• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    A long time friend found this free range (listed below) that he took his grandson on a Saturday am.
    It was a bring-your-own paper target only type of range (no steel), but it had multiple distances available.

It's about 1:25 minutes from me whether I take 65S, 74E to Route 9, or 74E to Route 3 to get there.
    Below North Vernon about 4 miles.

Looking forward to heading down Friday am & making a day of it.
    He's only got a .22 rifle.
    I'm taking:
    10/22 & RPR
    Both revolver: SW 17 & Dan Wesson 8"
    The 4 semi-autos with optics (2 scopes & 2 red dots)

It will be fun! :rockwoot:

Anyone been there?
    I was surprised it was free, certainly worth 6 gallons of gas with long-time friend for the day.

Crosley FWA
    Address: 2010 S, IN-3, North Vernon, IN 47265
    812-346-5596 Archery, rifle, handgun
    Open: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET, Wednesday – Sunday
    Closed: Monday & Tuesday, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day

Winter Hours for January & February
    Open: 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
    Closed: Monday – Thursday.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    It is a fairly decent little place with safety berms between distances. Only place in the area I know of, where you can shoot out to 200 yards without a membership. No range ossifer on duty, but do make sure you sign in at the kiosk when you arrive, as the Conservation officers do check occasionally for compliance with that.

It would pay to be double certain it is open before making the trip. It has a history of being intermittently closed due to funding issues, corona...?

As with all free public ranges...watch your back. Because it's free, it unfortunately does attract the yahoo element. When I shoot 200 yards there, I carry my rifle bolt with me if going downrange for any reason.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Sounds quite similar to the Winamac FWA range.It is free as well and from your description sounds like they are set up about the same with the same sign in requirements. Except the Winamac range has a full time range officer and their days are Friday thru Tuesday. Wednesday and Thursday closed for maintenance. It is my "Happy Place"

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I was going there weekly until the Covid lockout. There IS a full time range officer, but he's VERY friendly. I personally love the facility, but don't really like how busy it gets. Being the heathen that I am, I was able to have the whole place to myself on Sunday mornings in the late winter/early spring while all you sinners were at church.

It is VERY difficult to find. NO signage on the roads AT ALL. Do yourself a favor and stop by the gun shop in Vernon and ask for directions (it's REALLY close to the range) and buy a few boxes of ammo to support the store if you can.

If you bring a shotgun, be advised you can ONLY SHOOT SLUGS there. The real crux for me was that I wasn't allowed to shoot rifle off-hand at 200yds...so I had to find another place to go. Regardless, I think you'll really enjoy it there.

One more thing...make sure you sign one of the cards in the little hut when you walk onto the range and drop it into the box at the end of your range session...it's how the state and DNR keep track of usage and allocation of funds/resources.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Side note: if you are not one who is petrified to eat out in the Era of Corona, make sure you budget some time to grab a bite at Indiana Spike & Rail in downtown N. Vernon. Smaller place with side street parking and really topnotch gourmet burgers. You know, in case you shoot bad, the trip is not wasted.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the info, guys! :thumbsup:

I'm going with a friend who was just there last Saturday or a week ago Sat.
    I talked with a nice lady this am, who was a bigger talker than I am (rare). :laugh:
    I let her know that the sign posted about Crosley Fish & Wildlife Area states: open at 10 am, but their website says 9 am.
    She said she'd let "them" know to take the picture off their website.

We won't be stopping to eat anywhere.
    We just want to get their at 9 am and spend hours shooting. :ar15::shoot::draw:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    If you're coming into Crosley from the north, the bridge being out is not a problem. I've been going there for years, usually early on a week day. It sometimes gets pretty crowded on the weekend. Currently open 9AM - 5PM, closed Monday and Tuesday. Range officers have been very friendly but don't put up with any BS..........as it should be. It is paper targets only and you have to take your own. I really like the berms between each distance. You can, for example, safely walk down to the 200 yard target line while shooting continues at 100. The only drawback is the limited shooting positions at each distance.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you're coming into Crosley from the north, the bridge being out is not a problem. I've been going there for years, usually early on a week day. It sometimes gets pretty crowded on the weekend. Currently open 9AM - 5PM, closed Monday and Tuesday. Range officers have been very friendly but don't put up with any BS..........as it should be. It is paper targets only and you have to take your own. I really like the berms between each distance. You can, for example, safely walk down to the 200 yard target line while shooting continues at 100. The only drawback is the limited shooting positions at each distance.

My friend just called to make sure everything is set.
    Were taking his truck since the 1st time he went last Sat. with the grandson was in his 2015 supercharged 'Vette that he is so proud of, found that the last 1/2 - 1 mile was gravel & he can't bear the thought of that again. :lmfao:

He had stopped at the gun shop (as recommended) last Saturday to get final directions, so we'll be fine this time.
    He asked about restrooms, and I told him they should have an outhouse, but be sure to bring a bucket with him in the truck just in case. :laugh:
    He said the range officer was really a great guy.

We are both looking forward to spending the time together shooting.
    We did a little shooting a couple of months ago in the basement of someone's house that had a range.
    This will be so much better. :ingo:
    I'm only taking .22LR rifles & revolvers & pistols w/scopes.
    I bought some great binoculars from a member here: Nikon 10x50, so they'll get a great workout (been using them for 30' - 45' indoors). :dunno:

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    @doddg.....

with 22's @ 100y or less those nikon 10x50 are fine.....

but @ 200y you'll wish you had a spoting scope & excellent tripod.

bullet holes of any size ecept maybe 50 cal. are very hard to see....

BTW that DW 8" with full lug looks like one I sold just few yrs ago with box & tool.....

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    @doddg.....
    with 22's @ 100y or less those nikon 10x50 are fine.....
    but @ 200y you'll wish you had a spoting scope & excellent tripod.
    bullet holes of any size ecept maybe 50 cal. are very hard to see....
    BTW that DW 8" with full lug looks like one I sold just few yrs ago with box & tool.....

Most my shooting with rifles has been indoors at only 25 yds.
    I did have a chance to ring some steel at 50 yds. last time I was out at MCF&G with a member getting some rifle/scope tips.

Shooting at 50 yds tomorrow will be a treat.
    If I have a chance to shoot 100 yds. I'll attempt it.
    If I ever get around to getting a membership at MCF&G on the West side of Indy, I might have a chance of some regular 100 yds. shooting.
    I can't imagine shooting any further.

I'd actually have to break down & buy some expensive accurate ammo.
    I fact, I just remembered a friend gave me a box of some good ammo: I'll have to use it tomorrow.
    Plus, I have a secret stash of a few boxes of some good stuff somewhere, I might get out.

The Dan Wesson was bought from a member here & he ordered it online from somewhere, so it's not the same one.
    He found he didn't like that long of a barrel is why I was fortunate to get it.
    It didn't come with a box but he did order some tools for it.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    @doddg

yep. DW 8" barrel was fun & had it for approx. 30 yrs was fun, accurate. Just never got it out so sold it. now don't even have 22 handgun anymore.
    all revolvers, Glocks & springfield xds 9mm.

@100 yds. 22 rifles do very well.
    wind control is great!

Crosley has wonderful high berms between 100, 200, 50 then 25 & 7& 1/2 are available.

I shot there mostly with center-fire rifles @ 100 & 200. quite a long walk to post targets @200!

last time I shot SKS @ 100 & 200
    with open sights easily scored well @ 200 yds using 300 yd sight notch.

used Winchester model 310 single-shot .22 with old bushnell 4x scope & federal hi-power hp.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    My father in law, old Dave Hall, never asked me for anything, except to do my best by his daughter. So I did. Twice, though, he mentioned that he really would like to find a Henry in .22 wmr. So I found him one, and gave it to my wife to give to him for father's day. Later that summer we took it to Crosley, and he told me some of the history of the place. You haven't lived until you've watched an 85 year old man giggle over a rifle. One of my best memories.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back from Crosley.
    Was there from 9:30 am to 3:30 pm.
    Even though he was there last Sat. we did get lost: it isn't marked well.
    If I ever go by myself I'm going to stop and ask.
    The GPS doesn't take you to the range but the Park. :wallbash:

Got the 30 yd. booth: too long for revolver & too short for rifles. :dunno:
    Started out with rifles (RPR & 10/22, and he had his old Marlin with a cheap cheap scope).
    We dialed in for that distance since they were dialed in for 25 yds. for the indoor range.

Both the pistols & rifles were shooting high before dialing them in.
    Would have posted pics of some good targets, but there are guys here doing at 50 or 100 yds. what I'm doing at 30.
    When I would draw my "+" I could get "inside the circle of the "+"

I spent time with the semi-auto pistols: SW 41 & Beretta 87T & Mark 3.
    But at 30 yds. nothing worth posting.
    I only dialed in the Beretta 87T since they were all shooting high.
    I used CCi Blazer for everything except the 41 & 87 which took CCI SV.

After we both had our fun with the rifles we went to the revolvers (SW 17 & Dan Wesson 8").
    We spent alot of time with them: S/A & D/A, even free hand (which was hilarious at 30 yrs. and had a blast: just trying to hit the target at all. :dunno:
    The Dan Wesson is the clear more accurate gun than the SW 17, especially in D/A mode, which the DW has the sweeeeetest trigger.
    Our groups were nothing impressive by a long shot, but we'd get 1-3 rounds (out of 6 shots) inside our 3-4" squared/circle/triangle targets.
    We even did some free hand, but at 30 yds. we'd be lucky to get 1 shot inside our parameters.
    I had the "edge" since I've practiced D/A alot, b/c I think revolvers should be shot D/A, just for the sheer fun of it.

I just really noticed today that the DW had a "ridge" on top of the barrel, which I think a red dot or scope could mount to.
    I'm going to look into that since that would enhance my fun of shooting it better: the application of a scope or red dot.
    I good day, but I'm wiped out from the heat & effort. :fogey:

I only went through about 3-400 rounds.
    We used the binoculars to tell the other where their rounds were hitting, which held the round count down.
    I gave my friend a box of some M-22 type of .22LR ammo to use in his Marlin to pay for the gas which & we used it in the revolvers also.
    I would try to cheat & use the CCI Blazers when he wasn't looking to give myself an edge in accuracy. :lmfao:

Last edited:

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    If I have the time this coming week, I will GPS track the route from North Vernon. I live close, and have been to this range too many times to recall. Great place. Best times are weekdays as early as possible. After noon it fills quickly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Man! That's a good day!

And, I forgot to mention I had him shoot my "new" Beretta 87 Target, since it had a scope on it (red dots on a couple others not working so well), but b/c of the distance, nothing to write home about. :dunno:
    He knew me back in the late 80s when we used to go to Camp Atterbury (free) to shoot various items we'd pick up at Goodwill :laugh:), and he can't believe I have $856 invested in the Beretta 87T.
    Of course, he was driving a Corvette that he had 1/4 the money in as compared to the 2015 Supercharged one that he has now & I was buying .38 special J frames for $50.

If I have the time this coming week, I will GPS track the route from North Vernon. I live close, and have been to this range too many times to recall. Great place. Best times are weekdays as early as possible. After noon it fills quickly.

For those who want to know the secret route to the hidden Crosley range: valuable information for the uninitiated. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom