• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Me and the kids hit the range today. Just plinking with the rimfires at first. Then I let my 9 year old boy try a 9mm pistol. A few weeks ago, he tried a few shots with one and liked it.

I had brought a few with me for me to shoot. A full size 1911, a 5.25 XDm and my EDC, a 4" XDs. He tried the 1911 first. This is one shot in the mag, as always to start, at a time. He didn't do to bad, mostly getting used to the recoil. Then he tried the XDm. Again mostly just putting lead in the direction of the target.

Then I asked if he wanted to try the XDs. He said sure. I gave him an empty pistol and had him dry fire it a couple of times like I had some with the other pistols. Then loaded one round in the mag and chambered it. I gave it to him and he rang the hanging plate at 25 yards. So I repeated it. Another ding. I loaded 3 and he got 2 dings. Then I loaded 5 and recorded the results.

[video=youtube_share;p4j-ox1oUI0]http://youtu.be/p4j-ox1oUI0[/video]

Yeah. He likes the XDs.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    Yep, good to go, great job.
    My replacement just turned four, fishing is all we can do now, but in ten years, its Glock City!

No reason to wait 10 years.. I had my youngest shooting 22 rifle by 6 and 22 pistol shortly thereafter. I'm sure he was shooting centerfire pistol by 10. Get them started as early as possible so they will learn to love it before they get pulled away by other activities. Wait until they are 14 and they are already starting to look to school sports and dating, and won't want to go to the range with Dad for a new activity. It goes fast. Make the most of it.

--Rick

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    What Rick said. My boy has been shooting for over 4 years. This is his picture of him after his first shots in March of 2016.

S6vNcm5.jpg

A small 22 rifle is perfect. If you have a suppressor, all the better. 22 shorts work well too.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Awesome!! Great job!

Excellent coaching, I noticed the start of the leaning back on the heels and you were right on it! Looks like he listens well. My son did the same thing when he stepped up to 9mm from .22

Nothing better than a day at the range with the kid. Heck, my boy took best group of the day on our last range outing 2 weeks ago. Dad will be out for revenge here in a couple days

Top Bottom