• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I use florescent sight paint on my front sight (red) & sometimes on the rear sights (white).
    The directions say that it can be removed using a solvent.
    I had painted the rear sights on a GSG 1911-22 some 13 months ago.
    I have decided I didn't want it there & I wanted the plain metal to contrast with the front red optic for contrast.

However, when I went to Wanamaker Feed & Seed (like an old fashioned hardware store) to get some Acetone as my solvent and the owner there warned me it could harm the finish of the metal so I didn't get any.
    The finish had a Cerakote application on it so I was afraid to try it.
    Any suggestions?
    Should I use vinegar, alcohol, nail polish remover or just soap & water with a brass brush?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use florescent sight paint on my front sight (red) & sometimes on the rear sights (white).
    I have decided I didn't want it there & I wanted the plain metal to contrast with the front red optic for contrast.

However, when I went to Wanamaker Feed & Seed (like an old fashioned hardware store) to get some Acetone as my solvent and the owner there warned me it could harm the finish of the metal so I didn't get any.
    Any suggestions?
    Should I use vinegar, alcohol, nail polish remover or just soap & water with a brass brush?

Did you try some Hoppes #9?

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    You might try Goof Off, but I'm not sure what chemicals are in it. I'm thinking it's petroleum based.

I believe it has a major component of naphtha (lighter fluid). Which works well on adhesive residues.

The Google world claims acetone will not harm Cerakote. Caution! The sights might not have a Cerakote finish though.

I would try using Q-tips. Dip one in Acetone and hold it in contact with the paint. Flip it over in about 30 seconds (because Acetone evaporates quickly) and repeat with the other end.

On the second end of the Q-tip I would finish by applying pressure and a twisting or wiping motion. Check the Q-tip to see if any paint was removed.
    Repeat as often as necessary to complete the job. Use a new Q-tip every time to keep from contaminating your Acetone.

You can try high-grade (91%) Isopropyl alcohol as a safer test run, but IPA usually has little effect on most paints.

Be sure to re-oil whatever area you use a solvent around.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    You might try Goof Off, but I'm not sure what chemicals are in it. I'm thinking it's petroleum based.

I saw Goof Off on the shelf there & wondered about that, but didn't know whether it would be "gentle" enough.

I believe it has a major component of naphtha (lighter fluid). Which works well on adhesive residues.
    The Google world claims acetone will not harm Cerakote. Caution! The sights might not have a Cerakote finish though.

The finish matches exactly, so I imagine it has the Cerakote.

I would try using Q-tips. Dip one in Acetone and hold it in contact with the paint. Flip it over in about 30 seconds (because Acetone evaporates quickly) and repeat with the other end.
    On the second end of the Q-tip I would finish by applying pressure and a twisting or wiping motion. Check the Q-tip to see if any paint was removed.
    Repeat as often as necessary to complete the job. Use a new Q-tip every time to keep from contaminating your Acetone.

Of course: Q-tips! for application.
    Would be better for a trial than using the brass "toothbrush" that I bought to scrap the paint off after applying a solvent then checking the Q-tip to see if only white paint was coming off or was it lifting the finish off, whether it is Cerakote or not.

You can try high-grade (91%) Isopropyl alcohol as a safer test run, but IPA usually has little effect on most paints.
    Be sure to re-oil whatever area you use a solvent around.

Re-oil for sure.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for your input, guys! :thumbsup:
    Very helpful. :ingo:

I ended up just using the brass "toothbrush" on it, just testing it & it came off.
    I even did the back of the slide where the "brush" marks are that keep glare down.
    Probably shouldn't have, but I got carried away. :dunno:
    It did bring the finish with it also. :ugh:
    It's fine, just a little lighter than the regular finish.
    It looks more like just a reflection of the light.
    It was hard for me to get a pic w/o it seeming too light or dark a mix of the two, since I was too lazy to get out of my chair to get better lighting. :rolleyes:

1LoISBm.jpg
    ZD06B9J.jpg

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I had a Colt/Walther 1911-22 clone that I had put my white florescent paint on the rear sights, but decided I wanted to try green instead.
    Just experimenting, I used some 70% rubbing alcohol & then some hydrogen peroxide to loosen it up a bit before using my brass "toothbrush."
    Came out fine.
    Now to see if I get any better clarity at the range.

BRDN7Rj.jpg
    M9lLaY8.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Laquer (sp) thinner?

I read this:
    "Paint thinner can remove oil-based paint from brushes and other equipment but only while the paint it still wet.
    Acetone is often the only solvent that is strong enough to dissolve paint after it has dried.
    Paint thinners should not be used with latex paints, shellac or lacquers."

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Any suggestions?

Whats the brand of sight paint that you are using? Stuff I've tried flakes off rather quickly.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Whats the brand of sight paint that you are using? Stuff I've tried flakes off rather quickly.

I picked this up at a LGS where I used to shoot before the moved & don't have their gun range "yet."
    There very well could be better stuff out there (I've even heard of nail polish or going to the model hobby shop).
    The only critic I have is the applicator: either there is too little or too much on the it after time.
    Au4gyGl.jpg

Last edited:

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I’ve always used nail polish remover and goof off to remove paint. That sight paint you just posted pic of stays on better than nail polish and is a little harder to remover but non acetone nail polish remover does the trick.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I see you found a solution but it's always good to have some denatured alcohol around the house.

Denatured alcohol is a little stronger than some of the other alcohols, but still not too strong.

I use it to remove old latex paint around the house and for other cleaning purposes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve always used nail polish remover and goof off to remove paint.
    That sight paint you just posted pic of stays on better than nail polish and is a little harder to remover but non acetone nail polish remover does the trick.

I see you found a solution but it's always good to have some denatured alcohol around the house.
    Denatured alcohol is a little stronger than some of the other alcohols, but still not too strong.
    I use it to remove old latex paint around the house and for other cleaning purposes.

Good to know!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I happened to be over at ZRT in Noblesville yesterday & asked him about removing paint from a sight, and he said use acetone, it won't damage the Ceracote finish.
    Good to know.

Top Bottom