would be a very poor fit for many people!

Those asking for information don't understand, as they normally don't have ANY experience shooting a variety of firearms. A couple of examples of firearms I dislike - that many really love are those with a fine tuned very low force trigger. My fingers are very insensitive as I worked a second job as a contractor installing furnaces, air etc. and worked a lot of tin during my life. I can't shoot a fine rifle if it has what I consider a hair trigger. On the other hand my fingers are quite strong so most triggers work fine for me. I also can't hit crap with any double barrel shotgun but hold my own with single, pump or semi-auto guns.

As you stated the only advice you can honestly give is what is safe, reliable and available in their budget. Then advise them to try out various calibers and firearms to find ones that suit them. The other advice you can give is what caliber or style of firearm that is suited to the persons requirements. IE: Self defense, Home protection, plinking, long range target shooting, hunting small game, large game etc.

My son and I collect firearms and have a fair variety and don't mind letting people shoot them (under our watchful eye) to see what in general they like.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Handgun wise I usually tell them to go to several gun shops and handle the different handguns and find one that fits their hand and feels comfortable. Then find one you can shoot to see if they like it before buying. I also tell them it takes a lot of good practice to get proficient with the handgun they do choose. I also advise them to take a course if they never have owned a handgun, or go shooting with someone they know who is an avid shooter to help teach them. Read, and watch safety instructions before handling the firearms is good advice as well. I've told my family and friends to shoot at least 50rds of ammunition a month with their edc to stay in practice.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just had a customer ask the other day how many firearms I had.
    When I told him, he asked why anyone would need more than one gun.

I explained that I use a shovel to dig a hole and a hammer to drive nails.
    Different guns for different jobs...

Now he understands.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Just had a customer ask the other day how many firearms I had.
    When I told him, he asked why anyone would need more than one gun.

I explained that I use a shovel to dig a hole and a hammer to drive nails.
    Different guns for different jobs...

Now he understands.

"Because I can."
    Wouldn't say that to a customer, but that is how I'd respond to the average hippie who might ask me.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    Experience in the fine art of training others in any number of specialized endeavors is a benefit. The big ? mark and how to proceed has now given you a curiosity. Educate yourself Grasshopper and the way will become clear.

Top Bottom