Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Question Need advice for defense pistol./revolver.

A friend of mine ask me to help find a reliable 22lr pistol or revolver for her 83 year old mother who was asking for one for self defense. She wants a 22lr because she's very frail and can't handle much recoil or a handgun that will weigh to much. So something light weight user friendly and reliable in 22lr handgun.

I'm not sure what the market has in this line now days, your help would be greatly appreciated.

The other stipulation is it must be $300 or less before taxes.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

I will share my recent experience. My 87-year-old mom expressed interest in getting a gun, and we had about the same criteria (.22 and in the $300-350-ish range). I got a Charter Arms Pathfinder, and I found that she lacked the hand strength to pull the trigger or cock the hammer with just one hand. I ended up selling it on here a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by 04FXSTS View Post
    If God created anything better than dogs and S&W revolvers he kept it for his self.

User Info Menu

Please do not get anyone a defensive firearm in 22lr.

25acp is meant for that purpose. It is infinitely more reliable.

Both are wholely inadequate for defense against things bigger than rodents. I think she'd do just fine with a 32acp, and that with FMJs will get the job done even though it's on the low end of power.

I'd recommend a beretta tomcat in 32acp. It's a tilting barrel gun, so she does not have to rack the slide, just drop a round in the barrel, close it, and insert the magazine. As for the price, how much is a life worth?
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

Marksman

User Info Menu

Taurus pt22?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Please do not get anyone a defensive firearm in 22lr.

25acp is meant for that purpose. It is infinitely more reliable.

Both are wholely inadequate for defense against things bigger than rodents. I think she'd do just fine with a 32acp, and that with FMJs will get the job done even though it's on the low end of power.

I'd recommend a beretta tomcat in 32acp. It's a tilting barrel gun, so she does not have to rack the slide, just drop a round in the barrel, close it, and insert the magazine. As for the price, how much is a life worth?
    I already talked to her about that she's dead set on a 22lr.
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I already talked to her about that she's dead set on a 22lr.
    Explain to her that 25acp is identical to 22lr, except it is center fire and more reliable.
    Do not interrupt your enemy while they are making a mistake.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tombs View Post
    Explain to her that 25acp is identical to 22lr, except it is center fire and more reliable.
    I'll do that tomorrow morning. She's pretty set in her ways so I'll drop the information and let her contemplate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I'll do that tomorrow morning. She's pretty set in her ways so I'll drop the information and let her contemplate.
    If she's dead set on .22 then I'd suggest a revolver. If a round fails to fire then another trigger pull is all that's needed to cycle the cylinder and get a new round ready to go.

A Taurus 992 Tracker might be a good starting point. 9 rounds of .22 magnum with a full sized frame and 4" barrel.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1831619
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Semi-Moderator

User Info Menu

I'll suggest a Ruger LCR, either in .22lr or maybe talk her into 22 mag.

Need help posting Pictures? GO HERE for imgur
    >>>>>>>>>>
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...ing-video.html

How to embed a YouTube video....
    https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/f...st7836731NGOer

# 22951

User Info Menu

My brother just picked up a Ruger LCP2 lite rack in 22lr. His wife has the same issue with cocking a 38 special or manipulating a slide on a 380 size auto. She was able to work the slide, safety and slide release just fine. might be worth taking a look at. he did find it prefers the subsonic or standard velocity ammo. some of the high velocity would lock the slide back during firing. the subsonics worked flawlessly. My guess was the light spring on the slide.

"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast