Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    Free 5-year firearms, handgun licenses starting July 1

Indiana and will it do away with the 4473

You will still have to do the 4473, just not have to wait around on the background check, if I understood it right. I have my lifetime license, but will still have to do the NICS check because it is not a recently issued license.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    False as posted.

It will not do away with the 4473. They just wont have to call it in for approval. Fill out the form, you both sign it, you pay, then walk out the door.

But I think somebody said its not a 100% done deal yet for that aspect of the 5 year. Something about the feds having to approve it and I dont think they could until it goes into effect.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The last time someone asked this, I believe they said we would have to be NICS approved and that won't happen for some time to avoid the background check.

ETA: looks like cameramonkey beat me to it.

Ddillard

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 29, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I believe you will still have to do a 4473 for a gun transaction. The license is set up to be in compliance with regulations to be exempt.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Was really hoping that the lifetime license was included on getting rid of one of the fees. I believe with the 5 year they just got rid of the $75 state fee, still have the $50 local fee.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    False as posted.

It will not do away with the 4473. They just wont have to call it in for approval. Fill out the form, you both sign it, you pay, then walk out the door.

But I think somebody said its not a 100% done deal yet for that aspect of the 5 year. Something about the feds having to approve it and I dont think they could until it goes into effect.

Indiana is not on the NICS approved list to bypass the background check, something about our rules and regs to own a firearm and be approved for a LTCH. That's what is holding up the bypass, it appears
    that the approval from NICS has to come within the 5 year lifespan of these new licenses. They're saying if you have a lifetime you'd need to also get one of the new 5yrs to be able to do the bypass if it gets approved.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Was really hoping that the lifetime license was included on getting rid of one of the fees. I believe with the 5 year they just got rid of the $75 state fee, still have the $50 local fee.

... and a fee for your prints, and maybe a “processing” fee. I’m interested to see how much these so-called “free” licenses end up costing.

Kozaturf

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 21, 2020
    Westville-ish
    Are you saying that someone can have both? Lifetime AND 5 year?

From what I've read, heard and understood. Yes. The 5 year would cover you for the background bypass IF Indiana gets approval from NICS. Your lifetime would still cover you like it does now.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    From what I've read, heard and understood. Yes. The 5 year would cover you for the background bypass IF Indiana gets approval from NICS. Your lifetime would still cover you like it does now.

You are correct sir! That language was in the bill from when it started in 2018 IIRC. The NICS exempt feature (whenever ATF gets their collective **** together) was the driver behind holding both the lifetime and 5-year LTCH.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I hope Pandora’s Box was not opened on this work around all for just avoiding Nics. The amendments and curtailments to follow just might change our already gun friendly state into somewhat of unintended consequences. Let’s hope not.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I hope Pandora’s Box was not opened on this work around all for just avoiding Nics. The amendments and curtailments to follow just might change our already gun friendly state into somewhat of unintended consequences. Let’s hope not.

One of the side effects is supposedly since the only ones making any $$ for their work are the fingerprinters. The hope is to get LEO brass on board with Constitutional Carry so they can stop doing all this free labor now that everybody is requesting them to do work for nothing.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Because they don't get paid to do their jobs?
    At Summer Study in 2017 it became Real obvious real quick that this was about money. The cost to run the system was obviously much less than what was coming in by the reaction of people representing groups that represent the police.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    While the new 5 year, if approved by the ATF, will do away with the required NICS check it is still up to the retailer if they want to go that route. My guess is most of the bigger retailers will still require a NICS checks even though it's not required. Too many shyster attorneys chomping at the bit to file a suit if someone who has a license that was revoked but never got turned in falls through the cracks, obtains a firearm and then does something heinous. I can hear it now, "If only they would have taken the 5 minutes to run the NICS check this tragedy would have been prevent." I just don't see how it's going to change much as to doing the NICS check unless you have a good relationship with a small local FFL.

Top Bottom