• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I just purchased and installed a Sylvan Arms folding buffer tube adapter on an AR pistol. So far, I'm impressed with everything from the ease of installation to its reliability.

Does anyone here use one of these or one of the other options out there? I'm curious to see what your experiences have been.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    The standard for these seems to be the Law Tactical folding stock adapter. I have one and it is pretty much a kitschy add on. Gun cannot be fired from the folded position. Adds almost 11oz of weight to the gun.

IMHO, if you want or require a side folding AR, buy a Sig MCX

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    The standard for these seems to be the Law Tactical folding stock adapter. I have one and it is pretty much a kitschy add on. Gun cannot be fired from the folded position. Adds almost 11oz of weight to the gun.

IMHO, if you want or require a side folding AR, buy a Sig MCX

Thank you ACC!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I cannot speak to the brand noted in the OP. The Law Tactical folding adapter advises not to shoot when folded. It you do, you have one shot only and risk tearing up a (replaceable) rubber plug in the unit.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I went with the Sylvan because I couldn't find the Law Tactical in stock anywhere. The Law Tactical is made of steel while the Sylvan Arms is made of the same alloy as an AR lower receiver making it a good bit lighter.

Neither adapter will allow the gun to fire more than once while in the folded position, however this wasn't a concern for me. I wanted to be able to discreetly keep an AR in a smaller backpack or tennis racquet case in a vehicle. This seems to serve that purpose well.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have a LAW on one of my ARs and like it a lot. It makes transportation in smaller bags a lot easier without having to take the rifle down. Just snap the stock back into place and you're good to go. I'd have them on all my ARs, but they ain't cheap.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Dead Foot Arms makes a folding stock adapter and modified Bolt to fire while folded. The kit runs $465 for everything or $325 if you send in your M16 style bolt for modification. Looks interesting but is a bit pricey.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    I looked at the Dead Foot also but the price was way too high for me. The ability to fire the weapon while the gun is folded is not worth the added cost.

RMG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    West Side
    I got an email from CBC earlier today and the Sylvan Arms folding adapter is on sale + coupon code for those interested.

https://www.cbcindustries.com/products/ar15-folding-stock-adapter-gen2/

Use coupon code ALL9 and get's you another 15% off. Also, free shipping is active as well.

Quick "head's up" on that, does list it as Gen 2. Some had issues with Gen 2, noting hinge was interfering with charging handle operation. Issue solved with Gen 3.

I picked up a Gen 3 within the last two weeks, direct from Sylvan, on a popular buy/sell website for $149.99 - free S/H. It is listed a bit higher now, keep checking, may come back down.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I just did a search for the Sylvan folding adapter before posing a new thread and found thus thread.

I have two LT adapters that I paid $200 each.
    I’m looking to add another or possibly two to my pistol collection.

I have watch a few videos on the Sylvan and it gets decent reviews but the negative comments were about the unshielded button to fold it and how loose it was when folded. If you picked it up by the barrel to put it in a bag it wanted to unfold making it difficult to store. I was curious if it was just an adjustment to tighten the folding mechanism or no adjustments available.

Did anybody that has one find it problematic with the unlocking button being unshielded?

Any durability issues?

It’s a c note cheaper than the LT unit but I don’t want to buy twice / cry twice.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I'm curious if loose when folded means the stock flops around its intended axis of rotation. Law does this too, but it's not a big issue since it's being stowed in some kind of a pack or bag, the only real value of the folder as noted above, or locked in the functional position as soon as deployed or slung. Or does it have movement in the hinge in directions it should not? From a review on Sylvan's site it sounds like just the folder swinging on the intended axis, which I see as a non-issue in practical use even if it swings more freely than a Law.

No experience with the Sylvan so this is not directly responsive, except to the buying and crying aspect. Other than if you enjoy trying new things and sharing the results with others which is always a great value of boards like this, assuming you have a less important "range rifle" and you have the time to spend being a guinea pig then I cannot possibly see not going with a Law Gen 3. Why? Aluminum.

The best alloys are nowhere near the strength you can get with steel selection + heat treat, and maximum aluminum hardness via anodizing is a thin layer only helpful for certain wear modes. The hinge and especially the latch on these folders are subject to multiple stresses. With weight being a well-noted issue I cannot believe Law has not prototyped in aluminum and rejected it based on the design durability knowledge they gained from extensive field use of previous generations. You have to go to titanium to shed weight and retain the strength of steel, but it would have more wear problems at the latch. No association here with Law. In fact I sat on the sidelines with their earlier generations because looking at the design I knew they would have issues. I did not go near the Law until I saw how much their folder was improved with the Gen 3, and I think they got it right.

Tried to provide enough reasoning that anyone can take it or leave it as they see fit. With most firearms I'm just not much interested in things that are not going to hold up over time under use. There are some products so crazy expensive I will not buy into them, but I am willing to pay a little more for not just superior materials or manufacturing, but the R&D costs that went into a solid design wrung out with testing and real world feedback. That said I do agree some competition is a good thing and will be interested to hear how the aluminum holds up for people; and I think Law would sell a lot more units and invite less competition if they'd brought their price down to $199.

dekeshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Bunker Hill
    My Sylvan has detents that provide some resistance to the brace flopping around when in the closed position. I think there may be a way to tighten the hinge a little, but mine doesn't move enough for it to be an issue for me.

The unshielded release button has been a non issue for me. In several range trips, it has not once been accidentally released.

I have yet to compare the Sylvan and the Law Tactical side by side, but I can honestly say the Sylvan has been everything I'd hoped it would be for me.

Top Bottom