When to introduce your kids to firearms?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I grew up in a police household and my dad was the firearms instructor for his PD. I starred shooting when I was pretty young, maybe 6. He was always VERY particular about Safety. I was hooked from the first time he took me. Fast forward and I have a 4 year old and 8 month old. Two boys and the older one wants to do everything I do. He’s allowed to come by me when I clean guns and understands that they are dangerous and only for daddy. Currently he has a pretty sweet nerf shooting range me and the wife build for him and he plays with it all the time. I’ve built some .22s for him and his brother (Atleast that’s what I told the wife LOL). Anyways I was wondering at what age all of you introduced your kids. I was planning on getting him a BB gun for his 5th birthday and playing it out from there. I understand Every kid is different and so are their maturity levels. Again, just wondering what you guys did. Was hoping to get him in a .22 around 6. Maybe earlier or later depending on how he does with the .22 in the safety department.

Thanks!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I am with you i don't think there is an age that fits all. Ive squadded with an 11yo that was a grand master in at least one class in steel challenge, now he is probably 13 and a multiple gm. My oldest niece is 16 and im not sure she ready for an airsoft rifle.

When my girls show a will, want, and an ability ive got them a neat little starter.

20190817151215.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I started my son on BB's at probably 4, .22 at 6; it was quality time together. If they show the maturity and are teachable as soon as they can hoist and aim it's time IMO.

Oh, yes...you can add my daughter to that timeline, she's a good shot.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I think it's important to separate training and shooting with discussion, conversation and exposure. If you wait until they're old enough to take to the range they've already had years of exposure from the media and schools that firearms are bad. Have the conversations as soon as they can understand language.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm about like the OP. My 5 (soon to be 6) YO is very interested in hunting/guns. I don't hide anything from him, but he knows not to touch a gun. He knows to get an adult if he ever sees one. He knows the general parts of a gun (muzzle, trigger), and what comes out.
    I'm likely going to buy him a BB gun for his 6th birthday and teach him to use it in our woods. I'm also going to take him on a squirrel hunt this summer/fall.

I've got two more coming after him. The three year old doesn't really have an interest yet.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I'm about like the OP. My 5 (soon to be 6) YO is very interested in hunting/guns. I don't hide anything from him, but he knows not to touch a gun. He knows to get an adult if he ever sees one. He knows the general parts of a gun (muzzle, trigger), and what comes out.

I'm likely going to buy him a BB gun for his 6th birthday and teach him to use it in our woods. I'm also going to take him on a squirrel hunt this summer/fall.

I've got two more coming after him. The three year old doesn't really have an interest yet.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    6 posts and know one has taken the opportunity to age-grief CM? I know it was before smokeless powder, but was it before metallic cartridges? :laugh:

Sorry CM, couldn’t help myself.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I started my children, grandchildren, now my great nephew just turned 5 at 5 years of age. I bought a Davy Cricket a long time ago its had many children trained on it.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I introduced my kids to guns and always allowed them to be around when I was cleaning guns. I also allowed them to be aroumd when I would prepare game for the freezer and made sure it was clear that those guns can be very dangerous if used wrong. I let them start shooting with a BB gun in the yard when they were 6 & 8. Before I allowed them to shoot they had to memorize the 4 rules and we talked to make sure they understood them. The boy developed some trouble and he had to sit on the bench for a while due to not being responsible. My daughter took to it like a duck to water. Due to her extra small size ahe was pretty much stuck with just shooting .22 for a few years before she stepped up to a little larger caliber and then has really gotten into shotguns and trap shooting.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I think it's important to separate training and shooting with discussion, conversation and exposure. If you wait until they're old enough to take to the range they've already had years of exposure from the media and schools that firearms are bad. Have the conversations as soon as they can understand language.

We talk about them all the time, and he is aware (for the most part) what purpose they serve, and how they need to be treated safely.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake

Also this, we have a deal with my son if he ever sees one of my knives or guns laying out ( i must have really F***ed up to have this happen) to come get me or mom. If he finds one out he gets to go to the store and pick out a toy. I left out a pocket knife out a few weeks back. When he came and told me about it, we took him to target later that day and he picked out a cool ironman toy. HA, my dad did this with me and i think it was a pretty good idea.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I introduced my kids to guns and always allowed them to be around when I was cleaning guns. I also allowed them to be aroumd when I would prepare game for the freezer and made sure it was clear that those guns can be very dangerous if used wrong. I let them start shooting with a BB gun in the yard when they were 6 & 8. Before I allowed them to shoot they had to memorize the 4 rules and we talked to make sure they understood them. The boy developed some trouble and he had to sit on the bench for a while due to not being responsible. My daughter took to it like a duck to water. Due to her extra small size ahe was pretty much stuck with just shooting .22 for a few years before she stepped up to a little larger caliber and then has really gotten into shotguns and trap shooting.

Very nice! Like i mentioned in the OP i have a couple fun .22s i built up with this in mind. I also scored a real nice beneli m2 in 20guage last year at a killer price with a ton of ammo. Still far away and probably need to get a .410 before the 20gauge, but im very excited for him to start shooting. If im lucky i usually go out about 3 times a month, and he is always disappointed that he cant come.

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Started my grandkids at 4 with a benched, bipod and red dot equipped 22 rifle. At 5 they started on 22 pistols, again with a red dot.
    And ice cream after the range.
    Gotta make it fun.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Can't remember exactly when I started my boys, probably around 6 or so. I did shoot at my middle son's rural home and let them shoot 22's at about 6 or 7 after several safety lessons.

Let the older boy shoot a (reduced charge) 50 cal muzzle loader at the same time. Then he wanted to shoot my SKS, so after a bit of discussion about the "kick" etc. I loaded it with one round and let him shoot. He liked it so I let him shoot a few more rounds.

Then the younger wanted to try - so again after discussion I let him. He did rub his shoulder after the shot and had enough but was excited to try it later! They are adults now and both are responsible gun owners. However my son there Dad does complain as they visit him and shoot up a LOT of his ammo....

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Started my grandkids at 4 with a benched, bipod and red dot equipped 22 rifle. At 5 they started on 22 pistols, again with a red dot.
    And ice cream after the range.
    Gotta make it fun.

Im sure having the red dot vs iron sights flattens the learning curve quite a bit for the younger kids. Ice cream isnt a bad idea either!

BillD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Greenwood
    Im sure having the red dot vs iron sights flattens the learning curve quite a bit for the younger kids. Ice cream isnt a bad idea either!

My guns have really good triggers. I'm trying to make it easy for them to get hits. They can learn how hard it is later but let's get them hooked first. That's why we bribe them with ice cream too! Make it a party

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    So far, I've started mine between four and 6, depending on their maturity. Among other things, they have to be able to tell you whether their hearing protection is working.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I start having my girls memorize/repeat safety rules from 3y up, even if you have to put some things in a more understandable phrase. A Crickett is standard 4y gift in my house. They are allowed to shoot with me at that age, walk with me UNARMED during squirrel hunts, and carry an UNLOADED firearm in the woods at 6y. At 8, carrying loaded with me on the hunt.

This of course is all pending the child's level of responsibility and ability to prove their safe actions. Each child learns at a different pace, but starting early with even fundamental rules and basic knowledge is never a bad thing. Patience and repetition are your ally.

It doesn't end there. Discussions about what to do if a firearm/ammunition is found by them, and even teaching trigger and muzzle discipline with toy cap guns.

Good luck!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Started 2 of my 3 girls out at around 5 with a single shot youth 22. Both expressed interest in shooting and we had already had multiple talks about guns and gun safety. My middle girl never seemed interested so we didn't push it. She has come with us a few times to shoot but isn't her deal. All of them have been around guns and I have always stressed safety and safe handling of firearms. It wasn't just my guns I was worried about as they went to friends houses to play. Both started with 22 rifles and graduated to 22 pistol. My youngest now 16 has been putting a lot of rounds thru her 9mm at the range and follows the rules better than some adults.

Top Bottom