• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There is a reported 6 million guns sold in the last 90 days and it’s also reported that 40% of those are new gun owners. That’s over 26,000 new gun owners each day. Almost 11,000 of those are women new to gun ownership.

What can we, who’ve owned guns for years and have some experience with them do to help those gun owners embrace the tool they have? And embrace it in a safe way. I hear lots of horror stories about new gun owners at the range and online. We have an opportunity to turn some of these new folks into enthusiasts. Some will dump the gun as soon as their personal danger is passed but what can we do to minimize that and make as many of them as possible long term shooters?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've been overwhelmed in the last week by new owners that want training or people that want to buy but want to get basic knowledge before buying. It's a good sign but I imagine a very small percentage of the new owners. Encourage newbies to get some basic knowledge and skills or if it's someone you know and are comfortable with, offer some basic instruction. Getting them comfortable with safely handling a firearm and getting them on the range and confident in their skills will go a long way toward making them responsible members of the community.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I've been overwhelmed in the last week by new owners that want training or people that want to buy but want to get basic knowledge before buying. It's a good sign but I imagine a very small percentage of the new owners. Encourage newbies to get some basic knowledge and skills or if it's someone you know and are comfortable with, offer some basic instruction. Getting them comfortable with safely handling a firearm and getting them on the range and confident in their skills will go a long way toward making them responsible members of the community.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]
    Hopefully there are lots of other instructors saying the same thing.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    It would be nice if ranges that also had stores, like Point Blank and others, would offer a free gun handling class with every purchase. Especially when the buyers seem like they're complete newbies. Even a 15 - 30 minute here's how you handle the gun, break it down for cleaning and familiarization on the range kind of thing would make a big difference I'd think. Don't they normally throw in a free range pass with a purchase? Seems like adding some basic instruction along with that might be a nice addition... :dunno:

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Start by teaching them to ALWAYS keep guns pointed in a SAFE direction without any caveats about whether or not they think, know or pretend they’re loaded. Treat guns like guns, whether they’re loaded or not.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    There is a reported 6 million guns sold in the last 90 days and it’s also reported that 40% of those are new gun owners. That’s over 26,000 new gun owners each day. Almost 11,000 of those are women new to gun ownership.

What can we, who’ve owned guns for years and have some experience with them do to help those gun owners embrace the tool they have? And embrace it in a safe way. I hear lots of horror stories about new gun owners at the range and online. We have an opportunity to turn some of these new folks into enthusiasts. Some will dump the gun as soon as their personal danger is passed but what can we do to minimize that and make as many of them as possible long term shooters?

The distinction is not in the number of years one has owned a gun but rather in the level of education.

Many who have owned guns for years are completely unsafe, at home, at the range, what have you.

If you want to help, tell them that software is to hardware as 3 is to one.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Unfortunately, my overall impression of new gun owners this year has been that very, very few of them are in any way interested in training or instruction, at any price point or convenience up to and including "completely free and whenever you want".

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    As a NRA pistol instructor and RSO I’m willing to give instruction to new gun owners for free.

I commend you for that thought. You might want to put in your name at a local gun shop or two as a resource for basic safety/gun handling training.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It would be nice if ranges that also had stores, like Point Blank and others, would offer a free gun handling class with every purchase. Especially when the buyers seem like they're complete newbies. Even a 15 - 30 minute here's how you handle the gun, break it down for cleaning and familiarization on the range kind of thing would make a big difference I'd think. Don't they normally throw in a free range pass with a purchase? Seems like adding some basic instruction along with that might be a nice addition... :dunno:

Unfortunately, my overall impression of new gun owners this year has been that very, very few of them are in any way interested in training or instruction, at any price point or convenience up to and including "completely free and whenever you want".
    Great idea Tom but what Ark pointed out is unfortunately the attitude of most people. If you are certain you are already "highly qualified:rolleyes:" WHY would you bother with any sort of training. I started a thread a year or so ago asking trainers how many people with a LTCH that carry a gun regularly they felt had ever drawn from a holster one time and shot a piece of paper. My personal opinion was less than 20% but the majority of people that answered felt it was less than 5%.. We, as responsible gun owners have to find a way to convince people that just buying a gun and knowing how to load a magazine does not qualify a person carry a gun OR constitute training. I don't want to step on any toes (really I could care less), but women are little more likely to admit they need knowledge and training than men are. I wish I knew what the answer was but people often become offended if you suggest they need training. It's difficult for me to be gentle with someone when their behavior is potentially deadly.. We just have to be patient and hope for some converts.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Too many people think of a gun as a talisman to ward off evil spirits rather than a tool of last resort requiring proficiency and recurring training to maintain that proficiency. And yes, women are far more receptive to training and frankly, are more teachable in many cases. I’ve seen it firsthand at Revere’s Riders ladies only classes.

I am all for not requiring training (or licensing for that matter) for the Constitutionally-affirmed natural or God-given right of self defense. But I believe we need to be responsible in our exercise of that right in order to protect and preserve it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Great idea Tom but what Ark pointed out is unfortunately the attitude of most people. If you are certain you are already "highly qualified:rolleyes:" WHY would you bother with any sort of training. I started a thread a year or so ago asking trainers how many people with a LTCH that carry a gun regularly they felt had ever drawn from a holster one time and shot a piece of paper. My personal opinion was less than 20% but the majority of people that answered felt it was less than 5%.. We, as responsible gun owners have to find a way to convince people that just buying a gun and knowing how to load a magazine does not qualify a person carry a gun OR constitute training. I don't want to step on any toes (really I could care less), but women are little more likely to admit they need knowledge and training than men are. I wish I knew what the answer was but people often become offended if you suggest they need training. It's difficult for me to be gentle with someone when their behavior is potentially deadly.. We just have to be patient and hope for some converts.

Yeah, it's sad to see. I was hoping that if caught early, new gun owners might be more amenable to training then someone who already has bad habits ingrained.

Too many people think of a gun as a talisman to ward off evil spirits rather than a tool of last resort requiring proficiency and recurring training to maintain that proficiency. And yes, women are far more receptive to training and frankly, are more teachable in many cases. I’ve seen it firsthand at Revere’s Riders ladies only classes.

I am all for not requiring training (or licensing for that matter) for the Constitutionally-affirmed natural or God-given right of self defense. But I believe we need to be responsible in our exercise of that right in order to protect and preserve it.

Well said sir.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    . I've been overwhelmed in the last week by new owners that want training or people that want to buy but want to get basic knowledge before buying. It's a good sign but I imagine a very small percentage of the new owners. Encourage newbies to get some basic knowledge and skills or if it's someone you know and are comfortable with, offer some basic instruction. Getting them comfortable with safely handling a firearm and getting them on the range and confident in their skills will go a long way toward making them responsible members of the community.*

This. Very well said.

I will NOT be doing your shoulder surgery today,. Or piloting your flight to Atlanta. While learning proper gun safety is far easier than either of these tasks, it is every bit as important.

Last edited:

ratames

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2012
    A few years ago, I was wrapping up a session at Atterbury when a gentleman walks in beaming over a target he had just finished shooting at. He had just bought a new AK-47 to protect his home and took it shooting for the first time. When I looked at the target, he had holes all over the place and only about 3/4 of them could be considered "hits". He was so proud and commented "I don't think there is any part of him I didn't hit."

DN40SW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    Avon
    A few years ago, I was wrapping up a session at Atterbury when a gentleman walks in beaming over a target he had just finished shooting at. He had just bought a new AK-47 to protect his home and took it shooting for the first time. When I looked at the target, he had holes all over the place and only about 3/4 of them could be considered "hits". He was so proud and commented "I don't think there is any part of him I didn't hit."

That isn't how its done? Don't you just keep pulling the trigger and point in the general direction of what you want to shoot?

Top Bottom