Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

User Info Menu

One more plus for a revolver. They require very little maintenance and still go pew, pew, pew and pew...
    I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ggreen View Post
    Honestly, what about a taurus tx22 or a glock 44 with some CCI stingers?

The tx22 has capacity, an easy trigger, and easy racking slide. Put an olight mini on it, maybe a brake to make it even more easily controlled. 17 rounds, reliable, easy to shoot.
    I was thinking along the same lines but in 22mag. Maybe this: https://www.keltecweapons.com/firearms/pistols/pmr30/

Im not sure how loud they would be inside.

User Info Menu

Stick to centerfire for a home defense weapon. Absolutely zero reason to go with a .22 or .22 magnum.
    Internet...Serious Business!

User Info Menu

My wife can't rack a slide so I got her a Beretta Tomcat. Hey, better than nothing.

User Info Menu

My wife can't rack a slide so I got her a Beretta Tomcat.  Hey, better than nothing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Route 45 View Post
    Stick to centerfire for a home defense weapon. Absolutely zero reason to go with a .22 or .22 magnum.
    Not true, at all. No way my grandma in her early 70s could shoot a centerfire with any ability to score hits. Muscle loss, bone density issues. 82 is a lot of wear and tear. 22 may be far superior than a wiley little double action depending on the shooters ability to wield it properly.

22 Kills people every year. It only took 1 round of 22lr for a close family to kill himself, in a less than ideal shot placement. In appropriate hands it can be an acceptable last resort.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein View Post
    For the Ft Wayne area people, what is the best gun store/range to take him to try out different handguns to see what he feels most comfortable with?
    Freedom Firearms is the only one with a range. ZX Guns is just about a mile down the road from them.

Other than that, Tomlinson's up in 'Busco.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

I saw some people mention it half way through the thread and it was my first thought when I read the first post, get him a good protection dog.
    "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?!?!"

User Info Menu

I'm agreeing with the revolver group and a good Colt 38 special like an old Officers Model has an easy DA pull. Very accurate as well. The Army Special and Police Positive come in 38 special and are relatively inexpensive on GB.
    Last edited by Leadeye; 06-22-2020 at 17:01.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Route 45 View Post
    Sounds like he will rarely shoot whatever he winds up with, and is not a "gun guy" in general. I would avoid a semiauto of any type, no matter how easy the slide is to rack. Lack of practice will equal being out of the fight if a stovepipe or FTF is experienced.

The best option in my opinion is the same thing I recommended to my 82 year old dad...a sturdy .357 magnum revolver with high visibility sights. My preference is the Ruger GP100, but nothing wrong with a S&W 686 or similar. I'd kinda like to have one of the 7 shot 686 Smiths one of these days, but not being a revolver guy myself, my gun $$ always go for something a little more high speed. Load a good .357 with whatever power level he can handle, and he will have a good defensive weapon. Even a slightly warm .38 wadcutter out of the 4" - 6" barrel of a revolver is plenty enough. Maybe even a little nostalgia for him, since he carried a wheelgun while serving our country.

If he's concerned about zombies, a Ruger PC carbine with 33 round Glock mags is a good option. Easy to handle as a 10/22, low recoil and can be outfitted with a nice red dot and light for easy target acquisition. Being a carbine, it's more likely to be reliable than a semiauto pistol, which may lose reliability depending on grip strength. In fact, I can't think of a better combo than a GP100 in the nightstand and a PC Carbine in the closet for a senior citizen concerned with personal safety.

If you go with a revolver, The Ruger GP100, as well as the SP101, come in .327 magnum, and you get an extra round in either format. In .327, you can get an 85 grain low-recoil round, or can run 32 H&R for even less recoil. An SP101, in particular, might make a manageable solution with 6 rounds of low-recoil .327, or the 32 H&R ammo, in a lighter weight package than the GP100. With the Hogue rubber grips, it's a dandy little revolver, without the blast and recoil of the 357. Look for the 4.2" barrel version to get the most out of whatever round you choose.

One other note. I like the Ruger PC carbine, but it's a heavy little sucker, for what it is. If the weight is not an issue, it would serve well also.

Last edited by mmpsteve; 06-22-2020 at 17:31.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast