• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    Everyone knows that .22’s are great for plinking. But after a while you start to test your skills and equipment by taking longer shots.

One day at the range a friend told me that my 10/22, or maybe it was me, couldn’t shoot at the 200yd line. I took it as a challenge and started to practice. That quickly made me learn how to adjust the scope and get a beginners understanding of MOA.
    That summer I also tried multiple types of ammo and fell in love with CCI Standard Velocity ammo. It’s not as fast as others but it is very consistent even at longer distances.
    I’ve been able to stretch it out to 230 yds and hit a 6” mark 15 out of 25 shots. I feel accomplished because of what I had learned along the way. Now I find myself looking for a bolt action to increase accuracy and see just how far I could shoot with at least a 80% hit rate. At least that seems like something that would challenge me and be frustrating yet rewarding once achieved.

Curious, what is the farthest you think a great 22 will shoot consistently? How far have you practiced at and what did you do to improve?

Attachments

• EE047251-65B2-49EF-ACA4-EA69871660BD.jpg
      EE047251-65B2-49EF-ACA4-EA69871660BD.jpg
      133.3 KB · Views: 46

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It depends on what you consider "consistent". I can tell you that with wolf match out of my CZ 452, I have 202 MOA of drop at 700 yards. Longer range rimfire (300-400 yards) is the best pratice you can get. Shooting a 22 at 400 yards is more dificult than a 6.5 creedmoor at 100 for sure.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Technically it's as consistent farther out as it is closer up but the absolute spread is greater because geometry. That being said, downrange ballistics will play a bigger part (wind, drag/drop). 200yds is good but there are others (like Alan) that push farther. after a certain skill level (and equipment) centerfire under 200 is like cheating, LR .22lr stays challenging.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    (But it's a lot more fun to spend a day behind a 22 than a typical precision rifle.)

That is the truth. The older you get the more you will appreciate the soft recoil.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    you hit the mail on the head. Working towards shooting the longer distances will force me to learn those aspects that are unknown to me now. Like downrange ballistics lol.

That’s why I enjoy it so much. Plus, it’s so affordable to really take as many shots as you want or need to.

I do feel that I’m at my limits with a semi-auto and will need to get a bolt action. At least that’s the justification I’ve came up with to buy another one. So far I’m really seeing The CZ 452/457MTR or an Anschutz<sp> would be good bolt actions to use. Are there any others out there, under $1000, that are as accurate ?

Technically it's as consistent farther out as it is closer up but the absolute spread is greater because geometry. That being said, downrange ballistics will play a bigger part (wind, drag/drop). 200yds is good but there are others (like Alan) that push farther. after a certain skill level (and equipment) centerfire under 200 is like cheating, LR .22lr stays challenging.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    you hit the mail on the head. Working towards shooting the longer distances will force me to learn those aspects that are unknown to me now. Like downrange ballistics lol.

That’s why I enjoy it so much. Plus, it’s so affordable to really take as many shots as you want or need to.

I do feel that I’m at my limits with a semi-auto and will need to get a bolt action. At least that’s the justification I’ve came up with to buy another one. So far I’m really seeing The CZ 452/457MTR or an Anschutz<sp> would be good bolt actions to use. Are there any others out there, under $1000, that are as accurate ?

Ruger american target, ruger precision rimfire are both very capable

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I haven't stretched mine out past 100 yards, but my Savage B22fv-sr is a tack driver. My Dead Air Mask suppressor should be ready to pick up in about 2 weeks, and I'm anxious to see how it affects the accuracy.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've shot my T1x at 150 (furthest I can shoot at home) a few times. Yeah, its a real challenge! One big thing I've found is your ammo had better be very, very consistent. Like low double digit SD consistent. Maybe one of these days I'll get off my lazy rear and extend my range to 200!

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    I've shot my T1x at 150 (furthest I can shoot at home) a few times. Yeah, its a real challenge! One big thing I've found is your ammo had better be very, very consistent.

very true. I found CCI Standard Velocity to have that consistency in my 10/22 and my Mark IV. I tried several others but never had the results as I did cci. Aguila is just plain dirty and inconsistent. I got a lot of jams with them. Wildcat, couldn’t even shoot a mag without some sort of issue. Federal was pretty good and what I shot before trying to go farther than 50yds. But just not consistent enough for longer distances. Eele is just too expensive.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good thread: feeds my anticipation of shooting more than 25 yds. indoors. :laugh:
    Hopefully, next month I'll get into an outdoor range where opportunity awaits.
    I'll start with 50 yds., I've only shot steel at that range once at MCF&G.
    We'll see if I can work up to 100 yds. :dunno:
    I have a feeling that 200 yds. involves a whole different set of tools. :scratch:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Had my CZ pinging 6” at 200 a couple months ago at HHRP. It’s certainly possible. A load your rifle likes and that you know is all you need.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Totally amazing to me!
    Well if the winds aren’t steady or mild, this can’t happen. But if conditions help you out, it’s feasible and not even that hard if you consider that it’s just 3moa accuracy and better .22s in good conditions can go about 1.5 moa.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Now that we're talking about it I do remember setting up a 6" plate at 200 yards last summer and ringing it regularly that day. Must be an HHRP thing. My data indicates ~24 MOA holdover with my Kidd "10/22" and SK Long Range Match ammo.

That combination has done this at 50 and 100 yards...

bvIDRLa.jpg

7OSsJKH.jpg

fsIxBuN.jpg

I'm going to have to put it on paper at 200.

Top Bottom