Another Buyer Beware Do Not Become a Victim Like Me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I just want to put this out to you all and pass along to friends and acquaintances. I cannot be anymore serious about this than I am.I'm embarrassed to admit this,but if it saves someone else it is worth the embarrassment. I just got scammed for $1070.00 on ArmsList 3-days ago. If you think it cannot happen to you...you are WRONG.I have been doing on-line gun deals on GB for 20 years. Thought I could spot a scammer a mile away. This was my first experience EVER buying on ArmsList and it will be my last. The women/thief/scum-bag was from New Jersey (so they said).Everything she presented(ID etc...) appeared super legitimate and the price of the rifle as not super low or anything to send up a red flag. I have alerted ArmsList but they will and can do nothing. Just wanted to pass this along. STAY AWAY FROM ARMSLIST!!!!! Don't care what they have. Get it somewhere else.:xmad:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That blows, Winamac. Seriously feel for you bud. What pay method was used?

And if others have experience, what is the most safe payment tool (besides ftf transactions, obviously)?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sorry to hear you got taken.

I only use Armslist for local FTF transactions.

If I cant find what I'm looking for local then I'll only deal with reputable online dealers

I do wish Armslist could put a feedback system like Ingo, Ebay, Gunbroker, etc has. It would help with vetting people that much easier.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    Sorry to hear you got taken.

I only use Armslist for local FTF transactions.

If I cant find what I'm looking for local then I'll only deal with reputable online dealers

I do wish Armslist could put a feedback system like Ingo, Ebay, Gunbroker, etc has. It would help with vetting people that much easier.

this and at a safe location

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    The scammers are getting much better at their craft.
    I used to post on how to spot a scammer, then thought the scammers can read those same posts.
    I routinely flag what I know are scams on armslist, it takes several people to flag a scam to get the post removed from armslist.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Never tried Armslist, and never will. Just heard and seen too much sketchiness. Won't use craigslist for the same reasons. Sorry to hear this happened to you Winamac! :xmad:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Armslist is inundated with scammers. Fortunately you can spot 90% of them with a few red flags:

Anytime you see a price way too low you can assume it's fake. And its a scam if the info is obviously copy/pasted from gunbroker or manufacturers website.

00l0l_4n0DSPdjYCp_0bC0hV_1200x900.jpg

If they have something collectible at a price that may seem too good to be true...and an out of state area code, it's a scam.

00101_2jpKbpwLeHc_0bC0i0_1200x900.jpg

And another subtle red flag is if they have just registered to Armslist that same day and the location is "Indiana, Indiana" it's most definitely a scam.

00909_80m62bu4bxw_0bC0hT_1200x900.jpg

ARRAY

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Griffith
    Dam sorry to hear about that. It is getting so bad with scams and thieves out there, that if I cant find something locally I'll just wait till I can. Again sorry to hear about this.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    What's the username / email of the person that scammed you?

In her e-mails to me prior to payment she used Lorraine Hall. Then on Cash App (payment method) she went by Carol Kibbe. Her e-mail used during our correspondence prior to me agreeing to buy was [FONT=&quot]gundeals0090@gmail.com It is also the e-mail used on Armslist.[/FONT]

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I'm guessing you are talking about buying a gun from out of state? I would NEVER buy a gun from out of state on Armslist. Armslist is for local face-to-face transactions only. I've sold a few guns on Armslist locally and have never had a problem.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Can you post a link to the ad?

I’ve noticed they have come long way in perfecting their craft. I no longer post how to spot scammers as they just keep getting better.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Be aware we have a scammer that is working Ingo. They have figured out the visitor message system and have taken a couple of members money.
    People please, if you are so upside down anxious to sell a gun or some parts then price it fairly and use the classies like we have them set up. If someone comes in the back door then a red flag should go up but apparently either greed or need and people get scammed.

We have worked very hard to build a safe and reliable place to deal. Yet people still manage to step on their package when the opportunity presents itself.

This is the number that keeps coming up. If you see it please report it and do not respond. If you do I will smile and move on. Its on you.

Mr Johnson 313-349-0208.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    This goes for any online classified using a fee free service. Armslist is a great local resource. Distance deals Apulia only be done somewhere that
    A. Establishes reputation like a forum
    B. Through a broker site that gets a fee and guarantees your deal.
    C. PayPal with fees for non firearm related goods.
    D. Postal money order for everything gun related.
    Other than that face to face only.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This goes for any online classified using a fee free service. Armslist is a great local resource. Distance deals Apulia only be done somewhere that
    A. Establishes reputation like a forum
    B. Through a broker site that gets a fee and guarantees your deal.
    C. PayPal with fees for non firearm related goods.
    D. Postal money order for everything gun related.
    Other than that face to face only.

Assuming that is for protection, assuming postal inspectors, etc will come down hard on them for defrauding the govt, I wouldnt count in it. They are too busy with everything else to worry about your $500 loss.

Local sales only, cash in hand, or if you MUST cross state lines use some kind of escrow service to protect your money.

Non face to face transactions just arent worth it anymore, IMHO. Risk is too high due to scammers.

Top Bottom