• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have used the classifieds to successfully sell a few things here and there. I have noticed that sometimes when I close the thread by editing as sold ( I think that is what we are supposed to do?) I will get a PM many months later on the listing? Not sure how and why this happens. Also, I noticed many items never going away or many bumps on the thread. It got me thinking about the gun show gypsies that carry their goods in and out of gun shows for years on end. Is this a pricing problem. Are they just kidding themselves that they want to sell?
    In sales I have always worked closely with the time it takes to turn something but that is just me I guess. I dont think I have had to ever bump something as my items sell with in a few hours. Time IS money.
    Are there any stats that show the success rate of these posters selling their stuff in comparison as to how long they let it run?.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I would pretty strongly posit that this forum does not generate a sample size large enough to formulate rigorous conclusions, even if such a stat DIS exist...which I doubt.

eBay, GunBroker, maybe Accurateshooter.. THEY would know.

But as to why people PM years later after the ad’s been long closed?

I reckon it’s because they can read, but can’t think before verbally ejaculating on you about what THEY NEED.

That being said, one must also recognize the web-wide lack of consideration of sellers, bu officially stating the items are sold, and/or closing the ad. That results in a culture of assumption that “it might still be available”....even years later?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I don’t think there is much doubt that we see a lot of overpriced guns on here. Let’s face it, if you haven’t sold a gun in several months in a pretty hot market, you are probably a little too high.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Editing as sold does not close the thread...……:facepalm:

Edit the OP sold. Then on top of the original ad find and select the administrative function. It drops down with close ad selected. Hit proceed. That will actually close the ad.

If everyone would actually follow the steps involved or at least ask our job here would be so much easier.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I don’t think there is much doubt that we see a lot of overpriced guns on here. Let’s face it, if you haven’t sold a gun in several months in a pretty hot market, you are probably a little too high.

I sometimes ask these members why they are standing firm on a price that I can beat on Buds or even my LGS if I look.

The answers are from...."Hey, its my gun and I will ask what I want for it"...…..(Ok dummy stop wasting server space) to.....Hey I paid that much for it and I refuse to loose money on a gun...…:lmfao: Seriously. Some folks just do not get it. If you bought it...….now its used. Just like a car. NIB on 50 rds fired is a favorite. Wise up man. Its not NIB any more.

Oh I could go on but hey, we already know.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Editing as sold does not close the thread...……:facepalm:

Edit the OP sold. Then on top of the original ad find and select the administrative function. It drops down with close ad selected. Hit proceed. That will actually close the ad.

If everyone would actually follow the steps involved or at least ask our job here would be so much easier.

yes I have been closing the thread by using the button at the Bottom of the OP. Is this different from your top method. ?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    yes I have been closing the thread by using the button at the Bottom of the OP. Is this different from your top method. ?

I regularly get inquiries on closed threads. Sometimes people close without selling I've bought from a closed thread before. Being a good asker is a good life skill.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

Maybe those people are only here for rhe classifieds and nothing else, so they don't bother to read the rules or comprehend what closed thread means.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Wait a minute. Are you nanny statists taking exception to my hi point .45 WITH the super cool rattle can graphics job? Man, 595.00 is GIVING that jewel away! I won't take one DIME less! You corn flabbin' rassle hassers best leave my ad alone! So WHAT if it's been running continuously since 2010?

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Wait a minute. Are you nanny statists taking exception to my hi point .45 WITH the super cool rattle can graphics job? Man, 595.00 is GIVING that jewel away! I won't take one DIME less! You corn flabbin' rassle hassers best leave my ad alone! So WHAT if it's been running continuously since 2010?

I got some belly button lint and grade A toe jam I'll trade ya. Will throw in some fingernail clippings if you drive to my end of the state.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Nobody wanted my Tourmaster Venture Air Motorcycle Riding Pants last year. I bet they will this year though? :n00b:

Happy to hear from these "lowballers" that some seem to whine a lot about... :dunno:

I've got a great deal on a boat for the right person also. Better give it a bath first before bumping that add though. Wash out any spiders and snakes... ;)

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I sometimes ask these members why they are standing firm on a price that I can beat on Buds or even my LGS if I look.

The answers are from...."Hey, its my gun and I will ask what I want for it"...…..(Ok dummy stop wasting server space) to.....Hey I paid that much for it and I refuse to loose money on a gun...…:lmfao: Seriously. Some folks just do not get it. If you bought it...….now its used. Just like a car. NIB on 50 rds fired is a favorite. Wise up man. Its not NIB any more.

Oh I could go on but hey, we already know.
    I recently sold a gun that I knew I had paid too much for, but I ate the difference. Only time I have ever overpaid. I was at the gun show with the (then) boyfriend. I liked it, but it was priced at least $100 over where it should have been. BF made the mistake of saying "Honey, let's go. You don't need another gun." Of course that meant I had to buy it no matter what. :rolleyes:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I recently sold a gun that I knew I had paid too much for, but I ate the difference. Only time I have ever overpaid. I was at the gun show with the (then) boyfriend. I liked it, but it was priced at least $100 over where it should have been. BF made the mistake of saying "Honey, let's go. You don't need another gun." Of course that meant I had to buy it no matter what. :rolleyes:

At least it's in a well cared for home.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Using INGO classifieds can be finicky, some things generally move better than others. The sweet spot for the classifieds tends to be up to around 500.00 after that INGO'ers get cheap pretty quickly. Common items that get priced right like Glocks and other auto's will usually sell okay but higher priced items or more unusual things may take awhile. If you want to sell something quickly you pretty much have to come out of the gate at bottom dollar to where somebody thinks it's too good to pass up. As someone up thread already said if you are bumping it for weeks it's probably too high and you're wasting your time, in fact if you don't get any interest here in a couple days you probably need to reevaluate it. If after a couple days it's likely anybody that's going to see it has seen it. If after a couple days here if something isn't selling i'll move it to Armslist even though I usually don't like that as much. There are a lot of savvy buyers here that are pretty in tune with values so if something's priced right they won't hesitate. For example that S&W 681 back in April that someone put up for 500.00, it was gone pretty fast because someone knew the value on those and that they are hard to find, that one was likely a 7-750.00 dollar gun on Gunbroker.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As far as contacting people after a thread is marked sold and/or closed... I'll generally offer to be "next" should a deal fall through. Deals fall through all the time.

Top Bottom