• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Has anyone done any research on their own or read any good articles on this subject?

Doing an informal comparison between a 125 grain subsonic .300 B.O. @ 1000 fps versus a 124 grain 9mm +P at 1300 fps, both out of 10.5 inch AR pistols.

I know that the B.O. was designed as an "upgrade", so to speak, over a subsonic/suppressed 9mm sub gun for longer range/better down range ballistics.

But what if you were not talking about running either of them suppressed? How much would the increased muzzle blast of the .300 weigh in on the equation, then?

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    300 isn't sub until you get into 200 grain range. Pretty much a 45acp at that point. I played with it some and wasn't impressed. Poor ballistics, added expense, and a time burglar to load for.

I'll take a 9 mil any day especially out of a 10" pipe.

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    125gr SST over 20gr Lil Gun was my preferred load when I had a 300 BLK. Velocity was approaching 2400 fps out of my Ruger American Ranch. I guess you could load it down using Trail Boss or a similar powder, but you would need to use a cast lead or some sort of bullet specifically designed to expand at those velocities.

If the point of the experiment is to compare it to a 124gr 9mm, I think you would really be handicapping the 300 BLK by running a 125gr bullet at that speed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom