• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Looking at a father son project, from my understanding AR’s are kind of like Legos? Is this something the average person could undertake? Any specialized tools needed? Would Palmetto or Brownell’s be a good choice?

Thanks

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Go with an aero precision set for your first. Ar10s are not as easy as ar15s because they aren't milspec. There are differences and compatibility issues with ar10 parts.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    There are two (major) .308 AR "patterns".
    They are the Armalite pattern, and the DPMS pattern.

The most prolific by far is the DPMS pattern. I believe it is also known as the SR25, or something similar.

There is nothing inherently more difficult in the "AR10" assembly than there is with the "AR15" assembly.
    Just make sure ALL of your parts are the same "pattern", and all will be well.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My first build was a PA-10 kit from PSA. That got me hooked and I went a little crazy for a minute. Next thing I knew I had 7 rifles (6 in 5.56 and one in .308). :): The .308 is still my favorite.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Go sign up for Aero Precision emails they give you 10% off everything one time purchase. I just built me one used all Aero Precision parts except bcg and charging handle

Last edited:

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    I built an Aero M5E1. I went with all Aero parts which made it extremely easy to put together. The barrel nut on the M5E1 upper uses a standard AR-15 barrel wrench, and there are NO ROLL PINS!! Every month they come out with a new camo pattern, but they sell out of those pretty quick.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Just built one myself. Like they said, it's not hard. You will want an AR wrench and make sure to buy barrel and muzzle shims. Other than that, it's about as straight forward as it gets. I also recommend buying some snap caps to test cycling before hand. I've built a few other firearms that were much more involved than the AR that were never meant to be assembled in pieces. The AR is straight forward. Like was mentioned, just pay attention that the parts mention DPMS. Most will. For your buffer tube, make sure it's mil-spec.

What I like best about building a rifle (or pistol) is that you really get the chance to understand what's happening in your firearm rather than it being a magic box. So when things fail you will have an easier time identifying the issue.

Top Bottom