Need advice for defense pistol./revolver.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    A friend of mine ask me to help find a reliable 22lr pistol or revolver for her 83 year old mother who was asking for one for self defense. She wants a 22lr because she's very frail and can't handle much recoil or a handgun that will weigh to much. So something light weight user friendly and reliable in 22lr handgun.

I'm not sure what the market has in this line now days, your help would be greatly appreciated.

The other stipulation is it must be $300 or less before taxes.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I will share my recent experience. My 87-year-old mom expressed interest in getting a gun, and we had about the same criteria (.22 and in the $300-350-ish range). I got a Charter Arms Pathfinder, and I found that she lacked the hand strength to pull the trigger or cock the hammer with just one hand. I ended up selling it on here a few weeks ago.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Please do not get anyone a defensive firearm in 22lr.

25acp is meant for that purpose. It is infinitely more reliable.

Both are wholely inadequate for defense against things bigger than rodents. I think she'd do just fine with a 32acp, and that with FMJs will get the job done even though it's on the low end of power.

I'd recommend a beretta tomcat in 32acp. It's a tilting barrel gun, so she does not have to rack the slide, just drop a round in the barrel, close it, and insert the magazine. As for the price, how much is a life worth?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Please do not get anyone a defensive firearm in 22lr.

25acp is meant for that purpose. It is infinitely more reliable.

Both are wholely inadequate for defense against things bigger than rodents. I think she'd do just fine with a 32acp, and that with FMJs will get the job done even though it's on the low end of power.

I'd recommend a beretta tomcat in 32acp. It's a tilting barrel gun, so she does not have to rack the slide, just drop a round in the barrel, close it, and insert the magazine. As for the price, how much is a life worth?

I already talked to her about that she's dead set on a 22lr.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll do that tomorrow morning. She's pretty set in her ways so I'll drop the information and let her contemplate.

If she's dead set on .22 then I'd suggest a revolver. If a round fails to fire then another trigger pull is all that's needed to cycle the cylinder and get a new round ready to go.

A Taurus 992 Tracker might be a good starting point. 9 rounds of .22 magnum with a full sized frame and 4" barrel.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...er-22-magnum-22lr-4-barrel-9-rounds?a=1831619

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    My brother just picked up a Ruger LCP2 lite rack in 22lr. His wife has the same issue with cocking a 38 special or manipulating a slide on a 380 size auto. She was able to work the slide, safety and slide release just fine. might be worth taking a look at. he did find it prefers the subsonic or standard velocity ammo. some of the high velocity would lock the slide back during firing. the subsonics worked flawlessly. My guess was the light spring on the slide.

lilop

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    ....my son is 13yrs old, but very small for his age....not particularly good hand strength either....I bought him a Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact about a year ago....he’s able to rack it fine, with absolutely no issues whatsoever....VERY low recoil....accurate as well....but more importantly, it’s been 100% reliable, and that’s with every type of ammo I’ve thrown at it....CCI Stingers, Golden Bucket, Winchester....EVERYTHING....there have been the occasional fail to fires, but they’ve all been ammo related, and even they have been rare....the slide is incredibly easy to manipulate, so a simple tap/rack/bang gets even ammo issues out of the way....I highly recommend it....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBv0ES8J0TC/?igshid=1u3j1itjn4gd

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    ....my son is 13yrs old, but very small for his age....not particularly good hand strength either....I bought him a Smith & Wesson M&P22 Compact about a year ago....he’s able to rack it fine, with absolutely no issues whatsoever....VERY low recoil....accurate as well....but more importantly, it’s been 100% reliable, and that’s with every type of ammo I’ve thrown at it....CCI Stingers, Golden Bucket, Winchester....EVERYTHING....there have been the occasional fail to fires, but they’ve all been ammo related, and even they have been rare....the slide is incredibly easy to manipulate, so a simple tap/rack/bang gets even ammo issues out of the way....I highly recommend it....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBv0ES8J0TC/?igshid=1u3j1itjn4gd

That's awesome! Time spent with our kids at the range is building memories and essential life skills all at once. Good Dad right there

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Is an 83 year old woman gonna have the where with all to do things like clear malfunctions under stress?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Is an 83 year old woman gonna have the where with all to do things like clear malfunctions under stress?
    That's the reason I went with a revolver for my mom initially. Pick it up, pull trigger, go bang. No worries about safeties, one in the chamber, racking slides, changing mags. I still may end up giving her one of my old .38 Smiths with a better trigger than the Charter .22mag I bought her originally, and loading it with Hornady light load SD ammo.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If she's dead set on .22LR, Claude Werner recommends mitigating the reliability concern by using only high quality match grade ammunition. The quality control is much higher since match shooters can't afford to drop a shot because of ignition failure. I'm told match shooters routinely run 4k rounds between such failures.

And, as a bit of encouragement for her:

"In Claude's lifetime study of defensive gun uses, he has yet to find a single case where an armed citizen was killed by a criminal after the criminal had taken at least one .22 round. In the case of civilian defensive gun usage, the criminal almost always flees after the first hit. I have been unable to find any gunfights that prove Claude wrong." [1]

I'm not saying .22LR would be my "go to" choice, but if that's all she can handle, do what you can to encourage her, and get her out to the range to build some proficiency.

[1] - https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/using-22-self-defense

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've got her talked into a 38 special revolver. I Told her they make light recoil rounds for them. I also told her i would pay for a trigger job if she needed a smoother lighter trigger. She accepted that on those terms.
    So now gentlemen what are your recommendations for a 38 special revolver 2-3" barrel for around $300.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If she's dead set on .22LR, Claude Werner recommends mitigating the reliability concern by using only high quality match grade ammunition. The quality control is much higher since match shooters can't afford to drop a shot because of ignition failure. I'm told match shooters routinely run 4k rounds between such failures.

And, as a bit of encouragement for her:

"In Claude's lifetime study of defensive gun uses, he has yet to find a single case where an armed citizen was killed by a criminal after the criminal had taken at least one .22 round. In the case of civilian defensive gun usage, the criminal almost always flees after the first hit. I have been unable to find any gunfights that prove Claude wrong." [1]

I'm not saying .22LR would be my "go to" choice, but if that's all she can handle, do what you can to encourage her, and get her out to the range to build some proficiency.

[1] - https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/using-22-self-defense

Thank you for that informative post. I appreciate all of your advice in this matter.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've got her talked into a 38 special revolver. I Told her they make light recoil rounds for them. I also told her i would pay for a trigger job if she needed a smoother lighter trigger. She accepted that on those terms.
    So now gentlemen what are your recommendations for a 38 special revolver 2-3" barrel for around $300.

Old school Taurus 85? Little over 300 can get you into smith & lcr territory

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County

I like the Ruger LCR series. A good NEW revolver in 38 special will likely cost more than $300, so perhaps you could locate a used one.

One possible alternative is a Taurus revolver, but I don't know much about them. I think they have a few in that price range.

Last edited:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm not a gentleman :) , but I have been around the block a few times with Smith revolvers. My best shooting .38 is a police trade-in model 64 that I got on Gunbroker. Trigger is broken in and it's very accurate. I got it 4-5 years ago for $299. Not sure they are still available for that price. I don't know that they came in 2-3" barrels... most are probably 4".

There are also plenty of police trade-in model 10's that would fit the bill. I have had four or five M10's and they have all been decent shooters. Two have been snubnose. I sold one and still have one. I doubt you will hit the price point you want. Will probably be closer to the $400-450 range.

My M15 also has a great trigger. Pretty much any Smith K-frame would work with a trigger job or a well broken-in trigger. You may have to pay a bit more than a Ruger, Taurus, or Charter Arms.

Another option is an LCR. I have a .357 LCR that I keep loaded with .38+P. It also comes in .38. For as small as it is, the recoil is not as bad as a smaller frame Smith. Again, not going to be at your price point. Closer to $450.

Top Bottom