Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Best home defense gun for my 82 year old father?

While talking to my dad today he told me that he wants me to help him pick out a gun for home defense. He has experience with firearms from being an avid shooter as a youngster and some experience while a pilot in the Navy, but he hasn't ever carried a gun for self-defense or had one in the house. With the current state of affairs in the US, he wants to buy a gun for home defense, but I don't believe he will carry it outside of the house. So, with that being said, what gun would you recommend for him to keep around the house? I think a handgun would be best for him because of the ease to move about the house with it. Any specific recommendations for handguns? He has shot my Glocks in the past, but it has been a few years since we have gone shooting together.

For the Ft Wayne area people, what is the best gun store/range to take him to try out different handguns to see what he feels most comfortable with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    You'e thinking in circles and you have yourself surrounded.

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

The Shield EZ 380 is a real winner. My dad who's in his 70's really likes it. Recoil is very manageable. It's a 7/8 size pistol so getting a full grip is easy. The slide is REALLY easy to rack. Mags are easy to load. There's even a rail for a light/laser.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

I still care....Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_N_Stein View Post
    While talking to my dad today he told me that he wants me to help him pick out a gun for home defense. He has experience with firearms from being an avid shooter as a youngster and some experience while a pilot in the Navy, but he hasn't ever carried a gun for self-defense or had one in the house. With the current state of affairs in the US, he wants to buy a gun for home defense, but I don't believe he will carry it outside of the house. So, with that being said, what gun would you recommend for him to keep around the house? I think a handgun would be best for him because of the ease to move about the house with it. Any specific recommendations for handguns? He has shot my Glocks in the past, but it has been a few years since we have gone shooting together.

For the Ft Wayne area people, what is the best gun store/range to take him to try out different handguns to see what he feels most comfortable with?
    Can he still manipulate the slide on a Glock...???
    AKA..Thor. Odin son. God of thunder.
    But you can call me John.....Force.

If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn’t

Forum Rules

Classified Rules

FAQ

http://ingunowners.com/forums/handgu...e-posting.html

User Info Menu

I would say keep it simple

Glock 19/17/34
    CZ P10 F/C
    S&W 357/38 revolver

I like dealing with Wrigley’s just north of Sams on Lima. Sportsman’s warehouse may have some options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

AR pistol with a brace.

11.5" or 10.5" with a red dot sight.

It's going to be shorter while shouldered than holding a pistol at arm's length.
    Throw a larger latch charging handle on it if he has difficulty with the standard latch. He can rack it off the edge of a table if necessary.

It's also going to be lightyears easier to aim and shoot with than trying to mess around with a pistol.
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

User Info Menu

Ar pistol is definitely the way. Much easier to use than a traditional pistol

Plinker

User Info Menu

Try taking him to a range that offers rentals and let him try a few out. Let him see what feels good in his hand and what he is cofortable shooting.
    oremus pro invicem

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtanker View Post
    The Shield EZ 380 is a real winner. My dad who's in his 70's really likes it. Recoil is very manageable. It's a 7/8 size pistol so getting a full grip is easy. The slide is REALLY easy to rack. Mags are easy to load. There's even a rail for a light/laser.
    That's a gun I mentioned to him. I will definitely have him check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    Can he still manipulate the slide on a Glock...???
    He's old, but he's still in good shape so I think so. We'll see when I take him to the range to try stuff out.

Quote Originally Posted by cjcycles View Post
    I would say keep it simple

Glock 19/17/34
    CZ P10 F/C
    S&W 357/38 revolver

I like dealing with Wrigley’s just north of Sams on Lima. Sportsman’s warehouse may have some options too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I was going to have him check out a couple revolvers since he is old school and carried one while flying.

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    AR pistol with a brace.

11.5" or 10.5" with a red dot sight.

It's going to be shorter while shouldered than holding a pistol at arm's length.
    Throw a larger latch charging handle on it if he has difficulty with the standard latch. He can rack it off the edge of a table if necessary.

It's also going to be lightyears easier to aim and shoot with than trying to mess around with a pistol.
    I'll recommend it, but I don't know that he wants to go with that platform. Thanks for all the replies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birds Away View Post
    You'e thinking in circles and you have yourself surrounded.

Marksman

User Info Menu

My wife has Lupus and has issues with working slides on almost every semi auto. She has zero issues with the S&W 380 EZ when she shot one. She became really fond of it. Si I 3rd ir 4th that make. And they are in 9mm whih is slightly peppier

Good Luck

Expert

User Info Menu

I went through this with my 80+ year old father a few years back. He thought he could still rack a slide and when I said show me, his body just couldnt do what his mind thought it could still do. He was not happy but I got him to roll over to an old S&W 38 and he could open, reload, close and fire it...
    Just remember hes 82 and most are not Jack Lolane at that age, try not to embarrass him and put him in a firearm that he can easily work if the time comes to need one.
    I kept reminding my dad that having a automatic as protection he could not protect mom with it. His last few years a revolver was in his night stand...
    Good luck with your dad....

"Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast