• ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    ...cleaning .22 suppressors. :xmad:. :noway:

Cleaning those things is awful! Now I know exactly how my dentist feels scraping plaque off my teeth.

I need to be more diligent about limiting it to 500 rounds between cleanings. Should have sprung for 22 cans with stainless steel baffles so I could have cleaned them in the sonic cleaner.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    I don't care about it anymore. I only clean them in the Ultrasonic cleaner when they get loud, maybe 3-4000 rounds.

Don't bother to make it spotless. It doesn't make any difference.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You should've seen my 100% aluminum suppressor a few years ago... It had to take a trip back to the mothership for TLC and some baffle replacement (too dirty).

Live and learn, right?

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    Why can't you use an ultrasonic cleaner? IIRC you can't use "the dip" with AL, but an ultrasonic cleaner in and of itself should be pretty harmless. Just wondering in case I do wind up getting a can down the line...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Why can't you use an ultrasonic cleaner? IIRC you can't use "the dip" with AL, but an ultrasonic cleaner in and of itself should be pretty harmless. Just wondering in case I do wind up getting a can down the line...

Supposedly the ultrasonic action doesn't play nice with aluminum. And I don't quite understand it from a metallurgical standpoint either. May have to do with the aluminum oxide layer formation.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    was there with you a few weeks ago. Gm22 after a few years and a few hundred rounds. Was so tight I needed a strap wrench and ratchet to get it off. Couldn't get it spotless, but it moves now.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Supposedly the ultrasonic action doesn't play nice with aluminum. And I don't quite understand it from a metallurgical standpoint either. May have to do with the aluminum oxide layer formation.

This is correct. Ultrasonic cleaners can damage aluminum over time. IIRC, one of the tests to see if an ultrasonic has a viable output is to dip a piece of aluminum foil in the solution for a few minutes...small pin holes begin to appear.
    Higher frequencies (above 40K Hz) must be used. Sweep frequencies that dip below the 40K threshold...probably not a good idea.
    I clean many metal parts in my ultrasonic...just not my aluminum parts. Just my $.47 ($.02 adjusted for inflation and taxes.), YMMV.

https://techblog.ctgclean.com/2013/12/ultrasonic-cleaning-time-enough-is-enough/ "[FONT=&amp]Excessive exposure to ultrasonic cavitation and implosion may cause part damage. Limiting ultrasonic cleaning times on materials including aluminum, brass and many other soft metals which are subject to cavitation damage is imperative.[/FONT]"

That said, there are some with higher frequencies that claim to be aluminum safe:
    https://www.kaijo-shibuya.com/can-u...cy creates small,crevices and dead-end holes.
    "Aluminum is a softer metal and surfaces can suffer pitting in ultrasonic cleaning systems."
    "For aluminum parts, higher frequencies can be used but the lower energy of the smaller cavitation bubbles will result in increased cleaning times."

As for "The Dip:"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0i9Kl1AiI (one of a ~hundred YT videos on the subject.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Worst part of having a rimfire can for sure. I try to clean after each trip to range but doesn’t always happen. Not trying to get spotless just knock off the big stuff. Going to try to soda blast soon and see what i think.

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I submerged mine in hoppes 9 for about a week before cleaning it and it doesn't seem to be too bad. I use a large prescription pill container from CVS to hold the fluid and suppressor.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    gonna have to give it a shot. Lately I’ve been shooting on weekends so have plenty of time to let it soak
    I submerged mine in hoppes 9 for about a week before cleaning it and it doesn't seem to be too bad. I use a large prescription pill container from CVS to hold the fluid and suppressor.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Some online searching states that Hoppe's #9 contains ammonia. Ammonia and aluminum do not play nice with one another.

I personally do not recommend putting an aluminum suppressor into ammonia - containing solvents.

DMTJAGER

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2020
    WHITING
    The DIP as it is referred to is a concoction of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar that will per multiple videos i saw on YouTube effectively dissolve lead from your gun barrel and parts.

BUT it results in a very toxic liquid waist and it is supposed to be harmful to almost all other gun metals besides AL or SST.

Was considering using it until i found out how supposedly toxic it is and harmful to non-ST/SST and AL guns and parts and took a pass.
    Watched in videos it worked and worked quite well but I felt not worth the health and equipment risks.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom