Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Private party sales - what's the common etiquette?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    And maybe trade FFL03's.
    If applicable lol
    “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.” -Chesty Puller

User Info Menu

A lot of good responses here.

Personally I won't do sale outside of INGO unless it's with a person I know in real life. Too many randos on sites like Armslist for my taste. At least here you can get some sense of who the member is before agreeing to the deal.

I ask to see state issued ID. I don't really need to know anything beyond that.
    Well, I ain't always right but I've never been wrong,
    seldom turns out the way it does in a song.
    Once in a while you get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    We do all of our personal transactions at gun shows or the parking lot of the local police department. I usually arrive early and let the front desk know whats up if they are open.
    I guess it depends on the city.

When the FWPD was at their old location, that's the absolute last place I'd want to be seen doing a transaction. That's some rough turf.

Now it's downtown in the county building, so you'd effectively be standing almost in the courthouse square. Then you gotta mess with downtown parking...
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Most gun stores aren't going to want you buying and selling guns inside their store...
    Some don't even like you doing it in their parking lot, if they know about it. I have met in the parking lots of large retailers most of the times.
    THIS. Or even anywhere on their property. I was once swapping boxes of ammo with another member (he had 9 I wanted, I had 45 he wanted) and we were confronted by an employee coming in from his break. He reprimanded us at first, but once he learned it wasnt a gun and was just a swap of ammo he was cool.

The only time you should be meeting a buyer/seller at a gun store is to take it inside so they can do a transfer because one of you felt it was necessary. (its not)

Quote Originally Posted by 1775usmarine View Post
    I give you cash you give me firearm.
    This. In Indiana, you only have to NOT know they are improper. You dont have to positively know by running a background check. So I could sell to you not knowing you without a problem. But if my sister in law's friend wanted to buy my gun and I had heard from her in passing that he spent time in federal prison, that would be a no go because I know he is not a "proper person".

Quote Originally Posted by rhrlaw View Post
    Makes sense, and I appreciate all the responses. I think the gun stores in CA see the transactions as beneficial because it brings in foot traffic and most people wind up buying ammo, holsters, accessories, etc. when they're there. Driver's license + carry permit seems reasonable.
    No, they dont want the liability. They would definitely welcome you bringing it in to pay them to do a transfer, but if they arent getting a cut of the sale, they dont want any part of it. In my story above one of the concerns was some passers by might see the sale and report it as a straw purchase assuming that I had just purchased the gun from that store, and was reselling it in the parking lot for a profit to somebody who wouldnt pass the background check.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Freeman View Post
    A confused cop is an arresty cop.
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    also, where do we sign up to touch Frank's equipment?

Master

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JettaKnight View Post
    I guess it depends on the city.

When the FWPD was at their old location, that's the absolute last place I'd want to be seen doing a transaction. That's some rough turf.

Now it's downtown in the county building, so you'd effectively be standing almost in the courthouse square. Then you gotta mess with downtown parking...
    I get it, I live in north madison co, so its going to be Anderson, Chesterfield, Frankton, Alex, Elwood, Summitville or Fairmount for the big part.
    I want the transaction to be on video.... And I know the local PD lot will be on video.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat." ~Eldridge Cleaver

User Info Menu

Did my last deal in the St.John Police dept lobby. can't get much safer. Told them when I went in what I wanted to do and they said fine.

User Info Menu

It's my understanding that an FFL is risking their license to allow third party sales of firearms anywhere on their property.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1775usmarine View Post
    I give you cash you give me firearm.
    Haven't I met you in some parking lot somewhere? Or maybe the range? or was it at Shoop's?

To the 50 Post Rules Suck crowd, this is why we want to get to know you.

2+2=4

Expert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2A_Tom View Post

To the 50 Post Rules Suck crowd, this is why we want to get to know you.
    And this is what has made my purchases here less stressful. I feel like I already know the person either because I read their posts in threads I follow or they have bought and sold to members I recognize when looking at the history of transactions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Pigeon View Post
    We do all of our personal transactions at gun shows or the parking lot of the local police department. I usually arrive early and let the front desk know whats up if they are open.
    ^^^ This is very good advice. The other place I typically do transactions is a bank parking lot.

I just don't feel safe in gun free zones...

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast