• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I am looking for someplace close to east Indy/Greenfield area that carries Ballistol. I know I can get it online but I like going to brick and mortar stores. Has anyone seen any? Also has anyone used it enough to have formed an opinion on it?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The smell can be a good indicator. If you don't readily smell the smell, time to orl again. ;)

I like Ballistol for surface lubing, although it's fine for internal lubing also. I keep a jars with a Ballistol shop towel in my shop and night stand. Hit the Glock slide, holster interiors and carry blades as needed. It's especially important in the sweating time of year.

My carry blades are fixed blade skinners. They might be cutting food anytime. Ballistol is nontoxic.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I get mine off Amazon. Couldn't find anybody selling it close to me. And yes the smell is incredible but it is a great product. I have found if you shake it up before use the smell seems to be not as bad but still there.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I usually pick up some at the 1500's. Small spray can for the range bag, large spray can for the bench. I also have the large can for the "squirt-type" nozzles. It works great, and works on everything - metal, wood, leather - it's all good! Smell? I guess it's like Hoppe's - it's alove/hate relationshiip. And Non-toxic to boot.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I order it from Amazon. Use it for cleaning everything but the bores, great stuff.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Why not in the bore ? I give the bore(s) a good swabbing afterwards and have had no issues.

I do the same.

"Ballistol dissolves traces of copper, zinc, lead and tombac and can, therefore, be used to clean brass, bronze and silver. Read more about Ballistol for metal care.

Ballistol is an excellent smokeless powder cleaning solvent. It will “melt” carbon deposits in the barrel and chamber."

I have used this on my pistol barrels, slides, and rifle barrels it does remove carbon quickly.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I should probably use it more. That smell... It's kind of a cross between swiss cheese that has set out too long, and dirty feet. I can handle it, but given the choice of smells, I'd choose Hoppes No. 9. :):

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I get mine from an Amish barn builder between Hagerstown and New Castle while delivering supplies to him. He's got a display rack in his office with assorted sizes. PM me if you need more info, hell, you may even buy a barn or shed from him!

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I usually pick up some at the 1500's. Small spray can for the range bag, large spray can for the bench. I also have the large can for the "squirt-type" nozzles. It works great, and works on everything - metal, wood, leather - it's all good! Smell? I guess it's like Hoppe's - it's alove/hate relationshiip. And Non-toxic to boot.

Interstingly I barely smell Hoppes. I can smell it but it's just barely there. Ballistol on the other hand is like a punch in the face, hard to miss.

I should probably use it more. That smell... It's kind of a cross between swiss cheese that has set out too long, and dirty feet. I can handle it, but given the choice of smells, I'd choose Hoppes No. 9. :):

but with a heavy dose of peppermint. Unlike how that sounds or a punch in the face it's not all that bad, just very strong.

Got mine from amazon. I've never seen it sold in person.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Interstingly I barely smell Hoppes. I can smell it but it's just barely there. Ballistol on the other hand is like a punch in the face, hard to miss.

but with a heavy dose of peppermint. Unlike how that sounds or a punch in the face it's not all that bad, just very strong.

Got mine from amazon. I've never seen it sold in person.

I don't smell peppermint. Anise (licorice) maybe, or anus, but it definitely stinks.

Top Bottom